Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1184399 - 05/15/09 03:06 PM Fed Box
bls Offline
100 Club
Alabama
I am somewhat embarrassed about asking this basic question. In the Fed box on our note agreements, there is a box that has the following verbiage "brief description of other property". One of our loan officers said that at a compliance class, they were told to put the description of the collateral in this field. However, I have always understood this to mean any property other than the collateral listed in the security agreement section (such as all deposit accounts). I also understood this to be used in situations such as a loan made to a company, which is secured by real estate owned by the shareholder. Since the company is not the owner, it is not listed in the collateral field, but rather in this other property field. What does anyone else put in this field? Any suggestions/examples are greatly appreciated!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1184417 - 05/15/09 03:19 PM Re: Fed Box bls
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
You should have two boxes - 'Goods or Property Being Purchased' and 'Brief Description'. If the loan is secured by the property being obtained from the proceeds you indicate 'Goods or Property Being Purchased' and you're done. If the loan is secured by something other than this <i.e. a bank CD> you indicate 'Brief Description' and list the collateral <i.e. Bank CD #1234>.

(m) Security interest. The fact that the creditor has or will acquire a security interest in the property purchased as part of the transaction, or in other property identified by item or type.

The above section was taken from Regulation Z 226.18.
Last edited by Duchess Skittles; 05/15/09 03:20 PM.

Return to Top
#1184419 - 05/15/09 03:24 PM Re: Fed Box Skittles
ktac MITCH Offline
Diamond Poster
ktac MITCH
Giant side of TX
Originally Posted By: Duchess Skittles
You should have two boxes - 'Goods or Property Being Purchased' and 'Brief Description'. If the loan is secured by the property being obtained from the proceeds you indicate 'Goods or Property Being Purchased' and you're done. If the loan is secured by something other than this <i.e. a bank CD> you indicate 'Brief Description' and list the collateral <i.e. Bank CD #1234>.

(m) Security interest. The fact that the creditor has or will acquire a security interest in the property purchased as part of the transaction, or in other property identified by item or type.

Just to expand on the correct answer by Duchess - - If the loan is not purchase money you mark the Brief Descrip box and indicate ie 2006 Ford F-150, while the Security Agreement would give the specific description (VIN #) so you get attachment and perfection on exactly which F-150.

Return to Top
#1184427 - 05/15/09 03:29 PM Re: Fed Box ktac MITCH
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Originally Posted By: ktacMITCH
Originally Posted By: Duchess Skittles

Just to expand on the correct answer by Duchess - - If the loan is not purchase money you mark the Brief Descrip box and indicate ie 2006 Ford F-150, while the Security Agreement would give the specific description (VIN #) so you get attachment and perfection on exactly which F-150.

We don't even do that much. We indicate "your vehicle" or "your savings account" or "your stock certificate." Adding too much info is just another place for a typo that might (though not likely) come back and haunt you.

Return to Top
#1184557 - 05/15/09 04:50 PM Re: Fed Box swiggles
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:
We don't even do that much. We indicate "your vehicle" or "your savings account" or "your stock certificate." Adding too much info is just another place for a typo that might (though not likely) come back and haunt you.

I agree with this 100%. We too enter generic terms such as 1-4 Family Dwelling, Motor Vehicle, Certificate of Deposit, etc. We don't even put "your" in front of it. However, you have the option to be a precise in the description as you wish to be.

Review the Commentary to 226.18(m).

Return to Top
#1185114 - 05/17/09 01:37 PM Re: Fed Box bls
Richard Insley Online
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Originally Posted By: blskms
In the Fed box on our note agreements, ...to be used in situations such as a loan made to a company....

This is a commercial loan and is not covered by Regulation Z. Generally, commercial notes are less lenient than consumer notes and should always be used unless it's clearly a consumer transaction.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z