BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1209711 - 06/30/09 01:20 AM Lt. Col. Tim Karcher
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
On tonight's ABC News, reporter Martha Raditz interviewed Lt. Col. Tim Karcher in Baghdad about the impending turnover of security to Iraqi troop and what he expected. The Colonel stated anything from all out fighting to helping the local Iraqis.

Some time later, he was the victim of a vicious bombing attacking and lost both of his legs.

Meanwhile, back in the US, people are celebrating the loss of Michael Jackson, a drug using, accused pedophile who never did anything for anybody other than himself. A man (termed used loosely) who made billions of $, who could have made life better for people living in abject poverty around the world, is receiving worship worthy of Mother Theresa and others of similar worth.Why, simply because he was a talented entertainer!

Meanwhile, the Lt. Col. Karcher's of our military,who voluntarily go into harms way to do our government's will are an afterthought and remain basically unknown to mainstream Americans. How sad!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1209718 - 06/30/09 02:32 AM Re: Lt. Col. Tim Karcher Fraudman CFCI
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
You couldn't have made that point any clearer, and really since 9/11 is the only time I saw people giving thanks to those of us that were served. In fact we were treated as lower class citizens by communities that had the horror of a military base in their back yard.

Return to Top
#1209725 - 06/30/09 03:15 AM Re: Lt. Col. Tim Karcher kms
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
I will never in my life understand why people worship celebrity and show little gratitude for service to community and country.

It's a sad, sad time we live in.

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1209736 - 06/30/09 05:00 AM Re: Lt. Col. Tim Karcher Tigg
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
My prayers for Lt. Karcher's recovery. How very sad.

As for the comments regarding celebrity vs. service, that is sadly nothing new. That's why teachers struggle to get by on paltry salaries while semi-literates get $$$ in music, video, or sports deals.

However, unless you favor a system that would dictate who gets paid what, then all you can do is make sure you express your gratitude and appreciation to those who serve.

Return to Top
#1209779 - 06/30/09 12:32 PM Re: Lt. Col. Tim Karcher Princess Romeo
Buccs Offline
Power Poster
Ohio
I was sick of this Jackson thing on Thursday within an hour. We get it- he's dead. Can we focus on more important things, like Lt. Col. Karcher?

Thanks for the writeup, Fraudman. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Return to Top
#1209912 - 06/30/09 01:57 PM Re: Lt. Col. Tim Karcher Buccs
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
My daughter and I have been reading more and more American Girl books lately. And we're on the Molly series now...I'll get to my point, I do actually have one wink

At that time in history there was a "victory garden" movement. Tin was in limited supply and American's were encouraged to come together for "our boys." People were told that they could help by growing gardens. The Victory Gardens project supported the conservation of tin cans - there were posters showing veggies lined up - telling people to put their veggies into service.

The posters were made by the government encouraging and fostering pride in our troops, and pride in our country.

So Bonnie, to your comment regarding celebrity vs. service - I think that there was a time in our country's history and in it's culture when service was revered and this attitude came from the top down.

http://www.historicpelham.com/images/BlogImages/Poster2.jpg

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~elkridge/Worldwar2_files/73%20victory%20garden%20poster%203.jpg

http://www.larchmontgazette.com/guide/history/1942/1942rationingd.html

BTW - we planted a Victory Garden this year. Complete with yellow ribbons.

Return to Top
#1209993 - 06/30/09 03:13 PM Re: Lt. Col. Tim Karcher Fraudman CFCI
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Fraudman CPPCFCI
Meanwhile, the Lt. Col. Karcher's of our military,who voluntarily go into harms way to do our government's will are an afterthought and remain basically unknown to mainstream Americans. How sad!

Who do you blame for this?

Return to Top
#1209995 - 06/30/09 03:15 PM Re: Lt. Col. Tim Karcher buggs
Buccs Offline
Power Poster
Ohio
Our celebrity obsessed "infotainment."

Return to Top
#1209996 - 06/30/09 03:15 PM Re: Lt. Col. Tim Karcher buggs
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
the press, obama, liberals...

Return to Top
#1210000 - 06/30/09 03:18 PM Re: Lt. Col. Tim Karcher Retired DQ
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I may be partially to blame as well...

Return to Top
#1210003 - 06/30/09 03:19 PM Re: Lt. Col. Tim Karcher #Just Jay
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
me, too, probably... althought I prefer service over stardom.

Return to Top
#1210353 - 06/30/09 08:27 PM Re: Lt. Col. Tim Karcher Tigg
Czargazer Offline
Gold Star
Czargazer
Pacific Northwest
As a positive aside:

I was at a renaissance faire last weekend and while we were watching a blacksmith ply his trade he stopped what he was doing and inquired of the man standing next to me if he had been in the service (he had on a baseball cap with a military theme). The fellow replied that he had in fact served for several years. The blacksmith then took a moment to thank him in front of the crowd, not once but twice, for serving our country and protecting our freedoms.

