Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#117139 - 09/24/03 05:03 PM West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I'm glad they are back, even though I do not care for the current story line. I enjoy it when the show depends on the quality of its writing rather than an attempt to create suspense.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#117140 - 09/24/03 05:53 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
Miss Dixie Offline
Miss Dixie
Call me shallow, Ken, but I LOVE this story line! John Goodman as President? Fabulous! The real pandering starts when they bring on Roseanne as First Lady...

Return to Top
#117141 - 09/24/03 06:04 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
My husband and I watched last week, the rerun of last season's cliffhanger. We both wonder how TV can have such intelligent, engaging shows like the West Wing, then hit us with brain numbing stuff like the Mullets, Bachelorette, Race for the Altar, etc.

I am looking forward to seeing how the Lyon's Den does. It is supposed to have a good ensemble cast.

Return to Top
#117142 - 09/24/03 06:10 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
I've never sat through a segment of West Wing. But my husband loves it. He is an avid watcher.

I must admit that the advertisements for the premiere were quite tempting.

Return to Top
#117143 - 09/24/03 06:43 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:

when they bring on Roseanne as First Lady

Agggghhhh! All I can say is maybe she could get a cameo as a member of the cleaning staff.

I am still in mourning for Ainsley Hayes and I miss Sam too, but not in the same way.

Nanwa, be careful, you are dropping shells very close to a number of nearby threads that will have a lot more "views" than this one.

Return to Top
#117144 - 09/24/03 07:01 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Love, love, love West Wing!!!

Do you suppose those people in the real jobs know all that stuff, chapter and verse, like the actors do? I know if the President told me that he was "invoking article XX"; I'd have to go look it up to know what he was talking about.

Return to Top
#117145 - 09/24/03 07:02 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I just gotta be me, Ken!

As for Ainsley withdrawal, watch CSI:Miami on Monday nights. Emily Proctor is there now. They have softened her hairstyle, so her character is less rigid. But she still has that southern sass and class!

Return to Top
#117146 - 09/24/03 07:16 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
I like her new 'do! Definitely hasn't changed her attitude, though. I love it!

Return to Top
#117147 - 09/24/03 07:20 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
lblu Offline
Gold Star
lblu
Quote:

Do you suppose those people in the real jobs know all that stuff, chapter and verse, like the actors do? I know if the President told me that he was "invoking article XX"; I'd have to go look it up to know what he was talking about.

We do it everyday with regulations...we hear 226.5b and know we're talking about reg z and home equity lines.

Return to Top
#117148 - 09/24/03 07:57 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Nanwa,
Yes, but it was actually Ainsley I liked, not the actress. It was kind of like Angie Harmon's character on Law and Order: smart, focused and relentless. Yet everytime I see Angie Harmon interviewed on television I find myself wondering exactly how long her supply of oxygen was interrupted.

Soccer Mom,
Every Wednesday night I tell myself it's true, they are that smart, they are that dedicated and they are trying desperately to do the right thing. Then, when I wake up on Thursday morning, the illusion is gone.

Return to Top
#117149 - 09/24/03 10:15 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Ken, and oh are they quick on wed. night. No aaahhh, weeellll, they come back so fast that I really have to pay attention. Sometimes it's just too fast for this poor little Mississippi girl to keep up with ---- and I'm not even from the South!!! I bet this show has twice the dialog of most dramas.

Return to Top
#117150 - 09/24/03 10:28 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
It will be interesting to see if the writing and pace of the show will be the same since Aaron Sorkin "left" the show. I have seen two reviews in the past two days - both of them said that the writing is not the same. USA Today's review this morning was not that positive. The other review (I can't remember where I saw it) said the show was better in some ways, not as good in others.

I hope USA Today is wrong. I guess we'll see.

Return to Top
#117151 - 09/25/03 12:05 AM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Quote:

Yet everytime I see Angie Harmon interviewed on television I find myself wondering exactly how long her supply of oxygen was interrupted.

Just long enough for her to marry a Giants player.

