Thread Options
#117094 - 09/24/03 04:23 PM Altered Checks
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of our branches cashed some checks drawn on another bank that had been altered. I have already collected restitution on these items....(we were very fortunate). Someone from mangmt. felt like I should still report this to local authorties....I haven't before...remember the checks have been picked up and paid.... what do you think?

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#117095 - 09/24/03 07:09 PM Re: Altered Checks
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
I'm still learning, but it seems to me that a police report would be out since there are no losses or damages, but I wonder about filing a SAR, since there was an 'attempt' to defraud - and that's what SAR's help track.

Return to Top
#117096 - 09/25/03 08:14 PM Re: Altered Checks
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
As far as a SAR is concerned, it would depend on the amount of the fraudulent checks and that would also depend on whether or not the suspect was known.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#117097 - 10/09/03 01:19 PM Re: Altered Checks
Dana Turner Offline

Platinum Poster
Dana Turner
Pipe Creek TX - U.S.
Folks:

I've said this SO many times: PLEASE FILE A REPORT WITH YOUR LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY WHENEVER YOU BELIEVE THAT A CRIME HAS BEEN COMMITTED, EVEN IF THERE'S NO LOSS TO YOU!

By not reporting events such as this, you deprive the agency of valuable information and tools that its officers may use in resolving other crimes. I'm pleased that you got your money back -- but that only means that someone else lost.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z