Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#118009 - 09/26/03 06:01 PM Overdraft Protection
upstateNY Offline
Platinum Poster
New York State
I didn't dare post this under "lending" and lead anyone to conclude that overdraft protection programs are "loans". (little joke) I'm looking for some recent information as to how your overdraft protection products are being viewed by examiners. We are being told by OCC that our program is unequivocally a "loan", that our overdraft fee is a finance charge and that the permitted overdraft limit is an open end line of credit. Therefore, any amounts that are written off must be charged to Reserve for Loan Loss. We do not have a contractual agreement to honor the overdrafts, it is discretionary. We do not assess any fees or charges other than the overdraft fee. So, what's up? Does anyone have any comments to offer?

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#118010 - 09/26/03 06:50 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Quote:

being told by OCC that our program is unequivocally a "loan", that our overdraft fee is a finance charge and that the permitted overdraft limit is an open end line of credit

Well, I would first ask them on what regulatory citation are they basing this opinion. Start there. What may be considered a credit or loan undersome circumstances may not be considered a credit or a loan under others, depending on the regulation at which you are looking.

Return to Top
#118011 - 09/26/03 08:01 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
upstateNY Offline
Platinum Poster
New York State
I totally agree, and have advised management to request a citation. I'm also very interested in what others are experiencing too.

Return to Top
#118012 - 09/26/03 08:10 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
IMHO - These are extensions of credit under Reg B, they are not extensions of credit under Reg Z (unless you do something foolish), and I would not think that they are loans for ALLL. However, if you entering into some type of "second chance" program requiring them to pay the delinquent overdraft back in three installments (to keep it from falling under Reg Z), they may consider that a loan and require you to reserve for them and take losses from the ALLL account. As everyone knows, I don't like these programs and have never really contemplated that action by the regulators, but in that situation, they may be correct.

Return to Top
#118013 - 09/26/03 08:36 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our bank had a legal opinion from the vendor offering the service that helped with our review. I was told to keep the OD fee the same for Bounce Protection (BP) or you may have a problem. It may depend on how you are administrating the program. We have had no issues with our examinations with our BP.

Return to Top
#118014 - 09/26/03 10:05 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
Anonymous
Unregistered

We just had the OCC in and they asked us if we were doing these. We said no, and they were quite happy. They made it sound like the banks that are doing it won't be for long.

Return to Top
#118015 - 09/29/03 04:17 AM Re: Overdraft Protection
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
What is a loan for ALLL and Reg. Z may differ as well. Rather than a cite, I might ensure I was speaking with significant enough clout at your regulators office.

If you can do a reserve based on a 6 month historical loss of NSFs less fees you reverse, you might do better tax wise. This may take some number crunching to determine.

Decide if it is a battle worth fighting.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#118016 - 09/30/03 05:39 AM Re: Overdraft Protection
tsorbe Offline
tsorbe
Brookings, SD
Andy's advice is sound. Just because there is a good argument that Reg Z doesn't apply, the safety and soundness folks may still expect you to reserve for your exposure. Also, take a look at the Comptroller's speech to the ABA in Hawaii last week. He didn't have kind words for bounce protection - no surprise.

We recently concluded a review of our bounce protection product and compared it to the following guidance:

* OCC Advisory Opinion 914,
* the recent memorandum sent to all banks by the ABA,
* transcript of discussion on the product held by the FRB's Consumer Advisory Council, and
* various other media and industry articles on the topic.

From a review of this material, two themes were apparent: be careful not to market the product in a manner that encourages overdrafts and be sure the terms of the product are clearly disclosed to the consumer when the account is established. In light of our research, we required our retail folks to develop a policy setting forth the manner in which they will solicit, underwrite, monitor, and collect on the bounce product.

I think it is also important to look at consumer satisfaction. Specifically, I would take a look at the ABA's recently completed survey on bounce protection programs. The survey showed that consumers are generally satisfied with the product.

If you're straightforward with your customer about the costs and benefits, I wouldn't be alarmed by rhetoric from the OCC.

Return to Top
#118017 - 09/30/03 09:03 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
jwr1996 Offline
100 Club
jwr1996
Has anyone found or know of any consultants that have put together a comprehensive book of guidance on this issue? Also, maybe a webcast by BOL is in order??

Return to Top
#118018 - 10/01/03 02:24 AM Re: Overdraft Protection
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
There are vendors selling this as a product.

John M. Floyd & Associates

Pinnacle

These are just two who emphasize these services. But I've no idea what you get for free.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#118019 - 10/01/03 10:47 AM Re: Overdraft Protection
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
jwrl,
The OCC is sort of the wild card in anyone's ability to offer advice or present a training program. There is some irony in the fact that they are willing to tell Upstate that it is unequivocally a loan program, when the Fed (the authors of Reg Z) only recently sought public comments on the same issue. Maybe the OCC is just smarter?

In any case, if I worked for a national bank, I would not tweak the nose of the hangman just yet.

I'm not aware of any book or guide, but note the concise quality of tsorbe's advice. If you really want to read up on the subject, the letters submitted to the Fed are public - I know because I have had calls on mine. If you search the Threads using key words, you will locate several prior discussions. In any case, the topic is still in flux which means only the people who want to sell you something know the real answers.

