Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options Tools
#120910 - 10/08/03 12:44 AM RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
Anonymous
Unregistered

WARNING: If your image is too large, it faces deletion!

Why? This weekend, I wanted to print out one particularly interesting thread. I chose "Print-Friendly" and printed away. I was not too happy when I picked up the stack of paper and realized that user pics which do not conform to the size requirements had "puffed up" to their normal, non-acceptable size and had warped the page so that the right hand side lopped about 10 characters off each sentence.

PLEASE. Go find one of the threads you have posted in. Select the Print Friendly link at the bottom of the thread. Then look at your picture. Compare it with the small ones on the page. If yours is not 80 x 80, we're going to have to send the image police to get you. (Which means that we will delete it.)

If you want us to resize it for you, send us an email or PM. If it is an animated graphic, however, resizing is not possible and you'll need to choose something else.

If, after this message has been up a week, you notice non-compliant images, please deputize yourself as part of the image police and let us know about the offending photos/graphics.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but I wasted about 40 sheets of paper because of these nonconforming images and I don't want others to suffer the same fate.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#120911 - 10/08/03 03:37 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I'll second the recommendation to take a look at your images.

Why, because you should be kind to your fellow BOL'ers.

I was looking at a thread a few minutes ago that was 13 pages printed from my browser window, with the advertisements. Do I want to print the ads, not really. That is why there is a convenient "Print Thread" link at the bottom on each thread. Using this it was only 1 page shorter because so much space is taken up by a large picture. That picture creates a wide left column which causes the loss of text on the right and a waste of paper and ink. My thread should be about 4 pages, not 13.

Please look at your source picture and resize it to 80x80. How it displays in the placeholder on the thread and how it prints (based on its true size) are different and you'll help us all by looking at this.

Plus, I see time and again where a user shows a thread to someone else in their bank to prove a point, a serious point. And if they do this with a printout that includes a 3 inch by 5 inch picture of a child, grandchild, pet, flower or whatever, you have to agree that the level of professional appearance drops.

Look at your source image or just go to a thread and click the "Print Thread" link. It opens a new window for you. It doesn't automatically print it. And you'll see a preview. If that left column is really wide, there are large images.

So help your fellow posters. Please.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#120912 - 10/08/03 04:05 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Andy! Say it isn't so!!!!! I went to check my picture and I can't tell if I'm violating the size law or not (not real bright when it comes to this computer stuff.) The properties says it is 144x163 pixels. But when I performed the Print Thread test, none of the text was skewed like Mary Beths. Can you help me?

Return to Top
#120913 - 10/08/03 04:12 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

WARNING: If your image is too large, it faces deletion!

MB - since you posted my picture from an e-mail, I assume it is okay size wise, but if not, feel free to take my mug off and replace with anything - picture of a baseball (whatever)

Return to Top
#120914 - 10/08/03 04:27 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I suppress all pictures from showing when I am viewing posts through my preference selections - why can't the same thing be done for the "print friendly" version? Who wants to hand out even small pictures of some of us

Return to Top
#120915 - 10/08/03 05:24 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
None of the text was skewed, but your graphic does cause a wider left column and that means less text to the right.

If I were the picture police (and I don't know if I'll be deputized or not but I have my Barney Fife bullet in my pocket already ) I'd say that chicken better dance faster to lose some weight. About 64x83 if you want to be disproportional.

As to Randy's suggestion about using the browser settings to turn off graphics, excellent! I wouldn't do that browsing as it isn't an inconvenience to me and I look for icons when I am searching a post. Visual is better. But for printing, that is a great tip.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#120916 - 10/08/03 05:28 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
JSD Offline
Platinum Poster
JSD
USA
Would it be possible for the system to be set up that when you select print thread that the pics do not print?
Just a thought.

Return to Top
#120917 - 10/08/03 05:38 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Typically, viewing graphics is a user setting that applies to all sites you visit. While it may be possible, I don't know for sure, as a user I want to control my browser settings, not a Webmaster.

