BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#1221206 - 07/23/09 03:33 PM Health Care
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Since the rowdies have taken over the other thread, I thought I would start another one so anyone who wishes to discuss the topic can do so.

I am sure the rowdies will take this one over as well because there is really no reason to discuss these issues and there is no way anyone could see this as blowing off steam.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1221241 - 07/23/09 03:45 PM Re: Health Care straw
Cale_N_Oats Offline
Platinum Poster
Cale_N_Oats
Southern Illinois
I would just like to say that YES i think healthcare needs to be tweaked a little becasue i really don't think its that bad, NO i don't have a plane but i think our public servants should carefully disect it and not rush into anything, and MAYBE if i play the draft right I will be able to dominate in fantasy football this year.

Return to Top
#1221244 - 07/23/09 03:47 PM Re: Health Care straw
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I boil it down to this.

We have all, at some point, had to deal with a government agency for personal reasons, professional reasons, or both. Think of how those dealings went. (pause for thought time). Do you want those same people making decisions on your health care?

The defense rests.

Return to Top
#1221246 - 07/23/09 03:47 PM Re: Health Care straw
A_G Offline
10K Club
I apologize if your feelings were hurt. I'm also sorry that your attempt at taking over the other threads failed. But I did notice the point you were trying to prove. Clever move, worthy advisary, clever move.

Return to Top
#1221248 - 07/23/09 03:47 PM Re: Health Care Cale_N_Oats
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Straw I think I am in agreement with you. Our health care is still cheaper because it does not cost us half of our paycheck. So what is the problem? The problem is that Obama needs to check the detail in his "facts".

Return to Top
#1221249 - 07/23/09 03:47 PM Re: Health Care Cale_N_Oats
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Did anyone watch/hear Obama's speech last night?

Return to Top
#1221257 - 07/23/09 03:50 PM Re: Health Care A_G
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: A G
I apologize if your feelings were hurt. I'm also sorry that your attempt at taking over the other threads failed. But I did notice the point you were trying to prove. Clever move, worthy advisary, clever move.

I am not attempting to take over the other threads. Just thought that thread topics had become pointless and all threads were basically one large chat room. Is this not the case?

Return to Top
#1221260 - 07/23/09 03:51 PM Re: Health Care straw
A_G Offline
10K Club
definitely the case.

for realz.

Return to Top
#1221400 - 07/23/09 05:26 PM Re: Health Care TB 12
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Sox in 07
Do you want those same people making decisions on your health care?

I don't understand where you get this idea. He's not even suggesting that government make decisions for people about their coverage, let alone their health care. The whole point of this reform is put the decision-making back into the hands of doctors & patients - out of the hands of insurance companies, and not in the hands of government.

I didn't watch the speech last night, but looked up a transcript this morning. I don't have any issues with what he identified has been "roughly" agreed to. It seems to me the major conflict at the moment is figuring out how to cover 1/3 of the cost.

I just wonder about the scope of coverage - will people who choose alternative medicine be able to get insurance that will make these treatments more affordable?

Return to Top
#1221406 - 07/23/09 05:30 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
The Congressional majority wants to pay for its $1 trillion to $1.6 trillion health bills with new taxes and a $500 billion cut to Medicare. This cut will come just as baby boomers turn 65 and increase Medicare enrollment by 30%. Less money and more patients will necessitate rationing. The Congressional Budget Office estimates that only 1% of Medicare cuts will come from eliminating fraud, waste and abuse.

Return to Top
#1221416 - 07/23/09 05:37 PM Re: Health Care straw
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Becka, that is the problem with most of BO's speeches. They sound good and relatively innocuous until you start looking at the implications of them, and the actions that will be required to fulfill the promises that he is and has been making.

Do you support the actions he has taken so far?

Return to Top
#1221430 - 07/23/09 05:59 PM Re: Health Care MB Guy
Jafo Offline
Gold Star
Jafo
State of Confusion
The problem I have with this bill is that I just haven't had time to read the 1000+ pages of it to even begin to understand it. I have read some things about it, that do raise some concerns such as: If you have your own plan you will be 'frozen' in that coverage plan.

How true is that? I don't know because I can't even find the bill online to try to verify it.

It seems like BO is trying to sell us something without giving us a chance to read the fine print. (Which could be important)

Return to Top
#1221432 - 07/23/09 06:01 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By: Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Sox in 07
Do you want those same people making decisions on your health care?

