Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#117238 - 09/24/03 07:14 PM National No Call List Struck Down
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
So the courts deem the right to irritate consumers to be more important than the right to privacy in your own home - love these liberal courts - wonder which party appointed them????

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#117239 - 09/24/03 07:25 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
lblu Offline
Gold Star
lblu
I don't believe for a minute that the DNC list is down for the count. This is just a short reprieve for telemarketers.

By the way, I wonder if anyone has considered who's going to support all of the unemployed telemarketers that result from this rule.

Return to Top
#117240 - 09/24/03 07:56 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Well, if the sales figures from telemarketing quoted by their spokesman on "Power Lunch" are correct, they shouldn't have to worry about their jobs. It seems to me that they would appreciate knowing who they shouldn't waste their time calling and spend it more productively on those individuals who haven't registered who would, apparently, enjoy receiving these phone calls. I just thought I would get to turn my answering machine off and answer the phone myself, but apparently that is not to be the case.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#117241 - 09/24/03 08:00 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
DeeQ Offline
10K Club
DeeQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Talk about "fricking" infuriating. I just sent a venting email to the FTC. I'd really like the email address of the Judge!

Return to Top
#117242 - 09/24/03 08:05 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

I'd really like the email address of the Judge!

Or the home phone number.

Return to Top
#117243 - 09/24/03 08:10 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
That's ok, just crank up the assault the next time one of them calls. Try one of these methods:

1. When one of them calls asking for me, I tell them to hold a minute I'll find him, then I lay the phone down and let them wait for no one.

2. When they call for me, I hand the phone to my 3 year old.

3. Similar to #1, when they call for me, I ask them to tell me about the product. Once they have started their sales speil, I set my phone down and go about my business. This is better than #1 because once the speil starts, they can go on and on before realizing no one is there.

4. If I get a call from the State Troopers Assoc., Kiwanis, Firemen Assoc., etc...asking me to buy a ticket to send an underpriviliged kid to go to a Johnny Paycheck concert, I always ask if the caller is a member of the organization they are calling on behalf of. They always say, "no." I tell them if they will have an actual fireman, Kiwani, State Trooper, or whatever, I will talk to them. (It is a pet peeve of mine that "volunteer" organizations have to have well-paid telephone marketeers do their fundraising for them. I don't see the Girl Scouts hiring these groups to sell their cookies. What a bad example we adults set.)

Whew, I feel better now. I'll step off my soapbox.

Return to Top
#117244 - 09/24/03 08:11 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Anonymous
Unregistered

Question...banks are not regulated by the FTC but by the FCC, does that mean we still have to comply with the FCC rules regarding telemarketing?

Return to Top
#117245 - 09/24/03 08:13 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Jay Bruce Offline
Platinum Poster
Jay Bruce
The New Loft Chamber
Quote:

I'd really like the email address of the Judge!

Here's the court's web site Western District Court of Oklahoma. You'll be able to find Judge West's contact information there.

"A man in a kilt is a man and a half!"

Return to Top
#117246 - 09/24/03 08:17 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I bought my dad the "Telezapper" for father's day. Greatest present in the world (you can find it at Radio Shack, ~$40). It produces a tone when ever someone gets on the line that mimics the sounds a phoneline would make if it was no longer in service. This tricks the telemarketers computers to think that the number is no longer in service, and then your number is deleted from their database. It's funny when they call, cause caller id says "unknown", you answer, and THEY hang up. It's so nice to sit down to dinner without someone trying to sell us new windows and vinyl siding for a house 2 years old.

Return to Top
#117247 - 09/24/03 08:18 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
downstown Offline
Gold Star
St. Louis, MO
I won't post it here, but his phone number is available. I found it very quickly using Google.

Return to Top
#117248 - 09/24/03 08:24 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

4. If I get a call from the State Troopers Assoc., Kiwanis, Firemen Assoc., etc...asking me to buy a ticket to send an underpriviliged kid to go to a Johnny Paycheck concert, I always ask if the caller is a member of the organization they are calling on behalf of. They always say, "no." I tell them if they will have an actual fireman, Kiwani, State Trooper, or whatever, I will talk to them. (It is a pet peeve of mine that "volunteer" organizations have to have well-paid telephone marketeers do their fundraising for them. I don't see the Girl Scouts hiring these groups to sell their cookies. What a bad example we adults set.)

Whew, I feel better now. I'll step off my soapbox.

Well paid???? That's an understatement. Our fire/police had a telemarketer company call for them to get donations. They collected $306,000. Not too bad. However the local fire/police only received $26,000 of that money. Don't be fooled thinking you are giving to charity. Your not. If you want to give to charity walk the money to their office.

