Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#121760 - 10/10/03 01:44 PM Venting
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I just got into a slightly heated discussion with the President of the bank. He's arguing about CIP regulations and wanting to make sure all of the other local banks are doing everything the same way we are. He said there has to be some leeway here and common sense. Sheesh!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#121761 - 10/10/03 02:00 PM Re: Venting
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
We do have some leeway. Using our risk assessment procedure, we can balance some procedures using documentary vs. nondocumentary ID, depending upon the type of product, delivery channel, etc. It is feasible that different product lines can have different procedures.

Return to Top
#121762 - 10/10/03 02:25 PM Re: Venting
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
This was a checking account where the customer was going to be a signer. They live approximately 10 minutes away, but wasn't going to come into the bank. It is a checking account for Junior Achievement and he was stressing it was 'only Junior Achievement'.

Return to Top
#121763 - 10/10/03 02:46 PM Re: Venting
Just Jean Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
Unfortunately you are not alone. Some just can't seem to realize that 9/11 changed everything.

Return to Top
#121764 - 10/10/03 03:03 PM Re: Venting
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Quote:

Unfortunately you are not alone. Some just can't seem to realize that 9/11 changed everything.

You can say that again. It must have been the day for heated discussions. I had one with the Loan Officers, Senior Lender and the President/CEO. Right now, I am so frustrated with these people and frankly with this entire job...I could just walk out..

Return to Top
#121765 - 10/10/03 03:16 PM Re: Venting
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
We need to understand where "these people" are coming from. Their focus is on the customer-bank relationship, and anything that makes that relationship (perhaps only in their minds) more difficult is a threat. They are particularly uncomfortable with the idea of a new regulation upsetting established customer relationship paradigms.

Your frustration ought to more accurately be focused on the law passed by Congress in a knee-jerk reaction to the horror of 9/11/01. §326 is a poor reaction to a difficult problem, and we are all stuck having to implement the fallout from it.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#121766 - 10/10/03 03:45 PM Re: Venting
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Quote:

We need to understand where "these people" are coming from. Their focus is on the customer-bank relationship, and anything that makes that relationship (perhaps only in their minds) more difficult is a threat. They are particularly uncomfortable with the idea of a new regulation upsetting established customer relationship paradigms.

Your frustration ought to more accurately be focused on the law passed by Congress in a knee-jerk reaction to the horror of 9/11/01. §326 is a poor reaction to a difficult problem, and we are all stuck having to implement the fallout from it.

This should be for another forum, however......

When the law came out my frustration was focused on the law itself, however, I had to adjust. I am sorry but I am going to disagree with you. I do understand where "these people" are coming from. (By "these people" I am referring to those in this location only, the other branch locations seem to have no problem). Perhaps it is not the same in your entity, however, here it is not the concern that this will dampen the customer relationship.....it is the fact that there is more work for the loan officer to do. That was made perfectly clear during yesterday's meeting.

I do sympathize with them. I know there are many things to remember but they are not having to do anything more than any other bank is having to do......After all, as we have heard so many times before, "I don't make the rules".

They have taken an already time consuming law and added stones along the path. This has only cause their walk to be more painful....

Return to Top
#121767 - 10/10/03 04:28 PM Re: Venting
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Quote:

....... Your frustration ought to more accurately be focused on the law passed by Congress in a knee-jerk reaction to the horror of 9/11/01. ....

Unfortunately Congress is not the only party guilty of knee-jerk reactions. I am aware of several cases of British citizens legally in the US, as the spouses of British citizens who have work visas, but without work authorization themselves, and therefore without SSNs. These people are being told by banks "Sorry, no SSN, no bank account."

It sounds to me like either bad policy, or bad training, not making staff away of the cercumstances when a would-be account holder's application needs to be referred upwards for management consideration.

Return to Top
#121768 - 10/10/03 05:53 PM Re: Venting
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I sympathize with your British friends, WT, and with persons from other countries with similar circumstances. It is unfortunate when a rule that provides for accommodations of such persons is implemented by an FI with an "either/or" mentality.

I predict that, as the "chickens come home to roost" on this CIP mess, many CIPs will be revised. Some will have to become more strict because of regulatory pressure; others will become less strict for competitive reasons.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#121769 - 10/10/03 06:20 PM Re: Venting
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
In a small shop such as ours- I am those people. I watch the bottom line. I concentrate on building profitable potentially long-term relationships with high net worth individuals. I am also taking the time to individually explain to some of these customers exactly what CIP requires and that we (the bank and the customer) can work to elimintate the financing of terrorist activities though banks.

The point to get accross to "them" in your institution is that if they fully understand (to the extent it can be understood) 326, and they take the time to exlpain it WELL, they are actually taking steps towards a more solid relationship.

You can not beat it. Learn it, teach it, and use it to your competitive advantage.

It will get better.

Return to Top
#121770 - 10/10/03 06:36 PM Re: Venting
pgrimes Offline
pgrimes
Glenview, IL
The more comments like these I read, the more I appreciate where I work. Unlike you, I have a ton of support from management and my co-workers. Yes, I've gotten some rolled eyes and "you gotta be kiddings" but for the most part, everyone is marching to the same drummer. To expect your CIP to look like the competition's is not fair. Yes it would be nice if the act was written so black and white that we all had to do the exact same thing, but it wasn't. Using a risk-based approach, that is cognizant of what is best for the bank and your customers, is the only route to take so far. Good luck!!

Return to Top
#121771 - 10/10/03 07:23 PM Re: Venting
Michelle D Offline
Gold Star
Michelle D
Terminator Country
I understand the venting - we had some here also, but what I finally boiled it down to was (1) We are doing most of this anyway, now it's just in writing - this went to the group of people that were complaining about how much extra work this was and that the customer would be adversely affected. (2) We are selling it as a identity theft act. Terrorism isn't an immediate threat in most peoples life on a daily basis, but the threat from identity theft is.

Once we convinced the front line people that this is how it should be sold to the customer, the squaking went away for the most part - still have a few loan officers, but come on, we've never be able to get throught to them in the past - why would this be any different!

Return to Top
#121772 - 10/10/03 07:35 PM Re: Venting
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Michelle D, I also tried to make the point that CIP was not really much different than what we were doing before. Salespeople don't want to strain the customer-bank relationship, in that I agree with John. But it also needs to be pointed out that performance of the CIP is not a sales oriented task. Having to do a "little extra work" with CIP takes away from sales (money making) time. I think that is part of the problem as well.

Return to Top
#121773 - 10/10/03 07:38 PM Re: Venting
Michelle D Offline
Gold Star
Michelle D
Terminator Country
I agree, that's why we are selling it as identity theft prevention - while not money making, good customer relations which can lead to more money making.

Return to Top
#121774 - 10/10/03 08:35 PM Re: Venting
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
Good cutomer relations are money!
1) It is a lot cheaper to retain a customer than attract a new one.
2) The longer the relationship lasts, the less price senitive the customer is.
3) At some point, the customer just might mention your institution in favorable comment to someone else. Advertising does not get any better than that.

Return to Top
#121775 - 10/15/03 05:30 PM Re: Venting
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Here's a thought - with CIP making opening a new account more hassle for some people, perhaps financial institutions will find it easier to retain customers!

Let's see - the bank really ticked me off today, but is it worth the hassle of getting my husband to take a day off of work to come with me to a new bank to open an account?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z