I also don't know if this could be a user setting for just this site controlled as you do other site properties. That would be an answer, but it may be a difficult proposition.

Return to Top
#120918 - 10/08/03 05:57 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Gee, it was so easy to resize, now if it would only work in real life.

Return to Top
#120919 - 10/08/03 06:00 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
"Sniffle, sniffle, sniffle" ....Okay Andy, if I end up having an identity crisis over this...you may have to pry me out of the BOL bar! Actually it was kinda fun finding a new picture, just in time for the holidays!

Maria! Maria! Where did you go honey? It's an exaggerated Adkins diet!
Last edited by MackenzieS; 10/08/03 06:02 PM.
Return to Top
#120920 - 10/08/03 06:03 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
I need technical help! When I went into my preferences and changed it so that I wouldn't see posters' pictures, I lost my style sheet! And now, when I try to get it back, it isn't available! What happened? The one I was using isn't either of the two options that are available!!

Return to Top
#120921 - 10/08/03 06:04 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
If Daves pic is too big can we submit pics for you to replace it with? Muhahahahaha (got that spelling yet Andy?)

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#120922 - 10/08/03 06:12 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
Rangers Fan Offline
Gold Star
Rangers Fan
CubDave, how 'bout a picture of a baseball that oh, say maybe looks like the one from the 3 run shot Pudge hit in the 2nd inning last night (I am certain you were watching)? Or maybe one of the other solo homers smacked back to back in that same inning? Sorry, can't help giving a happy Cub fan some grief-not like you aren't used to it or anything. I can envision a Sox/Cubs series...now THAT will be history just waiting to be made, huh? I think Mark Prior is starting for the Cubs tonite so I may be singing a different tune....for sure when Kerry Wood takes the mound for game 3.

Return to Top
#120923 - 10/08/03 06:12 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Dawnie, I bet they are going to just shrink Dave's big head, I mean picture!

Return to Top
#120924 - 10/08/03 06:59 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Andy - FYI - Whether or not to view pictures with your posts is a selection under "My Home" and " Display preferences, number of shown threads, languages, colors... " so it is at this site level rather than at my browser level.

Return to Top
#120925 - 10/08/03 07:15 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I thought we could get him a pumpkin Maria...darn! (That big head remark was the only funny thing T ever said LOL...Dave ruined his fun when he didn't freak out)

Return to Top
#120926 - 10/08/03 07:38 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
Rangers Fan Offline
Gold Star
Rangers Fan
He is probably in prayer for the game tonight and didn't see the post...heehee!

Return to Top
#120927 - 10/08/03 07:58 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
No, he was standing in the street last night and got hit by Slammin Sammy's homer -- hence, big head (Just kidding Dave)

Return to Top
#120928 - 10/08/03 08:08 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
BTW, for those of you that missed my little green monster, he will not be returning afterall, he's a little to fat for the thread - 90 x 130!!!

Return to Top
#120929 - 10/08/03 08:14 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe I will just remove my picture altogether so that BOLers don't need 20" widescreen monitors - with my fat head out of the way, you can probably get by with 12" mini-monitors!

Return to Top
#120930 - 10/08/03 08:27 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Dave,
It looks like your picture is already compliant. So I don't think any further headshrinking is in order for you.

Return to Top
#120931 - 10/08/03 10:09 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
On the other hand Jac...those ears are awfully fluffy

Return to Top
#120932 - 10/08/03 10:14 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
See why I'll never put my picture on BOL?

Return to Top
#120933 - 10/08/03 10:24 PM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
What. You don't want to be told you have fluffy ears?

Return to Top
#120934 - 10/09/03 12:34 AM Re: RESIZE YOUR PICTURES, FOLKS
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I really like the idea of examining the possibility of suppressing the profile pics for the "Print Thread" version.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2