Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#117917 - 09/26/03 03:44 PM Your Personal/Sick Allowances
ShannonC Offline
100 Club
Kansas
I am taking a look at our sick/personal time allowances. Currently we allow 10 sick/personal days per year. Plus 2 weeks vacation, plus all the Federal Holidays. This sounds like a lot of time off. What is everyone giving for sick/personal days?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#117918 - 09/26/03 04:15 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Do you get more vacation as your service increases? I won't take a job with less than 4 weeks. I'm not going backwards.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#117919 - 09/26/03 04:43 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Anonymous
Unregistered

My present bank gets 6 sick days per year. All doctors appts are deducted from those 6.My previous bank gave 10 sick days a year with additional 2 hours for doctors appts and employees were encouraged to make them either early morning or late afternoon. The latter was the best, especially for employees with children.

Return to Top
#117920 - 09/26/03 05:19 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
LCM Offline
LCM
Five sick days and three personal days for everyone. Two weeks vacation for all full time employees. Officer level employees and above get three weeks vacation, and employees with 10 years of service get three weeks vacation.

Return to Top
#117921 - 09/26/03 05:31 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Suwannee Offline
Platinum Poster
Suwannee
Florida
Anonymous, that is terrible!! Six sick days a year, with doctor/dental appointments subtracted from that amount? How unfair! Think about it!

Most women go to the doctor once a year for their "recommended" annual checkup. They also go once a year for a mammogram. As people get older, they are encouraged to have other tests that would mean even more time off for doctor's appointments. Most people go to the dentist at least once a year to have their teeth cleaned. That only leaves 3 days a year for illnesses. One bout with the flu would put an employee into a negative position for sick days.

Policies like that would encourage employees to always be looking at other employment opportunities. I would think that employers would want to have a little more lenience built into their sick leave policies to encourage employees to stay with them.

Return to Top
#117922 - 09/26/03 05:32 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Our employees accrue one day full pay protection for leave of absence at the beginning of each calendar month. A maximum of 45 days can be carried over into a new calendar year. Absences of two hours or less will not be reported against accrued time. Absences of over two hours but less than four hours will be documented as a 1/2 day absence. Absences of more than four hours will be documented as a full day absence.

Full-time employees are eligible for 2 weeks paid vacation following one calendar year of service. VPs and above get 16 days with 10 business days taken consecutively. Employees that have completed 1-3 years employment get 10 consecutive business days of paid vacation. 4-7 are entitle to thirteen (10 together); 8-11 get 14; 12-14 get 15; More than 15 years get 16 days.

Return to Top
#117923 - 09/26/03 08:49 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
ShannonC Offline
100 Club
Kansas
We do give another week vacation for 10 years of service. I have some employees who have already used 10 days sick time, all their vacation and we still have September, October, November and December to go. Those that use the full 10 days are also the ones who are gone for piddly stuff. Just thought I would see what others are doing. Taking into account that we have Federal holidays off and other industries do not, I thought maybe we were alittle excessive.

Thanks for all your input.

Return to Top
#117924 - 09/29/03 01:12 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If you have employees that are saleried and classified exempt and you are docking them an hour here and an hour there for going to the doctor or dentist after their sick leave has been used, you are going to run afoul of the FLSA.

Return to Top
#117925 - 09/29/03 02:33 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
LynnOk Offline
Oklahoma
Quote:

Absences of two hours or less will not be reported against accrued time. Absences of over two hours but less than four hours will be documented as a 1/2 day absence. Absences of more than four hours will be documented as a full day absence.

If I were an employee that was gone for 2 1/2 hours--and then was "docked" for 4 . . . you had better believe that I would be "gone" for my FULL 4 hours. If I was gone 4 1/2 hours and then "docked" a full day . . . I'd go to my dr's appt and then play the rest of the day. Your policy is one that leads to "malicious compliance." Sometimes I think we get hung up on these legalities--and miss the point--which I think should be that we want every able bodied person to be at work, so make it so they want to go to the dr's office & get back to work quickly. We allow people to "flex" their time for dr. appts if possible--which is a great benefit--our employees seem to make their dr. appt. either 1st thing in the morning, over lunch hours, or last thing in the afternoon. Really helps with scheduling. This is a mind set you have to establish from your team leaders down.

