Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1202106 - 06/16/09 08:28 PM New Notary Rules
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
I totally missed this new pilot program for notaries involved in conveyances involving property in Cook County.

Can someone confirm for me that a notary has to put their residential address on the form even if they are employed by a bank? I was not clear on that and I hope it is not true.

Return to Top
#1202494 - 06/17/09 03:29 PM Re: New Notary Rules Tesla
Dave M_TCA Offline
Platinum Poster
Dave M_TCA
Wherever my most benevolent em...
5 ILCS 312/3-102(c)(5) does state:
(5) The date of notarization, the fee charged for the notarial act, the Notary's home or business phone number, the Notary's residence street address, the Notary's commission expiration date, the correct legal name of the Notary's employer or principal, and the business street address of the Notary's employer or principal;

Return to Top
#1202929 - 06/17/09 08:01 PM Re: New Notary Rules Dave M_TCA
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
I think we will have a lot of refusals to notarize documents for that reason. We have several wives of police officers who work at our bank and, for obvious reasons, we take great effort to protect their privacy. I can't risk have one of them harmed for having their home address on a public document.

This may sound over-protective, but there have been issues. I wish the legislature would have considered such things.

Return to Top
#1207326 - 06/24/09 09:00 PM Re: New Notary Rules Tesla
LdyStormy76 Offline
New Poster
DuPage County
The Notary Record is not something that is actually recorded. For a Notary that is employed by a bank, “the notary shall deliver the original Notarial Record to the notary's employer or principal within 14 days after the performance of the notarial act.” (5 ILCS 312/3 102 B 6 d) It then becomes the responsibility of the employer to safeguard the Record for the period of time as set forth in the statue.

According to the changes to the Notary Act, the record is not subject to disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act and the contents of the Record may only disclosed upon receipt of a subpoena.

If you have not already done so, read the complete Public Act 95-0988, which is what amended the Notary Act. It also spells out the requirements for identification cards that are acceptable for a Notary to use for identification. Another good resource is the National Notary Association course about the new law.

Return to Top