Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1173275 - 04/30/09 03:36 PM CIP on Catholic Nun's
ComplianceGurl, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
This issue has got me very stumped. For the purpose of CIP and ID verification I'm not sure how to handle this situation. We have a church account that has several nun's as signers. It appears that when they become a nun they change their names to i.e. Sister Mary xxx xxxx.? However what their ID shows can be different. For example, I have one whose birth certificate shows Sarah Anne Smith, but her US Passport shows Sister Sarah Anne Romski but is an authorized signer as Mother Mary Sarah Romski. I have another one that shows her driver's license as Mary Quintuz Sister and she is an authorized signer as Mother Mary Quintuz Shelby. Help!! If anyone has experienced this how are you handling it?
Thanks!!
P.S. Names have been changed to protect the identities. cool

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1173320 - 04/30/09 04:06 PM Re: CIP on Catholic Nun's ComplianceGurl, CRCM
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Courtesy of "Wiki Answers:"

At one time all Catholic nuns adopted a new name, perhaps patterned after a saint they wished to emulate and they usually took "Mary" as their second name. The practice of taking a new name is now optional, some orders continue it, but many do not, so its common now to see a name like "Sister Barbara Jones".

For me, that would clear up the "Sister" and "Mary" issues; I would treat them as I would "Miss" or "Dr." That is, it's not really part of their name, but I'm okay with it. As for their signatures, the UCC generally indicates the customer can sign her name any way she wishes. If their identification matched the rest of their name I would be satisfied and await with some glee the field examiner who would choose to criticize my decision in writing.

Shortly after CIP took effect there was a bank in Florida (Tampa?) that drew a lot of press because it refused to open an account for a nunnery that could not pass its CIP requirements. That's not a club I would want to join. To be fair, I've seen field examiners turn a blind eye toward CIP discrepancies based on religious convictions; e.g. the Amish. Occasionally common sense interferes with all of this stuff.

Return to Top
#1173719 - 04/30/09 08:03 PM Re: CIP on Catholic Nun's Elwood P. Dowd
ComplianceGurl, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Superb answer, exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much Ken!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z