Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#118583 - 09/29/03 08:32 PM Salary Information
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I am in the process of preparing a request for a salary increase. I can't seem to get accurate information based on some of the resources I have found. Now, I know I can't expect anything substantial, but I was wondering if anyone has any resources they use, or if you would mind giving your opinion on what type of salary I should be making??? Here is some info:
I started at a bank as an audit clerk, moved up to staff auditor. Left that bank came to another bank as the Asst. Auditor. I report to the Director of IA. It is just her and I in the department. I currently have an AAS in Criminal Justice, pursuing an BA in Security Systems (intrusion detection, computer forensics). I have been in my current position for 3 years in December. I am privy to a lot of confidential information, report all my audits directly to the audit committee and am considered an officer of the bank. I make approx 27000 a year. Depressing. I feel that I am worth more than that right now, but I don't know what exactly I am worth. Any info will help. I have no certifications- as I don't have my BA yet.

Return to Top
Audit
#118584 - 09/29/03 08:46 PM Re: Salary Information
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I would say about $100K a year, plus stock options.

How about starting with your HR department and seeing how they have your position graded and find out what is the salary range? If you think that your position is misgraded, then you need to talk to them about reviewing the position for appropriate grading within your organization. Organization size, location, perceived value of the position, perceived value of you, area demand for your skills all have an influence.

It's a little more complex that say I do this - what am I worth.

Return to Top
#118585 - 09/29/03 08:55 PM Re: Salary Information
Anonymous
Unregistered

You might try your state banking association. Our HR department orders a salary survey from the Florida Bankers Association every other year. We try to keep our salaries in line with other banks so we don't find out the hard way that a salary is low. Of course HR won't share but you can imagine their problem.

Return to Top
#118586 - 09/29/03 11:30 PM Re: Salary Information
wlavoie Offline
Gold Star
wlavoie
Hell's Canyon
Robert Half also publishes salary ranges. You can visit their website and request a copy.

Return to Top
#118587 - 10/01/03 04:05 AM Re: Salary Information
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Have you considered looking for another job and seeing what you would be paid there? While there are many ways to value things, I like to know what they are worth. Exactly what you do and where you do it is key. We don't have that. You and your current and next employer do.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#118588 - 10/01/03 01:38 PM Re: Salary Information
Last Mango Offline
Gold Star
Too Far From the Beach
As rlcarey said, you can try to get info from your HR department. HR often uses industry salary surveys performed by trade groups such as the ACB or ABA. Sometimes they use local HR consulting firms to provide this data. If you have a progressive HR department, they may share info with you. But, do not count on them sharing the survey information.

The IIA annually publishes salary ranges by industry, department size and region. There is also salary.com. Try to use as many sources as you can get.

Of course, Andy's suggestion is the best. It is hard to argue with an offer. But, if you use this info to better your salary at your current position, be prepared for management's response.

Return to Top
#118589 - 10/02/03 03:09 PM Re: Salary Information
IUalum Offline
Platinum Poster
IUalum
Kentucky
You might try www.salary.com.

Return to Top
#118590 - 10/02/03 03:37 PM Re: Salary Information
K8T Offline
100 Club
K8T
I have fallen down the rabbit ...
salary.com is a good starting place. I had applied for a staff audit position at a small bank and the salary you reported was about right- although I feel that is low.

Return to Top
#118591 - 10/02/03 04:14 PM Re: Salary Information
IUalum Offline
Platinum Poster
IUalum
Kentucky
You also have to consider the area and the enjoyment you get from your job. I don't make much more than you, and I know I could make more money somewhere else, but this is the best place I've ever worked and the best job I've ever had. Plus, the stress level is a whole lot less than at other banks where I've worked. To me that's better than a big salary.

Return to Top
#118592 - 10/03/03 02:29 PM Re: Salary Information
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you all for the advice. I just feel like I am worth more than what I am being paid at this point. I know for a fact that if I were to leave, they would do what they could to keep me, (I hope that doesn't sound too self-centered) but I don't want to leave this place, I actually like it here!

By the way, salary.com came in WAY above what I think I am worth at this point.

Return to Top
#118593 - 10/03/03 07:16 PM Re: Salary Information
Anonymous
Unregistered

Other factors include what part of the country you reside in, but I'm certain you've weighed that already; whether your skills are attestation-based, internal control and assurance, or governance; the substance, content, and value of your reports; and other objective (versus subjective factors). Remember that the IIA and other audit salary guides are based on a threshold of a "staff" auditor with a B.S. degree in accounting, finance, or an accounting-related curricula. Having as associates degree is good, but I say keep pursuing your education and get a B.S./B.A. (whatever you're getting), and also pursue professional certifications. Sometimes in life we inadvertently get a high opinion of ourselves, and this can be worse than having low self esteem. I would have a heart-to-heart talk with an HR professional, or someone you trust (but not your boss), and get an objective opinion about what you can do to enhance your development. Are you dressing correctly? I don't mean expensive clothes; I mean the correct materials, not tight, shined shoes, neat, no tattoos showing, etc., etc. Also, this is not a criticism, but a criminal justice associates degree may not be perceived as the best foundation for financial institution auditing. Perhaps you could broaden your studies into a more business-like and/or financial matriculation. Even law enforcement agencies recruit accounting, finance, and technology people now, so maybe the criminal justice concentration didn't help you. Just don't quit; don't pout; work at it.

Return to Top
#118594 - 10/06/03 11:36 AM Re: Salary Information
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Test your money talk skills on Monster - a quiz. This is related to the topic above.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#118595 - 01/20/04 09:48 PM Re: Salary Information
JSQ Offline
New Poster
A lot depends on where you live. It would be nice to make $100K, but where I live, that is never going to happen! (Though, my cost of living is lower than a lot of places too.) It's a good suggestion to see what someone else will offer, but in my experience, without a BS or BA degree, you will get a lower offer. I agree that looking at salary information at www.salary.com or on www.monster.com is a good way to tell what you can make in your area. Just keep in mind that you need to adjust it down about 10%. That's what I did and it came out about right. I searched for over a year for a comparable salary...it's just a tough market out there. Good luck asking for the raise!
Last edited by JSQ; 01/20/04 09:49 PM.
Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z