Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1178933 - 05/08/09 01:41 PM New Star Trek Movie
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
JJ Abrams has resurrected Trek!

I saw it last night, and I was impressed with the new vision of Star Trek. It was sleeker, sexier, and much more action packed than Trek has been in a long time.

Casting was fantastic. Karl Urban IS McCoy! I wasn't sure how Chris Pine was going to pull off Kirk, but he did.

This Trek really does change the entire mythos or "canon" from all previous incarnations, and it does so in a pretty intense fashion. I left the theater wanting to see more in this Trek universe. I can see why hardcore Trekkers would be up in arms over the changes to all they know and hold dear, but if you're new to Trek, or a longtime fan with an open mind, you're going to enjoy this movie!

I'm not going to give any spoilers away, but the summer blockbusters are off and running!

P.S. Megan Fox looked amazing in the Transformers trailer. I'd go see it for her alone!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1178936 - 05/08/09 01:42 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie FBH
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
i can't wait to see this movie!

i'm gonna see it at the IMAX

Return to Top
#1178937 - 05/08/09 01:43 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie FBH
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: FBH
P.S. Megan Fox looked amazing in the Transformers trailer. I'd go see it for her alone!

I would sit through a Nic Cage quadruple feature if I knew she was in the movies.

Return to Top
#1178942 - 05/08/09 01:45 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie FBH
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I'll be seeing it this weekend! Can hardly wait. I thought "sylar" was the perfect person to play the young Spock. With the hair and the ears - he does resemble him. I missed out on Wolverine last weekend - too busy draining the pool and scrubbing it out and putting together a gazebo for the patio. I may try to catch up on both this weekend!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1178956 - 05/08/09 01:53 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie waldensouth
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The casting is excellent. So much so, I wished they had focused more on the character development - but I'll let it slide. It starts fast and ends big. The first movie in a long time that I may want to go see in the theater again.

I was talking to a friend about it last night too and he said something funny: he thought the Enterprise looked too much like the Galaxy Quest ship on the inside. There may be some truth to that...But you know what? I don't care. Good flick!

P.S. again - About Megan Fox. She could put out a movie of her painting a fence for two hours and I'd pay to see it!
Last edited by FBH; 05/08/09 01:55 PM.

Return to Top
#1178961 - 05/08/09 01:54 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie waldensouth
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Sigh, and I had to go see 17 Again last night! I did get to laugh at the Trekies wearing their Starfleet uniforms on the way out though. But such is the price you pay on an 11 year old girl's birthday!

Return to Top
#1178968 - 05/08/09 01:57 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie B_F
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
Lucky you BF - the last movie I saw as Monsters vs Aliens! It will be good to see something with real people and some action!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1178982 - 05/08/09 02:01 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie waldensouth
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
<<<<<<----- still waiting for Madagascar III

Return to Top
#1179035 - 05/08/09 02:28 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie MB Guy
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
<<<<<<----- still waiting for Madagascar III

Not the next in the Ice Age series?

Return to Top
#1179036 - 05/08/09 02:29 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie waldensouth
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: waldensouth
Lucky you BF - the last movie I saw as Monsters vs Aliens! It will be good to see something with real people and some action!

Actually, it wasn't bad. It's kind of a romantic comedy/teen age angst/little girls drooling over Zac Effron movie.

Return to Top
#1179125 - 05/08/09 03:11 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie FBH
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: FBH
P.S. again - About Megan Fox. She could put out a movie of her painting a fence for two hours and I'd pay to see it!

you speak the truth

Return to Top
#1179248 - 05/08/09 04:11 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie Peepers
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
I bet the sales of Esquire go up this month.... smile

Return to Top
#1179250 - 05/08/09 04:11 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie waldensouth
Little Miss BSA Offline
Diamond Poster
Little Miss BSA
Miami
Originally Posted By: waldensouth
I'll be seeing it this weekend! Can hardly wait. I thought "sylar" was the perfect person to play the young Spock. With the hair and the ears - he does resemble him. I missed out on Wolverine last weekend - too busy draining the pool and scrubbing it out and putting together a gazebo for the patio. I may try to catch up on both this weekend!