Return to Top
#118020 - 10/02/03 03:44 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
jwr1996 Offline
100 Club
jwr1996
What do I need to avoid in order to keep my Overdraft Product out of the regulation of Reg Z? Another consultant told me that it must never have more than four (4) payments to repay. Is that true and what else? I can't find the four payment rule in reg. Z.

Return to Top
#118021 - 10/02/03 03:57 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Refer to 226.1(c) for Reg Z coverage definitions

Return to Top
#118022 - 10/06/03 05:18 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
Anonymous
Unregistered

As a means to attempt to shield the "workout" agreements from Reg Z coverage under the 4 payments rule, ODP vendors have advised banks to establish an ACH authorization with the customer, whereby the customer has the right to terminate the payments. The idea to is avoid the appearance/determination that a workout/repayment agreement is a contract and the customer is obligated to repay - in which case Reg Z would likely apply. This is a rather subjective analysis that you should review with your counsel to make sure your comfortable under Z and state law.

Return to Top
#118023 - 10/06/03 05:24 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Quote:

ODP vendors have advised banks to establish an ACH authorization with the customer

I'm confused - ACH from what and based on what type of authorization?

Return to Top
#118024 - 10/06/03 05:42 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
tsorbe Offline
tsorbe
Brookings, SD
Typically, the programs have a repayment program for customers who abuse the system or simply find themselves "in over their heads". Banks will establish some sort of repayment agreement for the overdrawn balance. Typically, the bank charges off the negative balance to a deposit loss account, the checking account is returned to a zero balance, and the customer agrees to have a set amount automatically debited from the checking account for a certain period of time until the charged off balance is repaid. The optional nature of the ACH agreement referenced above is a way to ATTEMPT to avoid coverage under Reg Z and state contract law.

Return to Top
#118025 - 10/06/03 06:01 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well the term ACH agreement threw me, because normally a bank does not send periodic intrabank account transfers through an ACH system. Those are normally reserved for interbank transfers.

So when the checking account still doesn't have money in it to make these payments - do we get to whack them for another overdraft fee? $$$ God I love this creativity - just think of the creativity that Congress is going to dream up one of these days for these ODP programs.

It reminds me of the last words my pappy said to me - "Be careful son, that gun is loaded"

Return to Top
#118026 - 10/06/03 06:18 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
tsorbe Offline
tsorbe
Brookings, SD
I suppose technically a bank would be authorized to charge the NSF fee and I'm sure many do.

As much as it pains me to acknolwedge, this may be a good example of why Hawke called ODP "another accident waiting to happen." While I think the agency has been a bit melodramtic on this issue, the industry should take advantage of the lack of clear regulatory guidance and consider some "best practices" as it relates to this service.

http://www.occ.treas.gov/ftp/release/2003-75a.pdf

Return to Top
#118027 - 11/03/03 09:57 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Trent,

We are just getting started in this type of program. Of course, I was brought in on the final training, not in the implementation. According to the training materials I was given, we will be setting a "Fresh Start" repayment plan that will be an auto-debit from the checking account. The repayment agreement looks an awful lot like an installment loan disclosure. It will show a 0% APR. Payments are to be setup for 6 or 12 months depending on the amount of the overdraft. This form is what has me intrigued. If it is not under the loan regulations, why make it look like a loan agreement? I just hope we don't get into problems with this.

Return to Top
#118028 - 11/03/03 10:11 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I hope management is in the process of boosting their ALLL since they are turning these unpaid overdrafts into restructured loan transactions and will have to be writtem off against the ALLL instead of taking an operating loss. They most likely will have to reserve 100% for them. Remember to look for fair lending considerations when you are restructuring these overdraft amounts, i.e., who gets the 6 month terms versus who gets the 12 months terms, how is further collection activity going to be performed and monitored for fairness, etc., etc.

Return to Top
#118029 - 11/04/03 10:03 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
There are set procedures for when letters go out on the different types of checking accounts and the 6 or 12 month repayments depends on the amount overdrawn.

Return to Top
#118030 - 11/05/03 01:01 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Randy's advice is sound. Depending on volumes, if you track repayment histories and complete a thorough analysis of losses you may be able to justify a different reserve. You should also address extensions, renewals and the charge off time on this part of your portfolio. You should also address what amount, if any, will be paid into the OD for a customer with a fresh start loan. These are items you want to CYA on.

Return to Top
#118031 - 03/01/04 08:37 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
Some Days You Just Can't Win Offline
Gold Star
Some Days You Just Can't Win
Mississippi River Valley
Quote:

I suppose technically a bank would be authorized to charge the NSF fee and I'm sure many do.

As much as it pains me to acknolwedge, this may be a good example of why Hawke called ODP "another accident waiting to happen." While I think the agency has been a bit melodramtic on this issue, the industry should take advantage of the lack of clear regulatory guidance and consider some "best practices" as it relates to this service.

http://www.occ.treas.gov/ftp/release/2003-75a.pdf

In Hawke's remarks he referred to a letter written by Ken Fergeson (ABA Chairman) that was sent to all bank CEOs on the subject of bounce protection. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of that letter. Of course, my CEO doesn't have it.......

Or If someone has a copy they are willing to fax me.........507-457-1101 attn Compliance. Thanks.

Return to Top
#118032 - 03/01/04 09:29 PM Re: Overdraft Protection
Bullseye Offline
Platinum Poster
Bullseye
Check ABA.COM Due Diligence Reports.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett