Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#1198271 - 06/09/09 08:31 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Bobby Boucher
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
but when he grew older and learned the definition of "circle" and "square"...i bet he wouldn't agree with what he said as a 2 yr old

can we really call what his perception of that drawing was a "truth"

i don't know...i've just confused myself anyway smile

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1198286 - 06/09/09 08:40 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Miscuit
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Originally Posted By: Miscuit
but when he grew older and learned the definition of "circle" and "square"...i bet he wouldn't agree with what he said as a 2 yr old

To him, yes it was a truth. I was kind of trying to illustrate how perspective can influence how someone sees the truth, but also, and perhaps more important, that don't necessarily make it right.

Return to Top
#1198290 - 06/09/09 08:42 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Bobby Boucher
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
ok

back to the bushes now? laugh

Return to Top
#1198291 - 06/09/09 08:44 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Miscuit
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic

OK maybe you took my words to mean that I am manipulating the information. Lets just say that four of the items he was given as successes I would say he didnt even do them. Three successes he did something that really didnt mean anything. Because of this, I am questioning the objectivity of the source.

Maybe I should have not been so nice.

Return to Top
#1198294 - 06/09/09 08:47 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Miscuit
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
ok

back to the bushes now? laugh

whistle

Return to Top
#1198297 - 06/09/09 08:49 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Bobby Boucher
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/about/

This is put out by a newspaper. I would say after reading this its hardly scientific, nor is it really objective. That said I went through their home page and found articles bashing and supporting both sides of the political spectrum.

Return to Top
#1198301 - 06/09/09 08:52 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Sound Tactic
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By: Green Tea

OK maybe you took my words to mean that I am manipulating the information. Lets just say that four of the items he was given as successes I would say he didnt even do them. Three successes he did something that really didnt mean anything. Because of this, I am questioning the objectivity of the source.

Maybe I should have not been so nice.

I'm sorry-come again? crazy

Return to Top
#1198303 - 06/09/09 08:53 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Bobby Boucher
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Bobby Boucher

To him, yes it was a truth. I was kind of trying to illustrate how perspective can influence how someone sees the truth, but also, and perhaps more important, that don't necessarily make it right.

No, the TRUTH was, it was not a square. Just because someone thinks an apple is an orange doesn't make that apple an orange. It's still an apple, the person is simply ignorant of the truth.

Return to Top
#1198326 - 06/09/09 09:07 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Sound Tactic
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: Green Tea
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/about/

This is put out by a newspaper. I would say after reading this its hardly scientific, nor is it really objective. That said I went through their home page and found articles bashing and supporting both sides of the political spectrum.

Thanks for posting the about page, I was looking for it. Which reminded me, I really like the truth-O-Meters too, in addition to the promise tracking that I posted above.

Some of my favorites:

"If you actually took the number of Muslims [sic] Americans, we'd be one of the largest Muslim countries in the world."
Barack Obama on Monday, June 1st, 2009 in interview with Canal Plus Television
Rated [Liar, liar] Pants on Fire

This one is interesting to me - I had thought that Steele was ranting and raving again - "President Obama will now own 60 percent of GM, and his union buddies will own almost 20 percent." Rated - True

Another good one:
CIA documents and Pelosi at odds
"We were not, I repeat, were not told that waterboarding or any of these other enhanced interrogation methods were used." Rated - FALSE

And a Half-truth example is here:
Obama's "first call (as president) to any head of state was to Mahmoud Abbas, leader of Fatah party in the Palestinian territory."

Return to Top
#1198341 - 06/09/09 09:15 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop QCL
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
why has none of this ^^^^^^^ been considered newsworthy?

Return to Top
#1198559 - 06/10/09 02:00 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Pale Rider
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
The only thing news worthy is more bad news.

Return to Top
#1198606 - 06/10/09 02:37 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop QCL
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Originally Posted By: B_F

No, the TRUTH was, it was not a square. Just because someone thinks an apple is an orange doesn't make that apple an orange. It's still an apple, the person is simply ignorant of the truth.

mad B_F, so now you're calling my little boy ignorant!?! mad

(just kidding wink ) I think we all realize that it wasn't a square. I wasn't stating that someone's perspective changes THE TRUTH, but that perspective does impact one's perception of what is true. My point being that THE TRUTH should be black and white, but our various perspectives lead us to see in shades of grey - otherwise, I don't reckon we'd argue so much.

so "truth" varies with perspective?

