Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1176259 - 05/05/09 07:24 PM Initial Meetings With Management
hawksfan Offline
100 Club
Iowa/Illinois
We got away from doing entrance meetings with managers before planning an audit after SOX came into play. We started relying on SOX documentation to give us the info we needed up front. Unfortunately, I think we lost some value here.

By any chance, do you have initial meetings with department managers before planning and executing an audit? If so, what kind of initial questions are you asking? In the past, we have asked about any significant changes in the business unit since last audit but not sure what other valuable questions we should be asking. We are thinking about incorporating fraud questions into the initial meeting as well.

Is anyone willing to share what kinds of questions they ask management at initial meetings? Thank you for your assistance!

Return to Top
Audit
#1177560 - 05/06/09 10:47 PM Re: Initial Meetings With Management hawksfan
Banker27 Offline
100 Club
In an intial meeting with management, I use it as an opportunity to inform them of the proposed scope and the audit process. I inform them of the auditors working on the project and expected timelines. I tell them that we will keep in communication with them throughout the audit and bring up exceptions as they arise. I go over our reporting process and that they will have a chance to respond.

As far as questions, I use it as a chance to learn more about the area if it is something I don't have much experience in. Who is responsible for what in that department or branch? What vendors and systems do we use in that business unit? How are you planning to implement the new regulatory changes (as applicable)? I would ask if there have been any changes since the last audit- in process changes, new programs, employee turnover, increased volume, etc. I ask management how they feel about the propsed scope and if they have any suggestions. Does management has any areas of concern they would like to see tested?

Sometimes the opening meeting is very brief, more as a formality. Other times, it leads to thourough discussion and can be very valuable.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z