Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1205379 - 06/22/09 06:28 PM MDIA - Redisclosure APR Tolerance
BLB Offline
100 Club
I have read and re-read many of the various posts on this topic and just want to see if there has been a consensus on whether the re-disclosed initial TIL on is required if the APR exceeds the the tolerance? Any over disclosure of the APR would not require the "new" re-disclosed TIL?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1205443 - 06/22/09 07:15 PM Re: MDIA - Redisclosure APR Tolerance BLB
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
There's no doubt in my mind. The reg says if the APR is outside of tolerance. It doesn't say only if it is understated.

Return to Top
#1205650 - 06/23/09 12:45 AM Re: MDIA - Redisclosure APR Tolerance David Dickinson
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
I agree, David. "Out of tolerance" runs from 1 basis point over or under the allowable tolerance all the way to infinity. Although the consumer may not be overcharged, s/he is deprived of the accurate information required for Reg. Z to achieve its primary purpose--informed credit shopping. Imagine if lenders could say "APR does not exceed 1,000%." That's a true statement and would not result in an overcharge, but would be useless as a comparison shopping tool.

Return to Top
#1205672 - 06/23/09 08:21 AM Re: MDIA - Redisclosure APR Tolerance Richard Insley
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
But in reviewing the revised regulation and related Commentary, Comment 19(a)(2)(ii)-1 provides that corrected disclosures are not required when the APR previously disclosed is considered accurate under the tolerances in § 226.22:

§ 226.22 Determination of annual percentage rate.

(4) Mortgage loans. If the annual percentage rate disclosed in a transaction secured by real property or a dwelling varies from the actual rate determined in accordance with paragraph (a)(1) of this section, in addition to the tolerance applicable under paragraphs (a)(2) and (3) of this section, the disclosed annual percentage rate shall also be considered accurate if:
(i) The rate results from the disclosed finance charge; and
(ii)(A) The disclosed finance charge would be considered accurate under § 226.18(d)(1)
(B) For purposes of rescission, if the disclosed finance charge would be considered accurate under § 226.23(g) or (h), whichever applies.
(5) Additional tolerance for mortgage loans. In a transaction secured by real property or a dwelling, in addition to the tolerances applicable under paragraphs (a)(2) and (3) of this section, if the disclosed finance charge is calculated incorrectly but is considered accurate under § 226.18(d)(1) or § 226.23(g) or (h), the disclosed annual percentage rate shall be considered accurate:
(i) If the disclosed finance charge is understated, and the disclosed annual percentage rate is also understated but it is closer to the actual annual percentage rate than the rate that would be considered accurate under paragraph (a)(4) of this section;
(ii) If the disclosed finance charge is overstated, and the disclosed annual percentage rate is also overstated but it is closer to the actual annual percentage rate than the rate that would be considered accurate under paragraph (a)(4) of this section.

§ 226.18 Content of disclosures.
(d) Finance charge. The finance charge, using that term, and a brief description such as "the dollar amount the credit will cost you."
(1) Mortgage loans. In a transaction secured by real property or a dwelling, the disclosed finance charge and other disclosures affected by the disclosed finance charge (including the amount financed and the annual percentage rate) shall be treated as accurate if the amount disclosed as the finance charge:
(i) is understated by no more than $100; or
(ii) is greater than the amount required to be disclosed.

I think what everyone is gnashing their teeth over is when a customer elects to float the rate in hopes that rates drop. If that happens, and then you have to send out a revised disclosure, you are going to have one ANGRY customer if they lose the lower rate because they didn't lock and are unable to close due to the extended delay.

I foresee some real outrage as it is in a rising interest rate environment if someone is constantly chasing a rate and is unable to close because of the enforced waiting periods for the amended TIL. Can you imagine the outrage if the frustrated consumer finally locks a rate so that in 6 days (3 to mail, 3 to wait) they can close only to read that interest rates just dropped?

Return to Top
#1205684 - 06/23/09 11:30 AM Re: MDIA - Redisclosure APR Tolerance Princess Romeo
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
Thanks for posting this Bonnie.

This is what I was going by as well. What do the experts think, please? smile

Although, I was thinking the overstatement had to be the result of an overstated fee. That way if you had stated the fee at the correct price, your APR would have been correct or if you misquoted a payoff amount (customer payment passed in the mail on a refi to another lender).

I believe any change of terms is going to trigger a re-disclosure
Last edited by Tigg; 06/23/09 11:33 AM.

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1205758 - 06/23/09 01:17 PM Re: MDIA - Redisclosure APR Tolerance Tigg
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I agree §226.22 doesn't require redisclosure, but §226.19(a)(2)(ii) does:

If the annual percentage rate disclosed under paragraph (a)(1)(i) of this section becomes inaccurate, as defined in § 226.22, the creditor shall provide corrected disclosures with all changed terms. The consumer must receive the corrected disclosures no later than three business days before consummation. If the corrected disclosures are mailed to the consumer or delivered to the consumer by means other than delivery in person, the consumer is deemed to have received the corrected disclosures three business days after they are mailed or delivered.

This section doesn't say, if the APR is under-disclosed. It also doesn't say "look to §226.22 to determine if you need to redisclose". It tells you to redisclose (period) if it is out of tolerance. It refers you to §226.22 to determine what "out of tolerance" means - .125/.25%.

It's really that simple.

Return to Top
#1205771 - 06/23/09 01:25 PM Re: MDIA - Redisclosure APR Tolerance David Dickinson
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
David,

I'm probably just being dunce ::puts on cone hat:: but what does 226.22(a)(4) add to all of the mix? It references the above sections that Bonnie alluded to.

I'm teaching this rule in sections-APR tolerances being the last part because there's been so much discussion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! smile

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1205805 - 06/23/09 01:59 PM Re: MDIA - Redisclosure APR Tolerance Tigg
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
My point is that the MDIA rules [§226.19(a)] set a new standard. It states "if you are out of tolerance". It doesn't say "if you under disclose". It points you to §226.22 to determine what "out of tolerance" means.

That's my understanding. Hopefully, we'll get more guidance. That's the problem with issuing a regulation in mid-May and requiring it to be implemented by 7/30.

Return to Top
#1205839 - 06/23/09 02:16 PM Re: MDIA - Redisclosure APR Tolerance David Dickinson
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Thank you David. I appreciate your knowledge as always!

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1205892 - 06/23/09 03:01 PM Re: MDIA - Redisclosure APR Tolerance Tigg
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
I have a call in to our examiner (Fed) and will let you know if I get any clarification. The following is a quote from an article written by Richard J. Andreano, Partner, Weiner Brodsky Sidman Kider PC (I think I found it on a mortgage compliance website):
Quote:
Additionally, the MDlA Rule provides that the annual percentage rate disclosed in the early disclosures must become inaccurate as defined in Regulation Z Section 226.22 to trigger the obligation to provide corrected disclosures. The Board confirms in the preamble to the MDlA Rule that accuracy is determined under the broader regulatory tolerances applicable to the annual percentage rate that are set forth in Regulation Z Section 226.22, and not under the narrower statutory annual percentage rate tolerances (of one-eighth of a percent for regular transactions and one-quarter of a percent for irregular transactions). The tolerances in Section 226.22 include the overstatement tolerance.

If a change occurs that does not render inaccurate under Section 226.22 the annual percentage rate set forth in the early disclosures, the creditor still would need to provide corrected disclosures before consummation consistent with Regulation Z Section 226.17(f). However, the consumer would not have to receive the corrected disclosures three business days before consummation.

This seems more in line with Bonnie's interpretation.

Return to Top
#1206257 - 06/23/09 06:23 PM Re: MDIA - Redisclosure APR Tolerance David Dickinson
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: David Dickinson
I agree §226.22 doesn't require redisclosure, but §226.19(a)(2)(ii) does:

If the annual percentage rate disclosed under paragraph (a)(1)(i) of this section becomes inaccurate, as defined in § 226.22, the creditor shall provide corrected disclosures with all changed terms. The consumer must receive the corrected disclosures no later than three business days before consummation. If the corrected disclosures are mailed to the consumer or delivered to the consumer by means other than delivery in person, the consumer is deemed to have received the corrected disclosures three business days after they are mailed or delivered.

This section doesn't say, if the APR is under-disclosed. It also doesn't say "look to §226.22 to determine if you need to redisclose". It tells you to redisclose (period) if it is out of tolerance. It refers you to §226.22 to determine what "out of tolerance" means - .125/.25%.

It's really that simple.

David - it's more of a "follow-the-regulatory-bread-crumb-trail" since 226.19 refers you to 226.22 which refers you to 226.18 which says the APR (for mortgage transactions) is still accurate if the F/C (and resulting APR) is over-disclosed.

I believe the amendments to to 226.22 and 226.18 came about to prevent unethical consumers and attorneys from forcing recision just because a lender disclosed a fee or F/C higher than what was actually charged.

Return to Top
#1206589 - 06/24/09 01:18 PM Re: MDIA - Redisclosure APR Tolerance Princess Romeo
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
So I'll just advise all of our clients to disclose 100% APR on the P-TIL. (that's sarcasm).

Return to Top
#1206814 - 06/24/09 03:46 PM Re: MDIA - Redisclosure APR Tolerance David Dickinson
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
So what's the bottom line here? Is everyone going to redisclose for anything out of the .125/.25 tolerance whether it's up or down? Are we going to turn blue holding our breath waiting for more guidance?

Return to Top
#1206815 - 06/24/09 03:46 PM Re: MDIA - Redisclosure APR Tolerance David Dickinson
RUKiddingMe Offline
100 Club
RUKiddingMe
Great discussion, I've been rehashing this in my office as well.

I tend to view this as Bonnie does; overstated APRs on the PTIL which is given in good faith, and based on the disclosed finance charge would be considered accurate in a mortgage transaction.

Purposefully providing an overstated APR (to avoid any potential re-disclosure later) would not be in good faith...as such, it should not be considered accurate under 226.19, IMO.

Return to Top
#1208129 - 06/25/09 10:50 PM Re: MDIA - Redisclosure APR Tolerance RUKiddingMe
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: RUKiddingMe
Great discussion, I've been rehashing this in my office as well.

I tend to view this as Bonnie does; overstated APRs on the PTIL which is given in good faith, and based on the disclosed finance charge would be considered accurate in a mortgage transaction.

Purposefully providing an overstated APR (to avoid any potential re-disclosure later) would not be in good faith...as such, it should not be considered accurate under 226.19, IMO.

That's exactly how I am approaching this. The issue that has been driving everyone nuts is the issue of rate or point drops and it seems counter-productive to delay or prevent a consumer from taking advantage of a better deal.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z