**At our bank we accrue 4 hours sick leave per month (we can accrue up to 90 days); receive 1 personal day/year (does not roll over); and 80 hours vacation per year up to 5 years of service; 6-10 years gets 120 hours/year; 11+ years receives 160 hours vacation**

Ok--that was my 2 cents.

Return to Top
#117926 - 09/29/03 03:00 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Princess of Power Offline
Gold Star
Princess of Power
Napa, CA
We offer 10 days sick per year with a max of 55 days allowed to be carried. We also offer 1 personal day & 2 weeks paid vacation. After 5 years, vacation is 3 weeks & 2 personal days. After 10 years vacation is 4 weeks and after 15 years vacation is 5 weeks. I wonder what I'll get next year when I reach 20 years??

Return to Top
#117927 - 09/29/03 03:13 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
a nice clock!

Return to Top
#117928 - 09/29/03 03:38 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I know I already mentioned this, but I think it is worth repeating if you have a policy of docking workers for a minimum set amount of time for partial day absences and it may effect your compliance with FLSA for both your exempt and non-exempt employees. If you have such a policy, I encourage you to seek out a competent employment law attorney.

For exempt employees, you cannot dock an exempt employee's salary in hourly increments because, to do so, would be to treat the employee as hourly or nonexempt. However, while salary cannot be docked in less than full-day increments, an exempt employee's sick leave accrual can be docked in increments of less than a day. But once their sick leave accrual runs out, you run the risk of running into real trouble.

For non-exempt employees, if you are docking them or paying them sick leave for a minimum amount of time and they are actually at work for part of that time, you may not be tracking “hours worked” appropriately and placing the bank in jeopardy of not paying all appropriate overtime pay. If the employee is on site and working, you cannot count that time as sick leave for overtime pay purposes.

Return to Top
#117929 - 09/29/03 05:33 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Anonymous
Unregistered

Suwanee, Original Anonymous here again. Thank you for your support!

Return to Top
#117930 - 09/29/03 06:07 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our bank allows 2 weeks vacation (additional days added as years of service increase). We also get 10 sick days. Of those 10, we may use 3 as personal days. We are allowed to carry over our days from year end, however, we may have no more than 30 total days (the carry over plus the 10 days for the current year)

Personally, I think that the vacation days are lousy. For example, if you've been imployed 1 year you get 2 weeks vacation. If you are employed 25 years you still get 2 weeks vacation plus 3 extra days.....

Want to really feel sick. I had an exchange student from Finland some years back. We still correspond. She works (as I understand) as an accountant. Anyway, she has been employed for a company for about 2 years and she gets NINE weeks vacation!!!!! NINE Weeks......

Return to Top
#117931 - 09/29/03 06:10 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I was getting 21 days of vacation and 10 "personal" days each year for my sickness or that of my family. You couldn't carry any of these to the next year but unused sick days went into long term disability up to some point.

Getting the vacation was one thing, getting to use it was another, or so I was finding out.

I don't think you are giving to much. But I'd like to see banks pay back unused sick days while enforcing rules so that sick employees wouldn't come to work and infect others.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#117932 - 09/29/03 09:08 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm being Anon on purpose. The only thing I don't love about my job is the sick/vacation time. You start out with 10 days, Leave with Pay. These are either vacation or sick days. That means, you have the flu, you have to use a vacation day to stay home.

Over time we go up to three weeks. Again, leave with pay for either sick or vacation. Oh and don't forget the required two weeks off during each year.

I had five weeks at the last job. Five weeks vacation that is. As an officer I also had an instant SIX MONTHS sick leave the day I signed on. Sure we worked so hard we never used them, but it was the thought that counted right?

Return to Top
#117933 - 09/29/03 10:08 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
One great benefit at my bank is that there is no longer a distinction between "vacation" and "sick days". We get PTO (paid time off) and we can use it however we choose. Those who aren't sick very often get the advantage of more "vacation". I don't know for sure, but I would guess this has decreased the instances of folks calling in sick just to use their time. And the PTO days are generous enough that even someone who is sick fairly often will still get some vacation.

