Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#117263 - 09/25/03 01:54 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Hope this doesn't rain on too many parades, but I found out yesterday that the Texas Do Not Call List is still in force - We were one of, if not the only, state that went ahead and passed its own law - not relying on just the Feds to take care of things -good thing, huh? At least there's one bright spot to this Texas legislative nightmare we have been calling 2003 (eg - the Texas 11, etc)

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#117264 - 09/25/03 02:30 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
Best response so far: "Can I have YOUR home phone number. I don't have time to talk right now but I can call you back." I have a hard time distingushing between the hard working poorly paid individuals calling me and the companies they represent. I have had my share of lousy jobs in my younger days. If the telecommunications industry does not realize how destructive these practices are to them, I may have to give up being "wired" altogether.

Return to Top
#117265 - 09/25/03 03:46 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I wonder if that dear judge failed to read this act passed by Congress:

An Act

To authorize the Federal Trade Commission to collect fees for the implementation and enforcement of a `do -not-call' registry, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

You may find it
here .

OR did he construe this to state that they were only allowed to collect fees and not actually implement or enforce the DNC list?

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#117266 - 09/25/03 05:28 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
The House passed, by an overwhelming majority, HR 3161 authorizing the FTC to implement and enforce a National DNC registry. The bill can be found here . This was on the news at lunch today. Apparently, only 8 representatives voted against it. HMmmmmm, wonder who they were? CNN reported that they expected it to fast track thru the Senate and that the President would sign off on it before October 1.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#117267 - 09/25/03 05:39 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Indiana has a "do not call list" enforce as well and I love it. No more calls during dinner. We need to rein in these judges. I wonder who appointed this judge?

Return to Top
#117268 - 09/25/03 05:56 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I love it also. I haven't had a call in a couple of years now - except for people doing 'surveys'. I refuse to answer them now.

Return to Top
#117269 - 09/25/03 06:38 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
Something occurred to me this morning. Is it possible the judge's decision was part of a plan to require Congress to quickly and effectively step in which would, in effect, make it even tougher for the telemarketing companies to continue their countersuits?????

Return to Top
#117270 - 09/25/03 07:32 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Sometimes (not always, but sometimes) the judge is doing his or her job properly by pointing out that a law is contrary to existing statutes, or poorly drafted, or not legally enforceable, or contains some other defect that must or should be rectified. Believe it or not, sometimes the problem is with the legislative body that passed the law.

Hard to believe, huh?

Return to Top
#117271 - 09/25/03 08:29 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
William Offline
Gold Star
William
In a location
I wish some judge would find some type of problem with the GMI data collection for HMDA apps/loans... BETTER YET some type of unenforceability for HMDA!

... huh, I'm waking up now...

Return to Top
#117272 - 09/25/03 09:08 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
Quote:

I wish some judge would find some type of problem with the GMI data collection for HMDA apps/loans... BETTER YET some type of unenforceability for HMDA!

... huh, I'm waking up now...

Hey, if you are in CA vote for Prop. 54 which primarily is to stop collecting any data on racial lines - if it goes through, NO MORE HMDA

By the way, Congress in currently processing a bill for the presidents signature to overturn the judges ruling on the Do not call registry...
Last edited by Alien-American; 09/25/03 09:09 PM.

Return to Top
#117273 - 09/25/03 09:20 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Something occurred to me this morning. Is it possible the judge's decision was part of a plan to require Congress to quickly and effectively step in which would, in effect, make it even tougher for the telemarketing companies to continue their countersuits?????

WASHINGTON — U.S. House lawmakers acted quickly Thursday to overturn an Oklahoma court's ruling blocking the "Do-Not-Call List," (search) overwhelmingly passing a bill that would ensure the free government service goes into effect as scheduled next week.

The Senate is expected to follow suit almost immediately.

A winning consumer issue, lawmakers voted 412-8 Thursday to give the Federal Trade Commission (search) full power to enforce a list of people's phone numbers that telemarketers are not allowed to call when they dial their sales pitches. Violators are fined up to $11,000 per call.

Return to Top
#117274 - 09/26/03 12:26 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Yippeeeee!

Return to Top
#117275 - 09/26/03 12:41 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
lblu Offline
Gold Star
lblu
Don't celebrate yet...unfortunately, a Denver federal court just found that the DNC list is unconstitutional. Seems like its not okay be selective about who can and can't call (business can't call but charities can) or you encounter a free speech issue. I wonder if the court appeals process will move as quickly as Congress.

While I know and agree that telemarketing calls are a pain, I can't help but sympathize with the people who will lose their jobs when the DNC rule goes into effect -- especially with Christmas just around the corner and the job market so tight.

Return to Top
#117276 - 09/26/03 12:42 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Don't yippee too soon. Read this morning's news. A second court has struck it down, this time on constitutional grounds. If there is a problem with the regulation constitutionally, it won't matter that Congress passes these acts now - the Supreme Court will still have to decide if it's constitutionally allowed.

Return to Top
#117277 - 09/26/03 12:44 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
So now its a free speech issue. Partly because politicians exempted themselves and charities. Someone enlighten me, does this mean if politicians included themselves and charities, and no one was exempt, its no longer a free speech issue?

What is the chance politicians will exempt themselves?

So it's continuing to pay the phone company for "Call Manager", Call Blockimg" and "Caller ID" I will say it does work

Return to Top
#117278 - 09/26/03 01:22 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Quote:

Hey, if you are in CA vote for Prop. 54 which primarily is to stop collecting any data on racial lines - if it goes through, NO MORE HMDA

I don't think that's going to happen. HMDA is a federal law, while Prop. 54 would be state law. I'm no lawyer, but as I understand it, Federal law supercedes state law in most cases. I doubt HMDA is going to go anywhere (but I sure would be glad if it were gone).