Saw it las Friday night and I loved it...

Return to Top
#1179286 - 05/08/09 04:38 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie Little Miss BSA
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
Wolverine, Star Trek, and Transformers all within a couple of months. What a summer! And isn't Harry Potter in July?

Wolverine was great for a lot of reasons - not the least is that I saw Hugh Jackman's buff backside and most of the front! I really liked learning how his Wolverine life came about. I also saw 17 Again with a couple of girls from work, and we had a ball. Drooling over Zach and laughing at the Star Wars and LOTR references. Much better than I thought it would be. Geeky guy just about stole the movie from Zach.

Return to Top
#1179428 - 05/08/09 05:53 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie Neytiri
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I totally agree with your assessment that the complete and total dork stole the show, Donna!

Return to Top
#1179916 - 05/08/09 10:11 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie B_F
DebL Offline
Gold Star
CA
Going to see Star Trek in IMAX tonight. I already bought tix online. I was amazed at how many of the shows were already sold out. All I need now is some popcorn and I'll be good to go!

Return to Top
#1179952 - 05/09/09 02:59 AM Re: New Star Trek Movie Miscuit
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Originally Posted By: Miscuit
i can't wait to see this movie!

i'm gonna see it at the IMAX

I'm going to see it in IMAX down where space travel really happens! NASA wink

Return to Top
#1179956 - 05/09/09 04:06 AM Re: New Star Trek Movie Bimmer
GLKS Offline
Gold Star
Haven't seen Star Trek, but I agree on the excellent casting on the basis of Zoe Saldana as Uhuru. wink

Return to Top
#1179983 - 05/09/09 08:04 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie GLKS
buggs Offline
Power Poster
I haven't seen it but I heard folks talking about it on the radio. They said it was a great film, but that hardcore trekkies wouldn't like it because it was too good. That and the fact that they used subtitles when they spoke Klingon. laugh

P.S. Are Klingons actually in the film? I thought Captain Kirk "discovered" them during the TV series and doesn't this film take place before the TV series events?

Return to Top
#1180004 - 05/10/09 05:55 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie buggs
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
A friend of mine, a hardcore trekkie called me last night to complain that they threw out William Shatner's Star Trek almost completely.

If you ask me, that's a good sign smile

Return to Top
#1180043 - 05/11/09 12:09 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie B_F
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
I've enjoyed the original Star Trek most of my life - even going to the 30th anniversay convention at the Space center in Huntsville. I also thoroughly enjoyed this one. Actually, kid wonder turned to me and said "can we watch it again?" immediately afterwards! It was good - casting was excellent and the characters were well developed. William Shatner watched is and thought it was good per news reports.

No it wasn't the low budget groundbreaking show the original was, but it did a good job of setting the stage for a new series that doesn't rely on the original cast who are aging and dying off.
Last edited by waldensouth; 05/11/09 12:10 PM.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1180045 - 05/11/09 12:15 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie waldensouth
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Haven't checked the ratings so would you suggest this for an 8 year old and a four year old who love movies?

Return to Top
#1180046 - 05/11/09 12:19 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie Bagweaver
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
I would - I don't remember any heavy cursing or gruesome deaths. There's certainly violence, and ships exploding, and such...Maybe I would be a bad parenting example though...

Return to Top
#1180055 - 05/11/09 12:35 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie buggs
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
I don't recall seeing Klingons in the film.

Return to Top
#1180058 - 05/11/09 12:48 PM Re: New Star Trek Movie Bagweaver
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
WayFM radio rated it a strong 3 for family friendliness. so rated because of the few cuss words and the violence. I really wouldn't recommend it for the 4 year old. It is PG-13.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3