And, up to one week of PTO may be carried over into the next year (but must be used within the 1st quarter.) Now the problem isn't so much unexcused absences as it is scheduling everyone's time off.

Return to Top
#117934 - 09/30/03 12:06 AM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
GoCowboys Offline
GoCowboys
Texas
Pardon this reply from a non-banker, but I thought I would let everyone know what my non-bank employer gives.

I work for the county government here in my city, and the county gives you 2 weeks vacation until you have been here 10 years, and then you get 3 weeks vacation ... this policy applies to everyone, regardless of position (3 weeks is the maximum). We can have a maximum of 5 weeks vacation accumulated at any one time. Vacation is credited monthly ... for example, those with more than 10 years of service get 10 hours credit each month (which would equal 120 hours, or 3 weeks, per year). Only the actual amount of vacation is subtracted from the balance.

We are credited with 1 full day of sick leave (8 hours) each month, and we can have up to 90 days of sick leave accumulated at any one time.

Return to Top
#117935 - 09/30/03 10:46 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
This bank is one of the more progressive ones that I have worked for - we don't get sick time, personal time, or vacation days (unless you are in your first year - then you get 5 sick days and 5 PTO days)- instead we get PTO (Paid Time Off) Days - 22 after you first year to be used for anything - after 10 years you get 26 PTO days. This is in addition to the 10 bank holidays that we are closed for. Since I hardly ever take a sick day, and was previousl penalized for this - lost my accumulated sick time - this really works for me. Any unused PTO time can be rolled into shor-term disability (max 5 days a year) and sold back to the bank (max 5 days a year). Any unused time over 10 days, you do lose.
Very sweet, I think!!!

Return to Top
#117936 - 10/03/03 01:33 AM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Spanky Offline
New Poster
Spanky
Minnesota
My bank is pretty generous when it comes to sick/vacation time off. 2 weeks vacation after 1 year, 3 after 10, 4 weeks after 20. 3 personal days a year for everyone. 12 sick days a year for everyone. I am looking at paid time off myself but we have a great thing right now.

Return to Top
#117937 - 10/03/03 02:48 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Kwiltr Offline
100 Club
We get 5 sick days a year and can carry up to 60. 7 paid holidays (we work on Columbus Day and Veteran's Day). Everyone gets two personal days and two weeks of vacation after one year. Part-timers who work over 1,000 hours per year get vacation time based on their average weekly hours for the previous year. Full time employees get two weeks after one year, 3 weeks after 7 years, 4 weeks after 15 years, and 5 weeks after 20 years.

Of course, by the time you've been here 20 years, you're in some kind of officer or supervisory position where no one does your work when you're gone. So how do you take 39 days away from your desk? I'm carrying 38 sick days and have 7 vacation days to take before the end of the year. Plus, I get my 5th week next year.

Return to Top
#117938 - 10/03/03 05:00 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
We get 5 sick days, plus 1 sick day for every year of service. Out of your sick days, you may take up to 3 as personal days. Unused sick days expire at the end of every year.

We get 2 weeks vacation. Senior officers get 3 weeks vacation after 5 years of service; all other employees get 3 weeks after 10 years of service. Three weeks is the maximum vacation time.

Return to Top
#117939 - 10/03/03 07:57 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

If the employee is on site and working, you cannot count that time as sick leave for overtime pay purposes.

Any time that an employee is at work, their hours are recorded and added in to their total numbers of hours worked regardless of whether they get docked a full day or sick leave or half day.

Return to Top
#117940 - 10/06/03 03:43 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
LinMarie Offline
100 Club
LinMarie
Our bank allows every one 5 sick day and 2 personal days (may not be carried over)

Vacation: non-exempt
2 weeks 1-4 years
3 weeks 5-14 years
4 weeks 15+ years

Exempt
3 weeks 1-9 years
4 weeks 10+ years

Any employee promoted to Officer receives 4 weeks vacation regardless of year of service.

Return to Top
#117941 - 10/07/03 06:17 PM Re: Your Personal/Sick Allowances
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
rlcarey,
What does FSLA stand for?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry