Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#1221565 - 07/23/09 07:28 PM Re: Health Care Pale Rider
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
most health related expenses occur in the last year of life, so us oldies will be the ones paying for all this...

by having the care rationed away from us - the ones not worth the effort .....

Maybe healthcare reform is really social security reform in disguise...

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1221568 - 07/23/09 07:31 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: DQ's boytoy
Quote:
I don't understand where you get this idea. He's not even suggesting that government make decisions for people about their coverage, let alone their health care. The whole point of this reform is put the decision-making back into the hands of doctors & patients - out of the hands of insurance companies, and not in the hands of government.

Sadly, you are woefully incorrect on this point. There will be a review panel that will determine what procedures are necessary, taking the decision from both the patient and the doctor, and placing it squarely in whatever government agency/panel that is created.

confused Is this what you're referring to:

"The Republican Congress passed a bill that created a panel of health care experts to make recommendations to Congress on how we could get better quality, lower cost. ... It's not going to reduce Medicare benefits. What it's going to do is to change how those benefits are delivered so that they're more efficient."

not at all (plus, Congress no longer Republican)...

Return to Top
#1221569 - 07/23/09 07:31 PM Re: Health Care JacF
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
All of this talk about cuts to Medicare makes me wonder - could this be why they are trying to push this through so quickly, before AARP gets their members organized and complaining - LOUDLY.

Return to Top
#1221573 - 07/23/09 07:35 PM Re: Health Care Snow Bunny
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I think I'm going to expand my herb garden and buy some books on traditional medicine. Kitchen chemistry has got to be less painful than trying to figure this mess out.

Return to Top
#1221592 - 07/23/09 07:50 PM Re: Health Care RR Becca
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I listened to the speech last night along with various rehashes afterwards. I agree with the newscaster who said 'I've got a Harvard degree and I still can't understand how this plan is supposed to work.'

Spreading the wealth that I've worked hard all my life to accumulate and then telling me I'm too old for an operation that may only give me another five years are both an insult to me. We won't even discuss how, at my expense, caring for people who are too lazy to care for themselves rubs me wrong. I come from a state that started Workfare. You can't sit on Welfare here forever. Maybe it's my Midwestern upbringing that says if you want something work for it. If you earned it, it's your's.

Yes, I think health care needs reform but this isn't it, imho. Start by overhauling the insurance industry and then come back and let me know what we need to tackle next.

**rant over**

Return to Top
#1221601 - 07/23/09 08:00 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: straw
The Congressional majority wants to pay for its $1 trillion to $1.6 trillion health bills with new taxes and a $500 billion cut to Medicare. This cut will come just as baby boomers turn 65 and increase Medicare enrollment by 30%. Less money and more patients will necessitate rationing. The Congressional Budget Office estimates that only 1% of Medicare cuts will come from eliminating fraud, waste and abuse.

I don't understand how you conclude that care will need to be rationed, unless you are assuming that Medicare is the only option people have for coverage? confused

I am concluding that Medicare (which is the primary insurer for elderly) will be rationed. Tremendous cost savings available there.

Make no mistake, if you want to lower medical costs, two things must happen. Defensive medicine practices need to be stopped and care needs to be rationed. Any statements otherwise are just false, as the non-partisan CBO report has made clear.

Return to Top
#1221616 - 07/23/09 08:09 PM Re: Health Care straw
A_G Online
10K Club
Did this thread get back on track? smirk

Return to Top
#1221617 - 07/23/09 08:10 PM Re: Health Care Truffle Royale
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Yes, I think health care needs reform but this isn't it, imho. Start by overhauling the insurance industry and then come back and let me know what we need to tackle next.

Well, according to Sox, the whole point of reform is to insure the uninsured...

And pretty much every major issue raised concerns insurance...

So, it would appear that is exactly where we are starting!

Return to Top
#1221621 - 07/23/09 08:13 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
True. But I need someone to explain how we will add people to the insurance rolls but reduce costs.

For example, look at Mass. They implemented a plan similar to the House plan and costs have skyrocketed.

These are questions neither the President nor Congressional Democrats have answered.

Return to Top
#1221623 - 07/23/09 08:19 PM Re: Health Care straw
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Can we say, Fat Tax, Sugar Tax, Carb Tax, Cable TV Tax, Anything that they want to TAX!

Return to Top
#1221624 - 07/23/09 08:20 PM Re: Health Care DD Regs
A_G Online
10K Club
Air?