I don't understand where you get this idea. He's not even suggesting that government make decisions for people about their coverage, let alone their health care. The whole point of this reform is put the decision-making back into the hands of doctors & patients - out of the hands of insurance companies, and not in the hands of government.

I didn't watch the speech last night, but looked up a transcript this morning. I don't have any issues with what he identified has been "roughly" agreed to. It seems to me the major conflict at the moment is figuring out how to cover 1/3 of the cost.

I just wonder about the scope of coverage - will people who choose alternative medicine be able to get insurance that will make these treatments more affordable?

The point of the "reform" is to provide insurance for the uninsured. The problem is with the Government getting involved to the extent they want to, there will be an enormous waste of recources, and as Straw points out, it will definately lead to rationing, leaving the decision to treat or not to treat in someone elses hands.

Even now certain decisions are out of the doctors and or patients hands. Insurance companies make decisions as to certain procedures, drugs, etc. By no means is the current system perfect. My biggest concern is the speed that he is trying to push this through. Why the big rush to spend a trillion dollars? Everyone needs time to understand the program and where the funding will come from.

Return to Top
#1221446 - 07/23/09 06:07 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

Sadly, you are woefully incorrect on this point. There will be a review panel that will determine what procedures are necessary, taking the decision from both the patient and the doctor, and placing it squarely in whatever government agency/panel that is created.

Return to Top
#1221462 - 07/23/09 06:17 PM Re: Health Care HappyGilmore
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
::cough cough::

is this where i can get some good health care?

Return to Top
#1221469 - 07/23/09 06:22 PM Re: Health Care Miscuit
Jafo Offline
Gold Star
Jafo
State of Confusion
Originally Posted By: Miscuit

Yes it is. You're number 245,678,890 Please have a seat and wait to be called.

Return to Top
#1221471 - 07/23/09 06:24 PM Re: Health Care Jafo
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
who do i need to "pay off" to be next in line?

Return to Top
#1221474 - 07/23/09 06:27 PM Re: Health Care Miscuit
Jafo Offline
Gold Star
Jafo
State of Confusion
Me

Return to Top
#1221476 - 07/23/09 06:28 PM Re: Health Care Jafo
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
smile

Return to Top
#1221504 - 07/23/09 06:47 PM Re: Health Care Miscuit
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
most health related expenses occur in the last year of life, so us oldies will be the ones paying for all this...

by having the care rationed away from us - the ones not worth the effort .....

Return to Top
#1221505 - 07/23/09 06:47 PM Re: Health Care Miscuit
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Miscuit

yes, please bend over and prepare for the government to give it to you good in order to pay for the healthcare...

Return to Top
#1221515 - 07/23/09 06:54 PM Re: Health Care Pale Rider
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
most health related expenses occur in the last year of life, so us oldies will be the ones paying for all this...

by having the care rationed away from us - the ones not worth the effort .....

Well that might be enough to make me change my position smile (just kidding)

Return to Top
#1221525 - 07/23/09 06:57 PM Re: Health Care straw
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
cry

I hope my kids don't think like you straw!

Return to Top
#1221533 - 07/23/09 07:06 PM Re: Health Care HappyGilmore
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: DQ's boytoy
Quote:

Sadly, you are woefully incorrect on this point. There will be a review panel that will determine what procedures are necessary, taking the decision from both the patient and the doctor, and placing it squarely in whatever government agency/panel that is created.

confused Is this what you're referring to:

"The Republican Congress passed a bill that created a panel of health care experts to make recommendations to Congress on how we could get better quality, lower cost. ... It's not going to reduce Medicare benefits. What it's going to do is to change how those benefits are delivered so that they're more efficient."

Return to Top
#1221540 - 07/23/09 07:10 PM Re: Health Care straw
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: straw
The Congressional majority wants to pay for its $1 trillion to $1.6 trillion health bills with new taxes and a $500 billion cut to Medicare. This cut will come just as baby boomers turn 65 and increase Medicare enrollment by 30%. Less money and more patients will necessitate rationing. The Congressional Budget Office estimates that only 1% of Medicare cuts will come from eliminating fraud, waste and abuse.

I don't understand how you conclude that care will need to be rationed, unless you are assuming that Medicare is the only option people have for coverage? confused

Return to Top
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6