So it does happen, even in our everyday lives, that folks appreciate our veterans.

Return to Top
#1210493 - 07/01/09 08:29 AM Re: Lt. Col. Tim Karcher QCL
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: QueenChop'dLiver
So Bonnie, to your comment regarding celebrity vs. service - I think that there was a time in our country's history and in it's culture when service was revered and this attitude came from the top down.

First - let me say I wish you every success with your Victory Garden! I have never had great luck keeping plants alive (although cats, dogs, and fish seem to thrive okay) but this year I bought a 10" potted tomato plant at OSH and am trying to make sure it has water, nutritious soil and sunlight. I just hope I don't get a bunch of tomato bugs....yeeeaccchh!!!!

Regarding the idea of valuing service vs. celebrity, I don't think it's as simple as a "top down" attitude. Recall HW Bush's "thousand points of light” – I don’t recall seeing inspiring posters at the Post Office for that ideal.

The whole Victory Garden, buy U.S. Bonds, save tin cans, and Rosie the Riveter came at a crucial time in our country's history. After being mired in a devastating depression (which had followed a decade of sheer decadence known as the Roaring Twenties), America was facing the possibility of losing a war, and our independence, to a trio of ruthless dictators. After the hardships and sacrifices that were endured for the prior decade, there was a sense of urgency to come together for a common good (our very survival) that permeated every fiber of our society.

This period of time also came before the widespread distribution of television that made possible the transmission of instant communication combined with images. The need for visual appeal became more and more important in order to retain the interest of an audience that was experiencing an ever increasing speed of technological development.

As technical wonder (electric typewriters – large legacy computers – photocopiers – the space race) after technical wonder (word processors - personal computers – mobile telephones – FAX machines) after technical wonder (Hubbell telescope – the internet - laptops – iPods and iPhones) hit like wave after wave, we have all become a bit blasé, and the excitement of fantasy (sports, celebrities, rock and rap stars) has become an escape valve every bit as addictive as the most powerful opiate.

But then again, I may have read a bit too much of Alvin Toffler’s Future Shock when I was a teen.

Return to Top
#1210538 - 07/01/09 12:50 PM Re: Lt. Col. Tim Karcher Czargazer
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
Czargazer, the incident you spoke about reminded me of my husband, who served several years in the Army Reserve. His dad served 3 tours in Vietnam, and several uncles were also in the service.

Every time my husband sees someone either in uniform or wearing some sort of military-inspired cap or jacket, he goes up to the person, shakes their hand and says, "Thank you for your service." Sadly, the person usually looks stunned at the gesture.

Return to Top
#1210545 - 07/01/09 01:12 PM Re: Lt. Col. Tim Karcher Hoosierland
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: Hoosierland

Every time my husband sees someone either in uniform or wearing some sort of military-inspired cap or jacket, he goes up to the person, shakes their hand and says, "Thank you for your service." Sadly, the person usually looks stunned at the gesture.

You know what?
I think I'm going to take that and run with it and follow his lead.

Return to Top
#1210547 - 07/01/09 01:26 PM Re: Lt. Col. Tim Karcher QCL
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
This is such a good, and timely, thread. All too often, I think we (or shall I own up to it and state, I) take for granted what's truly valuable in life and in America. Although I don't generally obsess over celebrity, it is something that is more prevelant in our culture. Sad, but true, we idolize those we may never meet and ignor those heroes among us.

Return to Top
#1210548 - 07/01/09 01:28 PM Re: Lt. Col. Tim Karcher QCL
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We were at Chick Fil-A for lunch a few Saturday's ago. When we got up to leave, my husband went to the counter, handed over his debit card, got a receipt and we left. I asked him what he did. He ordered 4 chocolate milkshakes to be sent to the 4 servicemen in the back and left. I know it was a very small gesture, but I was so proud of him for doing that and not hanging around to be thanked.

Return to Top
#1210574 - 07/01/09 02:19 PM Re: Lt. Col. Tim Karcher Skittles
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
DS, that is a great gesture; well done.

Return to Top
#1210607 - 07/01/09 02:48 PM Re: Lt. Col. Tim Karcher MB Guy
buggs Offline
Power Poster
I think it is admirable to thank current and former servicemembers for their service. However, I hope we do in sincerely from our hearts and not from a sense of obligation or duty. If it's not sincere, then people will know it and may tend to put it in the same category as someone asking a stranger, "How are you?"

Return to Top