Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1170838 - 04/27/09 08:01 PM Swine Flu and masks
LDS Offline
New Poster
Panama City Florida
Has anyone had to deal with customers wearing masks into the lobby because of the Swine flu? We are seeing more people wearing masks to the mall, restaurants, etc. and feel that it is only a matter of time until someone wears one into the branch. How do we respect someone's right to protect themself and still address security concerns for the branch? Any ideas?

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#1171736 - 04/28/09 08:21 PM Re: Swine Flu and masks LDS
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
This whole swine flu thing is overblown. Mexico, a country of 97 million people has experienced 150 deaths. Hardly an epidemic.

36,000 people die of flu in the US every year!

Return to Top
#1173787 - 04/30/09 08:49 PM Re: Swine Flu and masks Fraudman CFCI
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
I saw where one bank was requiring customers with masks to use the drive-thru. You could place a notice on your door.

I may add this to our pandemic procedures. Well, it probably won't matter because ours states that if it gets bad, only our drive-thru will be open anyway.

Return to Top
#1173894 - 05/01/09 01:33 AM Re: Swine Flu and masks Neytiri
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Since every doctor I've seen asked about this said the masks ore of little use, I'd dissuade the wearing of them inside too.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1174098 - 05/01/09 02:08 PM Re: Swine Flu and masks Andy_Z
smash Offline
Gold Star
Texas
If they are of little use, then why do doctors themselves wear masks in surgery? I was under the impression that they were to prevent the spread of infection during surgical procedures. Hmmm.

Return to Top
#1174108 - 05/01/09 02:16 PM Re: Swine Flu and masks smash
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Well, let's see - if I was a doctor and even though a mask might not help with the spread of infection, but it would prevent a splash of body fluids from entering my nose or mouth, think I would still go with it.....Same reason the dentist wears them, when working in your mouth.....

Sorry, any sarcasm was not meant literally - - - - just have family in the health profession - I wouldn't want to give them a kiss, knowing that they could have some kind of backsplash in there - - -

Return to Top
#1174590 - 05/01/09 07:02 PM Re: Swine Flu and masks RBanker
Loralie Offline
100 Club
Loralie
IL
Plus the masks help with other germs and things, just not this one, from what I have heard.

Return to Top
#1174716 - 05/01/09 08:52 PM Re: Swine Flu and masks Andy_Z
EmilyAnn Offline
Gold Star
FYI - the latest from the CDC on face masks, for anyone who is interested...

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/masks.htm

Return to Top
#1175506 - 05/04/09 10:57 PM Re: Swine Flu and masks LDS
Dana Turner Offline

Platinum Poster
Dana Turner
Pipe Creek TX - U.S.
Folks,

Several issues are at play here:
1. Allowing people to wear masks into the branch is a violation of common-sense security procedures;
- The idea of steering masked customers to the drive-up window is excellent. Just post your reasons for doing so by the entry door so that people can read about those reasons before they enter the branch.
2. Asking people to remove their masks while in the branch may be a health/safety concern;
- The paper/cloth masks are generally worthless except to protect the wearer from huge dust bunnies and construction materials larger than your thumb. And spittle and other bodil;y fluids, of course. I've also seen them sold with cartooney (yeah, I know) faces painted upon them.
3. The H1N1 virus may not be your ordinary flu virus.
- Its proven ability and willingness to mutate is really the scary part. To date, the virus has mutated at least twice within 60 days and scientists have been unable to determine the type of source host or its long-term mutation capabilities. In other words, the danger isn't in the current virus flu characteristics -- the danger lies in what may come next.

Return to Top
#1183713 - 05/14/09 05:50 PM Re: Swine Flu and masks Dana Turner
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
We ordered two kinds of masks - the cheap paper ones that protect others from your germs if you are sick and coughing and sneezing, and the more expensive N95 models that protect you from the germs of others. (More expensive but still very cost effective.)

If we don't need them now, we can use them when the next strain hits. Or this one mutates into something worse. At least we will be prepared. Masks don't expire.

Return to Top
#1183816 - 05/14/09 06:57 PM Re: Swine Flu and masks Neytiri
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
In looking at CDC site, I noticed that there are 946 more total cases today than yesterday. Total cases were 2254 on 5/9 vs 4298 today. Hope that trend doesn't continue.

Return to Top
#1184143 - 05/15/09 02:11 AM Re: Swine Flu and masks BrendaC
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Considering the American Cancer Society projects that there will be 1.5 million new people diagnosed with cancer this year in the US and only 66% of them will survive past their 5 year anniversary - I think I would take the swine flu any day. There are more important and more frightening health concerns to be focused on than swine flu in its present form.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z