Return to Top
#117152 - 09/25/03 12:32 AM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Let me see if I have this right. We have Congress authorizing money--but not authority--to the FTC for the do not call list. We have the USA Patriot Act eroding civil liberties for the illusion of security. We have the Federal Reserve Board making last minute changes to HMDA that even their own employees are not fully versed in (See the Lending Compliance forum).

And yet people are enamored of the portrayal of government on "West Wing" because they 1) seem so dedicated, 2) speak so cleverly, and 3) act so quickly? Hello?? Talk about mind-numbing.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but doesn't it seem that an awful lot of regulatory effluence is spewn by people who are very dedicated, well educated, and given to acting precipitously?

OK, diatribe over (sorry about the quality of my verbiage. Aaron Sorkin doesn't write for me, so I have to craft my words without the benefit of controlled substances).

Return to Top
#117153 - 09/25/03 01:12 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Soccermom, I know what you mean! Last night, my husband asked what did they mean when they were talking so fast and I had to tell him to wait for the next commercial or we'd miss something. Then the next commercial, I was asking him what they meant. I do like that though. It forces me to pay attention to keep up with the dialog and story line.

Ken, Although Emily Proctor is not playing Ainsley on CSI:Miami, I think you would like her character. She is the ballistics expert. Strong, independent, no-nonsense, quick witted. I just wish I could remember the character's full name. Calli something. (Senior moment!)

Return to Top
#117154 - 09/25/03 04:34 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
It's Calli Duquayne (sp?) - pronounced du-cane.

Return to Top
#117155 - 09/25/03 08:05 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I loved the episode where she walks into the gun safe, looks at all the weapons and sighs in that sweet southern accent "Be still my beating heart." She truely loves her job!

Return to Top
#117156 - 09/25/03 08:14 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
I have watched West Wing since it began and love it. I usually like the wit and writing that the show has in it. However, I am not trilled with the way the shows portrays republicans lately. Big, loud, ready to blow something up, and one of the cast actually used the word fascist in describing one republican last night. That is over the top in my book. Yet, it is the democratic president on the show who had a leader of another country killed.

I like the twist about John Goodman's character going to name a VP. That is the kind of unexpected twist that I love about the show.

Return to Top
#117157 - 09/25/03 08:37 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
John Goodman's character is acting like a "good ol' boy", but I'll bet he is smarter/craftier than he has let on so far.

Return to Top
#117158 - 09/26/03 01:38 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
LCM Offline
LCM
I love the show, and I love it that Bravo is showing reruns. God bless syndication.

Return to Top
#117159 - 09/29/03 02:13 AM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
This IS one of my favorites. The wit is great, the comedy is great and I too was thrilled to see John Goodman, "you're dismissed Mr. President".

But I didn't think the premier was as much as I expected. I think they do have a new writer, as I think about it now. And I agree that Ainsley and Sam will be missed. They played off each other well, but were certainly not dependent on one another.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#117160 - 10/01/03 06:54 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
LCM Offline
LCM
So, who will be watching the show tonight? Do you think Zoey will live? If not, what do your think the acting president is going to "blow the h#!% out of"?

Return to Top
#117161 - 10/01/03 07:34 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
I think/hope Zoey survives - enough of the story lines revolve around, including the on-again/off-again romance with ??? (Pres Bartlett's Asst). Even being a
'good' Republican (don't throw things, please) - I do enjoy this show!

Return to Top
#117162 - 10/01/03 07:36 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
LCM Offline
LCM
Zoey's on/off boyfriend's name is Charlie. I like his character very much. I hope they keep Zoey on the show as well.

Return to Top
#117163 - 10/01/03 09:27 PM Re: West Wing Season Premiere Tonight
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Zoey will surely survive. I am sincerely irritated that they put her in jeopardy just so they wouldn't be under so much pressure to write good scripts.

I've started watching re-runs on Bravo and was thrilled to find the first season on DVD. (Amazon.com has the best price.) Season two is available in Europe, but apparently the disc is intentionally rigged not to work on DVD players sold in the U.S. (Okay, techies, jump all over me, I'm ready!)

I've always wondered what they would do if the show lasted so long he had already been re-elected once. Pass a constitutional amendment? Do you think they might boot President Bartlett in favor of John Goodman's character! Man, that would be a jolt!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2