BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#119636 - 05/13/05 04:48 PM Re: son's heart surgery
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Jennifer, you're all in my thoughts & prayers.

Return to Top
#119637 - 05/13/05 06:03 PM Re: son's heart surgery
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
Good luck and we will be praying for you.

Return to Top
#119638 - 05/13/05 06:07 PM Re: son's heart surgery
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
You and yours are in our prayers Jennifer!

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#119639 - 05/14/05 04:01 PM Re: son's heart surgery
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Warm thoughts and hugs to you, August will come sooner than you think. I will pray for him and his doctors. You guys enjoy the summer, create some memories and prepare for August.

Return to Top
#119640 - 05/16/05 01:39 PM Re: son's heart surgery
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
Thank you all for the support. We initially had thought that his surgery might be as soon as June! That seemed way too soon, and it ended up not working out with my husband's work schedule (as long as we were able to work around it). As it turned out they were very accomodating at the hospital and we could basically choose the date. Now August seems so far away....but hopefully after these first few days of finding out the surgery date and not being able to concentrate on anything life will "get back to normal" and we will be able to enjoy our time before the surgery.

Return to Top
#119641 - 07/28/05 02:55 PM Re: son's heart surgery
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
Hello everyone, well we are getting closer to the big day, and I am looking for some guidance. I have been making my lists of what to pack for our hospital stay. Anyone have any tips for us?
Anything that you didn't bring that you wished you would have?
Anything that you thought you would need and use, but never did?
Any ideas, tips or hints you may have learned along the way would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
#119642 - 07/28/05 03:57 PM Re: son's heart surgery
LinMarie Offline
100 Club
LinMarie
Lots of reading material or other stuff to keep you busy. Also toys and games for your son to keep him satisfied once he is able after the surgery. Coloring books, card games, etc. The hosptial my son was in provided a tv to play videos on. Movies are always good!

Also bring extra cash for you and your family to eat. We ordered take out or ate in the cafeteria everyday, it adds up quick.

Good luck! It will be over before you know it!

Return to Top
#119643 - 07/28/05 04:41 PM Re: son's heart surgery
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
Thanks Lin, we will put all of those things on our list especially extra money for meals!

I hadn't thought about cards, that will be a great way to help keep him entertained!

Return to Top
#119644 - 07/28/05 04:45 PM Re: son's heart surgery
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
Make sure you include loose coin with your money. We spent a lot of money in the vending machines buying sodas and coffee. A lot of them take dollar bills these days, but not all.

Return to Top
#119645 - 07/28/05 05:02 PM Re: son's heart surgery
Silent Valley Offline
Texas
Also check with the hospital. Ours has a "club", for $10 a year you get VIP status that includes a 10% discount on the cafeteria, gift shop, etc. The discount can add up quick if you are there awhile. Ask the Patient Advocate or whatever they are called at your hospital. Lots of prayers for you, the doctors and all the caregivers.

Return to Top
#119646 - 07/28/05 05:22 PM Re: son's heart surgery
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
When we had to stay in the hospital games were a godsend, also maybe a little cooler to fill in the AM with juice, soda, ect so you don't HAVE to leave the room when you don't want to. (Most of them will give you ice) I had to wait until someone else showed up to get me stuff because it was just too hard to leave his side. Bring some single serve snacks of your/his favorite so you don't have to buy there too.

Return to Top
#119647 - 07/28/05 07:37 PM Re: son's heart surgery
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
Be sure to take your book of telephone numbers (family, friends, etc.) Also, a pad and pen for notes. And of course a laptop to send us a progress report.

Return to Top
#119648 - 07/28/05 07:44 PM Re: son's heart surgery
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
You may want to PM momofnataliebear. They have it down to a science. She'll have great ideas for what they bring for the Bear and what they bring for themselves!

Return to Top
#119649 - 07/28/05 08:28 PM Re: son's heart surgery
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
When you're deciding on what games, reading materials, etc., try to bring things that don't need a long attention span. Between his medications, your concern for him, and all the distractions of being in a hospital, you won't be able to concentrate on anything for very long.

I also like to bring my own Kleenex - the stuff they provide is usually pretty scratchy!

I hope all goes well for him.

Return to Top
#119650 - 07/28/05 08:38 PM Re: son's heart surgery
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
Thanks for all of the good ideas. I did send a PM to Becca, but I know she is busy taking care of Natalie right now.
I will be sure to post that all went well once the surgery is over

Return to Top
#119651 - 07/29/05 02:55 AM Re: son's heart surgery
wavewatcher Offline
Diamond Poster
wavewatcher
Hawaii
I would also take along some music you and he may enjoy. Sometimes watching tv or playing the video games hurt my eyes (especially after that good cry). Some hospitals will loan you a cassette/cd radio - check or bring your own portable. Music is calming to me.

Return to Top
#119652 - 07/29/05 01:23 PM Re: son's heart surgery
arb Offline
100 Club
Illinois
Someone already mentioned a pad of paper and pen. This especially helpful for jotting down questions for the doctors, their responses and other things they tell you. Trust me, if I had not done that by the time my husband would get off work and get the the hospital I would have forgotten. Usually the first few days and the last couple you are overwelmed with info. Also, a guest book or journal to record visitors and gifts. This is something you can keep and show to your son when he is older and he will realize how many people loved and cared about him when he was going through all of this. In the journal you can record your thoughts and feelings each day. It is amazing what we go through for our kids, but we would never trade it in a million years. Good luck!

Return to Top
#119653 - 07/29/05 01:54 PM Re: son's heart surgery
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I hope all is well.

Return to Top
#119654 - 07/29/05 03:57 PM Re: son's heart surgery
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
Prayers from Idaho, let us know how things are going.

Return to Top
#119655 - 07/29/05 04:24 PM Re: son's heart surgery
Okie Dokie Offline
Platinum Poster
Okie Dokie
Prayers from Oklahoma too.

Return to Top
#119656 - 07/29/05 08:13 PM Re: son's heart surgery
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
Thanks everyone for the help and the prayers. Only 10 days before the surgery. In some ways it seems like it is coming to fast, but in others it seems like it is so far away.
He is so cute! We have been talking to him a little bit about the fact that the doctors are going to fix his heart and he looks at us and says back "doctors gonna fix a my heart?" We really have to get it on video tape.

Return to Top
#119657 - 07/30/05 04:15 PM Re: son's heart surgery
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Warm thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Return to Top
#119658 - 07/30/05 08:00 PM Re: son's heart surgery
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Check out the hospital for things like a computer lab with public access. You really don't want to take too many valuables to the hospital. If they come to take him for a test or something, you'll want to go right along and they won't wait for you to lock stuff up. Unfortunately, it's too easy for stuff to 'disappear' out of the hospital what with staff and visitors all over all the time.

You might want to wear pants with pockets or have one of those charming fanny paks that you can just grab and go. Fashion rules are kinda lax in hospital. Have ya' seen those funny boots they wear over their shoes?

Also, if he hasn't been exposed to masks already, see if you can get your hands on a cap and mask and wear them yourself so your little one will get some kind of understanding that they're not scary.

prayers and ((hugs))

Return to Top
#119659 - 08/01/05 01:27 PM Re: son's heart surgery
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Here's a list:
- Portable DVD player, and bring AC adapter
- Favorite DVDs or CDs
- Any noise makers (if your child needs one) to help him get to sleep at night. We got one with ocean sounds for about $20. It really helps everyone (mom and dad too) sleep better in the room.
- Cell phone charger
- Extra $$ (or see if there is an ATM in the hospital)
- New crayons and a new coloring book
- We just help ourselves when on the floor in the hospital to juice and ice, etc. But don't be afraid to call the staff to help you. That's why they are there.
- People magazines, books, handheld games, cell phone games, for you during the procedure.
- Any other "lovies" that your little one may need to fall asleep.
- For you: Shampoo, soap, conditioner, change of clothes (not sure how long you'll be inpatient - for long stays we always scope out the nearest laundry-mat), slippers or sandals for you, comfy clothes.
- Insurance cards.

We now leave the house with 4 bags. My bag, hubby's bag, diaper bag, and a bag of just toys for the bear. We also always take the stroller.

Return to Top
#119660 - 08/01/05 02:42 PM Re: son's heart surgery
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
Thanks for the great list Becca! I appreciate everyone's help and prayers. I had all the list of things to bring and lots of stuff packed for my other two girls, who were going to be staying with grandma. Unfortunately, grandma has a detached retina...it just happened this weekend. So we are now in the process of trying to make other arrangements for our girls. I think we should be just about set. I am so glad that this happened when it did so we had time to plan for it. Just a little wrinkle in the plan

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett