Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1194101 - 06/01/09 10:08 PM CIP - last 4 digits of SSN provided
AnnRoy Offline
Platinum Poster
AnnRoy
South
Our CIP policy requires authorized signers to follow CIP requirements. We have a business customer who is large privately-held company and are opening an account at our bank. The company's H/R dept will not release the SSN of the authorized signers without consent.....that's kewl.

Their comment was one of the last several banks they had accounts accepted the signer's last 4 digits of the SSN. This is a first for our bank so my question is - Will this comply with the CIP requirement of providing the SSN?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1194105 - 06/01/09 10:34 PM Re: CIP - last 4 digits of SSN provided AnnRoy
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The requirement for an authorized signer's SSN comes from your policy, not the regulation. Change your policy and it's fine, but I'm not certain what value the last 4 digits would have to you.

Return to Top
#1194433 - 06/02/09 04:51 PM Re: CIP - last 4 digits of SSN provided Elwood P. Dowd
AnnRoy Offline
Platinum Poster
AnnRoy
South
Yes, Ken I know the regulation doesn't require authorized signers to be CIP'd but our bank made that decision before my BSA Officer appointment.

I realized most banks don't require this for obvious reasons. So I would appreciate any feedback for banks who do/do not require authorized signers and why? PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PM with your feedback.

As our bank grows, this our requirement for this will grow to be a PAIN, so now may a good time to re-visit this policy requirement.

THANKS!

Return to Top
#1197872 - 06/09/09 02:51 PM Re: CIP - last 4 digits of SSN provided AnnRoy
EdieT Offline
EdieT
PA
Hi, Ann,
I am at a medium sized bank ($350M) & we require CIP info on all authorized signers-including the entire SSN. We feel the need to fully identify all persons permitted access to the account. We create a profile for each signer & that way they are scanned regularly along with our database to make sure they are not on the restricted lists.

Return to Top
#1198077 - 06/09/09 06:08 PM Re: CIP - last 4 digits of SSN provided EdieT
NewTooBSA Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
I am at a bank with assets of 1.3 Billion and we require full CIP for all signers including POAs on accounts. We do the same as Edie does, a profile is created for each signer and due diligence is performed just as if they are an owner of the account.
If someone does not want to provide the information, we do not add them as a signer.

Return to Top
#1198085 - 06/09/09 06:14 PM Re: CIP - last 4 digits of SSN provided EdieT
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
Originally Posted By: EdieT
Hi, Ann,
I am at a medium sized bank ($350M) & we require CIP info on all authorized signers-including the entire SSN. We feel the need to fully identify all persons permitted access to the account. We create a profile for each signer & that way they are scanned regularly along with our database to make sure they are not on the restricted lists.

Same thing here. We are $350M as well.

Return to Top
#1198182 - 06/09/09 07:42 PM Re: CIP - last 4 digits of SSN provided J2C
nemsi Offline
Gold Star
We CIP and ID all authorized signers. Why would the SSN not be coming from the signer when they are added to the account? i can understand that an HR department wouldn't release the info but the individual should be providing that. Maybe I misread something?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z