Return to Top
#117279 - 09/26/03 01:22 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is part of an editorial from the Washington Times:

Rejecting the Do Not Call registry is the same sordid brand of judicial activism that motivated the recently reversed decision to stop the California recall vote. The judge's ruling was a brazen example of judicial arrogance in repudiating the clearly expressed will of the people and their elected representatives. The popularity of the Do Not Call list — and the consociated annoyance at intrusive telemarketing practices — is overwhelming. As of November 2002, 104 million households had telephone service. To date, 50 million numbers have been put on the Do Not Call list — and it isn't even planned to be active until October. If there has ever been a more clear mandate from the people, we can't think of it.

From removing the Ten Commandments in courthouses to attempting to invalidate the California recall, it is clear that the federal bench needs a lesson in humility. Overbearing judges got one from Congress yesterday. Perhaps this will teach the courts not to mess with 50 million fed-up Americans. The arrogance of the judiciary and the regular disregard for the desires of the public are perversions of the democratic system of government. The country would be better off if judges were slapped around more often. Readers who want to share their opinions about unwanted phone calls with Judge West can contact his chambers at: (phone) 405-609-5140; (fax) 405-609-5151.

Return to Top
#117280 - 09/26/03 01:26 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

While I know and agree that telemarketing calls are a pain, I can't help but sympathize with the people who will lose their jobs when the DNC rule goes into effect -- especially with Christmas just around the corner and the job market so tight.

Oh come on, do you really feel sorry for people who mainly work for companies who prey on the mentally weak and the elderly. The legitimate telemarketers--those from companies you already do business with, will still be able to call unless you tell them otherwise (correct?). Most of the calls I get from business I do not have a relationship with are sleazy. If these folks had a product people needed, they would not need telemarketers to sell it.

Return to Top
#117281 - 09/26/03 02:07 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
$600 billion in sales from telemarketing per year does not indicate to me that anyone will lose his/her job by not calling my home where NOTHING is ever bought from a telemarketer. Unfortunately, that $600 billion is a lump sum figure that includes business sales. It isn't broken out by consumer sales and business sales. It would be interesting to know if the bulk of that sales figure was from business sales. Since the rule does not prohibit business to business calls and only serves to protect consumers from unwanted calls, I doubt it will have as much impact on jobs as the telemarketing associations want us to believe it will.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#117282 - 09/26/03 02:21 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine

Anonymous said (sorry, I don't know how to make the box)
"From removing the Ten Commandments in courthouses to attempting to invalidate the California recall, it is clear that the federal bench needs a lesson in humility. Overbearing judges got one from Congress yesterday. Perhaps this will teach the courts not to mess with 50 million fed-up Americans. The arrogance of the judiciary and the regular disregard for the desires of the public are perversions of the democratic system of government. The country would be better off if judges were slapped around more often. Readers who want to share their opinions about unwanted phone calls with Judge West can contact his chambers at: (phone) 405-609-5140; (fax) 405-609-5151. "

It isn't whether the judiciary is humble or pompous that should be at stake - but whether they are accurately applying existing law. The fact that lots of people don't want telemarketing calls doesn't change the fact that laws aimed to address this still need to be crafted within our constitutional framework. IF the law is unconstitutional (I'm not saying it is or isn't) it should be stopped, and Congress can rework it until they get it right. I want a judiciary that has the guts to make the RIGHT decision, whether popular or not.

Return to Top
#117283 - 09/26/03 02:55 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Here is the First Amendment:

Quote:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Now, tell me how the FCC is abridging free speech. Calling my house is NOT a free speech issue, period! These telemarketers are welcome to walk outside and yell their sales spiel to the heavens if they want--the FCC is not abridging that. There is nothing in the First Amendment guaranteeing them a listener or a method of delivering their free speech. There is nothing that says that the government can't pass a law that protects those who do not want to hear your "free speech." So, tell me, how did we get here judicially. How is a law like this is unconstitutional. I'll tell you: Our appointed judges have stretched the constitution beyond recognition!

OK now, Zaibatsu, slowly, back away from your soap box.

Return to Top
#117284 - 09/26/03 03:19 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Quote:

Someone enlighten me, does this mean if politicians included themselves and charities, and no one was exempt, its no longer a free speech issue?

Don, that's how I read the court ruling. It specifically refers to a similar law concerning refusing mail, and draws the distinction that in that case, the individual can stop mail from anyone whereas in the FTC's do-not-call, you cannot reject calls from non-profits without first taking a call from them and then asking to be placed on their company specific do-not-call list. I thought the ruling made pretty fascinating reading.

By the way, I don't think the exclusion of political and non-profit calls came from the statute itself, but from the FTC.

Return to Top
#117285 - 09/26/03 04:14 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
Way to go Z...get back on the soap box and throw a few bars of soap to the judiciary!

Return to Top
#117286 - 09/26/03 04:59 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
RFitzpatrick Offline
Gold Star
RFitzpatrick
Pacific NW
Ruling or not, any telemarketer who calls me after Oct. 1st is going to get a little of my own "free speech".

Return to Top
#117287 - 09/26/03 05:00 PM Re: National No Call List Struck Down
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Ruling or not, any telemarketer who calls me after Oct. 1st is going to get a little of my own "free speech".

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3