Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1176315 - 05/05/09 07:58 PM Can We Call Police - Potential Unstable Customer?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a customer that is known to be unstable...she has been in the hospital for mental reasons. She is married, and her and the spouse regularly get in public fights, sometimes almost a brawl. This is a very small town, and everyone seems to be aware of the issue.

We have a fear of a potential domestic abuse situation, but no proof. This lady has recently made two purchases at a gun shop, that we noted while reviewing checks written on an account. While we have no concrete evident or proof and we hope she's not purchasing guns, we almost feel it necessary to inform the police of the purchases.

Can we without violating privacy issues? Is this SAR worthy? I know if we filed a SAR we could then discuss the issue with police. I'm just not sure we're there yet...thoughts from anyone?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1179333 - 05/08/09 05:06 PM Re: Can We Call Police - Potential Unstable Customer? Anonymous
nemsi Offline
Gold Star
I'm not a gun person and I don't know about laws affecting purchase of guns. Is it illegal to purchase guns in your state?

#1179364 - 05/08/09 05:27 PM Re: Can We Call Police - Potential Unstable Customer? nemsi
Mint Julep Offline
Diamond Poster
Mint Julep
Tennessee
If she hasn't broken the law and hasn't made any threats to harm someone, what are you going to tell the police? "The crazy lady bought a gun!" I don't they can do anything unless a crime has been committed or is contemplated.

At this point, the only person who can take action with such information is the spouse. He may be in danger and, with such foreknowledge, decide now is the time to put some distance between him and this marriage. Or he may buy a gun, too, just to level the playing field, and one or both end up shot and/or dead.

It is a conundrum. A moral dilemma. I understand your struggle with it, but don't know that you can do anything about it.

#1179385 - 05/08/09 05:39 PM Re: Can We Call Police - Potential Unstable Customer? Mint Julep
nemsi Offline
Gold Star
I would close the account and contact police if any violant behavior is observed on bank property- inside the branch or in the parking lot.

#1179450 - 05/08/09 06:00 PM Re: Can We Call Police - Potential Unstable Customer? Anonymous
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
First, every state has its own laws re purchase of handguns. If she has been treated for mental illness, she should not pass the background check if she has no permit to carry. If she has a permit, the state licensing authority should revoke it.

Re the SAR, she has committed no crime against your bank.

Should she become violent of disruptive in a branch, then call the police.

#1179946 - 05/09/09 12:03 AM Re: Can We Call Police - Potential Unstable Customer? Fraudman CFCI
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I don't think you can share any information that you gleaned from her checks.
I am with Nemsi - at the first sign of any bad behaviour on your property, - call the police and close the account.
Other than that, I don't think you can really get involved.

#1185621 - 05/18/09 06:50 PM Re: Can We Call Police - Potential Unstable Customer? MagicCity
WreckEmTech Offline
100 Club
Texas
From what I understand, many retailers do not run an actual background check. There is a box on the form asking if you have a mental illness...it would be pretty easy to check no and get the gun! You do have to take a class & pass a check for a CCW, but who's to say she has a permit. It isn't required if you just keep it in your home & don't carry it around with you.

That's a tough one...I would be tempted to file a SAR because you know she's been in mental hospitals and still managed to purchase a gun. Pretty sure that's an issue!

#1185640 - 05/18/09 07:02 PM Re: Can We Call Police - Potential Unstable Customer? WreckEmTech
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
That is not a reason to file a SAR.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale