BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#119758 - 10/02/03 08:18 PM World Cup Soccer
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Anyone else watching world cup action? I especially liked the road to the cup special that was on last night. Way too bad about the women's league.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#119759 - 10/02/03 08:21 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
Anonymous
Unregistered

I watch and enjoy - too bad it's butted up against Cubs, but I am a long time soccer player and coach, and most of the US players look mighty nice in their soccer jerseys and shorts - what's not to enjoy!

Return to Top
#119760 - 10/02/03 08:58 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Sounds like CubDave is waiting for one of them to take their shirt off like in the last world cup.

Return to Top
#119761 - 10/02/03 09:03 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
World Cup? That's a sporting event - watching old, rich guys in their boats? Oh, wait - that's something else, equally exciting of course!!!

(All kidding aside - my sis-in-law played soccer in college and after watching her run up and down the filed for 90 minutes - WOW - new respect here!!!)

Return to Top
#119762 - 10/02/03 10:20 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
I wish they would have interviewed some of those guys from WVa after their practice game. I wonder who was more nervous --- The guys worried about getting beat by a bunch of old women (well, older than college guys) or the women getting beat by a bunch of hormone crazed kids?? Anyhoo, what an experience!!

Return to Top
#119763 - 10/02/03 10:24 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
I watch the men's games every year. Don't understand the rules at all but I just can't seem to stop watching.

Return to Top
#119764 - 10/03/03 12:04 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I am going to my first soccer game ever on the 11th, any advice?

Return to Top
#119765 - 10/03/03 01:57 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
My brother happened to be in San Diego about 2 months ago at a seminar, and when they were out for supper they saw Mia Hamm at their restaruant - she was orginally not so friendly when he approached her (which is understandable - who wants to be bothered when having supper) - but when he explained he really is a fan and that his wife played and now coaches soccer, she really opened up and visited with him for about 10 minutes or so - he was really impressed with her!! - GO USA!!!!!

Return to Top
#119766 - 10/03/03 03:21 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Maria, is it a World Cup game?

Return to Top
#119767 - 10/03/03 03:25 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
No. Actually, it's our state team, The NJ Metrostars, they play at the Meadowlands. I never heard of them until my bank sponsored them this year. But I have "13th Man" seats. Someone told me they are good.

Return to Top
#119768 - 10/03/03 03:44 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Mia Hamm attended the same junior high and high school that I did, in Wichita Falls, Texas, and was a very reserved kid. She was a few years younger than me, but I was very impressed with her even at that age. She was on the practice field before and after school almost every day, even if she was all alone. I don't think I have ever met anyone else in my life with her dedication. She actually was the quarterback for the school football team. Talk about shaking up a Catholic Prep school!!! I have alot of respect for the person that she has become.

Return to Top
#119769 - 10/03/03 04:00 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

No. Actually, it's our state team, The NJ Metrostars, they play at the Meadowlands. I never heard of them until my bank sponsored them this year. But I have "13th Man" seats. Someone told me they are good.

Bring a book! Don't get me wrong, I have lived soccer all my life, but it bores me to watch, especially outdoor soccer. Indoor is a whole different ballgame.

Return to Top
#119770 - 10/03/03 04:03 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Maria, if you know a little about soccer, go and have a great time. If not, drop by the video store and rent The Green Machine, it's a great Disney movie and covers the basics. I am so jealous!! Saw the US Women play Brazil in July, it was awesome, and unbelieveably hot in New Orleans. Sooooo glad we did that.

Return to Top
#119771 - 10/03/03 04:05 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Dave, "Bring a book"!!! Shame on you.

Got your poster ready for this weekend?

Return to Top
#119772 - 10/03/03 04:20 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, I think I need to keep my hands free to have a beer and also to keep in gloves. Right now, it is about 48 degrees and pouring rain. They say it should stop later this afternoon, but I may need more than a beer to stay warm. Tomorrow will be sunny but cold. Feel like I am going to a Bears game. We don't usually have baseball in October here! And Soccer Mom - I can't help it. I love playing soccer (indoor mostly), I love coaching, but I am just not a big fan of watching outdoor soccer.

Return to Top
#119773 - 10/03/03 04:32 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Thanks SoccerMom, I'll do that (being particularly clueless about any sport other than show-jumping).

And Dave, be careful, I bet SoccerMom can kick your butt!

Return to Top
#119774 - 10/03/03 04:56 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have no problem with that!

Return to Top
#119775 - 10/03/03 06:55 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
not likely. Unless I am challenging you to margarittas at dusk!! Almost time to go practice,

Return to Top
#119776 - 10/08/03 03:13 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
Anonymous
Unregistered

What a hard loss for the USA Women on Sunday. Soccer has become the only sport in our home. I have 14 yr. old twin daughters that play fall, winter and spring soccer. I've coached since they were in the 2nd grade, including the JR. High traveling team and this fall I'm doing the girls' High School Traveling Club team. Due to the deep involvement with the sport, I am also on our local soccer board and a couple of years ago I was talked in to becoming a state referee.

We have been glued to the TV for the entire World Cup, whether USA was playing or not. They've got several young women that will make huge names for themselves in the future. A couple have gotten an early start, Abby Wambach and Kat Reddick. USA gave a good fight against Germany, but just couldn't finish. They play again on Sunday for third place. What a disappointment after winning the World Cup in '99.

Return to Top
#119777 - 10/08/03 05:45 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
We watched just feeling stunned when US lost. Gotta say, though, that it really was one of the best games I've ever seen, and the best thing that can happen for the women's teams are that they play games that are great to watch.

Return to Top
#119778 - 10/08/03 08:28 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
You might want to double check those listings for US game. I believe they play for 3rd place on Saturday afternoon (2:30 CT) and the championship game is Sunday (11:30 CT).

Sooooo sad about the women, thank goodness the Cubs were winning on another channel!!

Return to Top
#119779 - 10/09/03 05:58 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Hated to see the women lose. Germany is a tough team. It was a very good game to watch, even if USA lost.

Return to Top
#119780 - 10/09/03 08:46 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Quote:

..... Bring a book! Don't get me wrong, I have lived soccer all my life, but it bores me to watch, especially outdoor soccer. Indoor is a whole different ballgame.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, but I was glad to leave soccer behind me in the UK. It dominates British TV sports coverage for ten momths of the year, and eleven months in years when the world cup is played. I don't think that there is a night of the week when there isn't coverage on TV, and not just British games but French, Spanish, Italian and German too.

I mistakenly believed when satellite and cable TV took off in the UK at the end of 1980's there would be more sports coverage to chose from, in fact what happened was that there is now more soccer to chose from.

Avoid soccer like the plague, it is the sporting equivalent of kudzu!

Return to Top
#119781 - 10/10/03 08:40 PM Re: World Cup Soccer
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
WT -- tell me what you really think I love soccer 1-2 times a week, more for world cup, but at least here in the US, cable TV gives you alot more choices -- football ad nauseum, baseball , sitcoms, movies, news, weather, shopping, gardening, and on and on.

My basic service is $42/month and I get 50 channels -- no premiums like HBO, Showtime, etc. There is PPV which I have thought about in order to get more soccer, but so far, I'm just to cheap.

Return to Top