Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1207863 - 06/25/09 05:01 PM SAR filing and Police
Overboard Offline
100 Club
Overboard
Minnesota
Can I give a copy of a SAR to the police?
Thanks

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1207881 - 06/25/09 05:15 PM Re: SAR filing and Police Overboard
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Regulations promulgated by your federal functional regulatory agencies, not FinCEN, say:

c) Reports to state and local authorities. A bank is encouraged to file a copy of the suspicious activity report with state and local law enforcement agencies where appropriate.

"Encouraged" is an unusual word to find in a regulation. It's sort of like "may" on steroids.

Personal opinion only, I would need a good reason to do this. My faith in the confidentiality available from local law enforcement is thin.

Return to Top
#1207923 - 06/25/09 06:09 PM Re: SAR filing and Police Elwood P. Dowd
Overboard Offline
100 Club
Overboard
Minnesota
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Return to Top
#1207953 - 06/25/09 06:46 PM Re: SAR filing and Police Overboard
CantBeShocked Offline
Gold Star
MS
I agree with Ken's answer above. I give SAR information to Federal agencies with a written request but hesitate with local authorities. On only one occasion have I done so and it was with an officer that I knew personally whom I know to be a diligent officer who was already aware of the sitation upon which the SAR was based & filed. However, there is another local police force in a city that has constant management struggles, crime issues, bad moral, etc.....with whom I would never share information. It is commonly believed that most of the officers are "on the take" or that they would "CYA" in all situations.....even in detriment to other people, the banks, etc.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z