Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1208941 - 06/26/09 08:25 PM Auditor Writing Policy
osoalone Offline
100 Club
Texas
Are there internal auditors who write policies for various areas of the bank? When I write up in my findings to have a policy for a particular area, management responds with they will be willing to view the policy internal audit wants to write.

Return to Top
Audit
#1209222 - 06/29/09 02:09 PM Re: Auditor Writing Policy osoalone
Dazed Auditor Offline
Platinum Poster
Dazed Auditor
Acceptance, USA America
As an internal auditor I have never and would never write policy for management.

Return to Top
#1209309 - 06/29/09 03:49 PM Re: Auditor Writing Policy Dazed Auditor
Life of Riley Offline
Gold Star
In a pineapple under the sea
I'm right there with Dazed Auditor. To assist management with that task you can provide some guidance such as "a comprehensive policy should include...". Ultimately these are management decisions, not IA.

Return to Top
#1209316 - 06/29/09 03:54 PM Re: Auditor Writing Policy Life of Riley
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
The auditor audits for compliance to the policy. They do not write them. That is management's responsibility.

Return to Top
#1209382 - 06/29/09 05:19 PM Re: Auditor Writing Policy Ready to Retire
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
"If you already know what should be in the policy, go ahead and write it. Why should I reinvent the wheel?"

Uh, because I can't audit myself? Here is what we have in our audit charter/policy:

The Board and its Audit Committee should ensure that internal audit staff is independent of bank management. The audit staff should be free of management influence as to scheduling, audit hours budgeted, and report findings. Members of the Audit Department should not have the responsibility of fixing internal control deficiencies, correcting deviations from bank policies and procedures, writing policies, or otherwise becoming part of the process under audit review as this impedes audit objectivity and independence.

You can always have a little chat with your audit committee chairman and/or examiners if you have a good relationship with them. If your audit chairman can't/won't educate management, your examiners should be able to discuss audit independence.

Return to Top
#1211481 - 07/02/09 05:13 PM Re: Auditor Writing Policy Neytiri
osoalone Offline
100 Club
Texas
Thank you all for your input!

Return to Top
#1229376 - 08/07/09 04:47 PM Re: Auditor Writing Policy osoalone
MTW75 Offline
Lexington, Kentucky
As the internal auditor, if I see a deficiency in a certain policy/procedure, it would be irresponsible to not notify management and recommend something more appropriate. For instance, if I see an employee possessing incompatible duties, part of my job is to notify management/audit committee of the internal control weakness and make an appropriate recommendation. Does that mean that internal control can't be put in policy because I "wrote" it?

Creating a policy/procedure and performing operations guided by that policy/procedure are two different things.

The acceptance and approval of policies/procedures are still the responsibility of management and the Board....so, if my experience and expertise enables me to strengthen the policies of my Bank through recommendations, how can I not offer those suggestions???

Return to Top
#1229411 - 08/07/09 05:18 PM Re: Auditor Writing Policy MTW75
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Making a recommendation is not "writing a policy".
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z