I believe so, at least that's what Ms. Sotomayor tells me...
^^^This is where the conversation began. I took Miscuit's comment to mean that she believed perspective had no place in determining what is true. I brought up Sotomayor's apparent belief that her perspective leads to better decisions, looking to start a discussion about how to reconcile those two ideas. Alas, it did not go that way and all I got out of it was the realization that my son was pretty stoopid when he was 2... frown

Return to Top
#1198613 - 06/10/09 02:41 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop QCL
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
why has none of this ^^^^^^^ been considered newsworthy?
Originally Posted By: QueenChop'dLiver
The only thing news worthy is more bad news.

Unfortunately, I would consider the information above to be more bad news, yet it is still not considered newsworthy.

Return to Top
#1198615 - 06/10/09 02:43 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Bobby Boucher
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
AAHH- I've missed this smile

Return to Top
#1198616 - 06/10/09 02:44 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Bobby Boucher
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Bobby...your son was not stupid at 2...he just had the mentality of a 2 yr old!

but I still think perspective has nothing to do with "the truth"

Return to Top
#1198617 - 06/10/09 02:45 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Miscuit
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Ahhh... that could be said of so many... whistle

Return to Top
#1198630 - 06/10/09 02:53 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Retired DQ
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
are you two tag teaming today?

look, it's all blameable on Bush!

Return to Top
#1198642 - 06/10/09 03:00 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Pale Rider
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Finally, he gets it! laugh

Return to Top
#1198644 - 06/10/09 03:04 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Jo
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: Moss81
It took 8 years to bring the U.S. to it's knees on W's watch, let's at least give the guy the rest of his term and then judge his performance.

Moss, where did ye go?

I didn't see your response to my (and others') questions.

Hello????

Return to Top
#1198646 - 06/10/09 03:05 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Retired DQ
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Bobby...your son was not stupid at 2...he just had the mentality of a 2 yr old!

Like father, like son then?

And I still think that it shouldn't. But IMO there is a often times a difference between "the truth" and what we see to be true. Just for giggles, let's change the above quote slightly for a different situation to illustrate better (perhaps)...
Quote:
Bobby...your son was not stupid at 22...he just had the mentality of a liberal!

Return to Top
#1198649 - 06/10/09 03:06 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop *nUnZeO*
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Originally Posted By: *nUnZeO*
AAHH- I've missed this smile

And this has missed you - where ya been?

Return to Top
#1198650 - 06/10/09 03:07 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Miscuit
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club

I'm sorry. Usually I just read these but...Miscuit, you're joking, right? If not, where is this 'truth' of which you speak so that we all may know it and stop arguing about it? Perspective, ie, the way one is raised, their religion, education, etc, is all that anyone has to base 'the truth' on, isn't it?

Return to Top
#1198659 - 06/10/09 03:15 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Truffle Royale
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
But we've all learned, Truff, that the world is not black and white. There are many, many shades of gray.

Joe the Dem sees Obama's spending as Great; John the Pubbie thinks its horrible. Which is the truth? It's all in the way you look at it.

Bobby - whether they're 2 or 22 or 82, men always seem to have the mentality of a 2 year old wink

Return to Top
#1198661 - 06/10/09 03:16 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Truffle Royale
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
maybe i'm confusing "truth" with "fact"?

so the way you were raised, your religion, your education, etc. would lead you to a different "truth" as to what makes a square a square? (as in BF's explanation)

hmmmm...interesting

and no...i wasn't joking

Return to Top
#1198670 - 06/10/09 03:20 PM Re: Obama's approval ratings continue to drop Miscuit
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Ok, so we're talking 'truth' vs 'fact'. Fact is a square is a square. Perspective (back to your core beliefs) influences whether you believe what BO is preaching is the truth or not. All I'm saying is I agree with the concept of perspective influencing what one believes to be the truth.

Return to Top
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6