Return to Top
#117249 - 09/24/03 08:43 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
captain morgan Offline
100 Club
captain morgan
Land of "uffda"
When I get a telemarketer calling asking for my wife, I tell them very funny, is this a Joke? My wife died last week. It usually gets quiet on the other end and they hang up. She does the same for me....

Return to Top
#117250 - 09/24/03 09:01 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I pretend that there is something wrong with my phone and that I can't hear them, it is so funny listening to them yell "Hello.....Hello....., Can you hear me now?"

Return to Top
#117251 - 09/24/03 09:11 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Telemarketers often mispronounce my last name (which is odd, because my name is simple enough that it's at about a first grade reading level.) So whenever they butcher my name, I tell them that there's nobody here by that name...

Return to Top
#117252 - 09/24/03 09:59 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
I am certainly no fan of telemarketers, and my name is on that now possibly defunct list, but I nevertheless have to respectfully disagree with some of the sentiments expressed in this thread.

I read the ruling and I found it fairly persuasive that the FTC was overreaching its statutory authority. As a part of an industry that is itself occasionally subject to regulator overreach (HUD and RESPA is one of the best examples), I can't help but think it's a good thing to see a court actually challenge a regulatory agency's right to implement a rule.

However, having said that, I agree that this is a temporary delay in the rule only. If another court doesn't overturn the ruling, congress itself will almost certainly pass legislation explicitly giving the FTC this authority.

Return to Top
#117253 - 09/24/03 10:33 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Next thing you know, that DNC list will be sold to the telemarketers and they will be calling and trying to sell us something to keep telemarketers from calling. Oh, it is all so confusing.

My husband goes by his middle name, so when they call asking for Dave or David, I just say he's not there and hang up before they want to talk to me. Of course, with a teenager and Internet, we don't get too many of these right now. I think I may have to start telling them that he died like Captain Morgan.

Return to Top
#117254 - 09/25/03 12:11 AM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
I just don't answer my phone at home. Since telemarketers are not allowed to leave messages, they won't. And if someone really wants to get in touch with me, they will leave a message.

Return to Top
#117255 - 09/25/03 12:26 AM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Somedays my fuse is very short. When I pick up a call and it's a telemarketer, I simply hang up the phone. No "Sorry I'm not interested", no games, no gimmicks, just a "click."

How about this for a line of work - start making telephone calls to sell the TeleZapper!!!!

Return to Top
#117256 - 09/25/03 02:50 AM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
I heard that the TeleZapper was created by a telemarketer. How ironic if true!

Return to Top
#117257 - 09/25/03 12:17 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Great Blue, since you are from Colorado could you find out about the lawsuit that's happening there? I believe this one names the FCC who DOES have the statutory authority to maintain the DNC list.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#117258 - 09/25/03 12:44 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
DeeQ Offline
10K Club
DeeQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

I just don't answer my phone at home. Since telemarketers are not allowed to leave messages, they won't. And if someone really wants to get in touch with me, they will leave a message.

Ditto here, it must be a NJ thing.

Return to Top
#117259 - 09/25/03 12:45 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Just some observations:
* there are few things that Americans agree on more readily than how much they hate telemarketing. However, it's just like spam, as long as it works, it won't stop.
* a few weeks ago Dave Barry did a great column, raking the telemarketers and published the number of one of their associations telling readers to call and say how they felt about telemarketing. They got so many calls it overloaded their phone system and they threatened to sue him. He told them to go ahead;
* once they resolve the jurisdictional issue, the DNC list should work, as a second year student I wrote a 35 page paper on "corporate freedom of speech" (FNB Boston vs. Bellotti), there is no such thing; and
* believe it or not, the calls you get as a small business person are every bit as annoying as those you get as an individual. The "brass" displayed by Experian and D&B when they say, "We just want to make certain our files are accurate on your company" then proceed to ask about information they could not possibly have is amazing, and finally,
* if the caller ID display says "unavailable," I just don't answer the phone (that includes my daughter's boyfriend's cell, but I don't want to talk to him either) . If I do get a telemarketer or pollster, I don't say a word, but just put the phone back on the cradle. It's my phone, I do not owe them any courtesy.

Return to Top
#117260 - 09/25/03 12:48 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down *DELETED*
DeeQ Offline
10K Club
DeeQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Post deleted by Maria KFSB

Return to Top
#117261 - 09/25/03 01:14 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know where you live, but I go home to an answering machine filled with messages of dead air and pre-recorded marketing spiels. The live telemarketers don't leave messages, but that doesn't stop the automated calls.

Return to Top
#117262 - 09/25/03 01:45 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Best advice for how to stop telemarketer calls-----
Get a teenager!!!

'Course you're trading one set of problems for another! But at least there are some rewards with the teenager.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3