Return to Top
#1221625 - 07/23/09 08:22 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
And pretty much every major issue raised concerns insurance...

So, it would appear that is exactly where we are starting!

Not really. Rather than reform the existing, BO is proposing ANOTHER form of insurance run by the government that will cover people that can't get/keep their own insurance.

Then comes the problem that employers will likely drop their coverage forcing more people/everyone onto the government insurance.

In no way should this proposal be mistaken for insurance reform.

Here's a comparison for you. MDIA goes into effect next Thursday. Does it target the people truly responsible for causing the current mortgage crisis? He** no. It forces more reform on the already regulatory burdened banks without saying BOO! to the crooked mortgage brokers. That's the same way this health care reform will ignore the real problem. Throwing money that doesn't even exist at a problem doesn't fix it!

Return to Top
#1221626 - 07/23/09 08:22 PM Re: Health Care A_G
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
There is a lot of concern that employers may stop offering health insurance through private companies if there is a cheaper "public" option out there. More on the rolls, more cost.

Edited to add: TR just beat me to it.

And for what it is worth, how many of these "uninsured Americans" are illegally here? Lets drop that number right from eligibility-that should save billions.
Last edited by Sox in 07; 07/23/09 08:24 PM.

Return to Top
#1221627 - 07/23/09 08:23 PM Re: Health Care A_G
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Return to Top
#1221628 - 07/23/09 08:25 PM Re: Health Care A_G
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Like that ^^^^^ Miscuit! grin

Re Medicare - there most likely are some limits that should be done. I spent 10+ years as caregiver for my FIL. Before I got involved, he would run to the doctor for anything. Little toe hurts - off to the doctor, then complain when doc can't do anything about shoes that he bought that were 2 sizes too small. But would he stop wearing the shoes - not until we took them away.

There are a lot of seniors out there who run to the doctor for everything that comes down the pike. But there's no way to monitor that.

Last edited by P.B.; 07/23/09 08:27 PM. Reason: Add Miscuit Remark

Return to Top
#1221631 - 07/23/09 08:28 PM Re: Health Care Snow Bunny
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
To add to that PB, my FIL has gone through 2 major heart surgeries and has diabetes, yet he still smokes, sits on his rear end all day and eats whatever he darn well pleases. I shudder to think of those costs (thank you everyone) and the fact he doesn't take care of himself.

Return to Top
#1221643 - 07/23/09 08:41 PM Re: Health Care straw
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
True. But I need someone to explain how we will add people to the insurance rolls but reduce costs.

I'm sure that's not a question I can answer. I'm trying to figure this all out, just like you; and it makes my head dizzy...

But, if we create more affordable options for health insurance, then more people can pay for coverage, and if more people are putting money into the system, wouldn't that help to reduce costs across the board?

I think the major hurdle is to allocate resources in a way that gives incentive for people to buy the service. There's an awful lot to this plan that puts the burden of cost directly on the insurance providers, which will save consumers a lot of expense - if they have coverage.

Return to Top
#1221657 - 07/23/09 08:50 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw

I'm sure that's not a question I can answer. I'm trying to figure this all out, just like you; and it makes my head dizzy...

But, if we create more affordable options for health insurance, then more people can pay for coverage, and if more people are putting money into the system, wouldn't that help to reduce costs across the board?

I think the major hurdle is to allocate resources in a way that gives incentive for people to buy the service. There's an awful lot to this plan that puts the burden of cost directly on the insurance providers, which will save consumers a lot of expense - if they have coverage.

Maybe the reason we can't figure out the answer is that there isn't one smile

Return to Top
#1221661 - 07/23/09 08:53 PM Re: Health Care Snow Bunny
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: P.B.
Like that ^^^^^ Miscuit! grin

Re Medicare - there most likely are some limits that should be done. I spent 10+ years as caregiver for my FIL. Before I got involved, he would run to the doctor for anything. Little toe hurts - off to the doctor, then complain when doc can't do anything about shoes that he bought that were 2 sizes too small. But would he stop wearing the shoes - not until we took them away.

There are a lot of seniors out there who run to the doctor for everything that comes down the pike. But there's no way to monitor that.

I was watching Star Trek: Next Generation (I know I am a geek) the other night and the episode was about an alien planet whose inhabitants committed suicide at age 65 so they didn't become a burder to their loved ones.

I know this is a purposely outrageous example, but any rationing smacks of this to me. However, Europeans and Canadians have been living with this for years. I think the difference is the greater individual indepenence endemic to American culture that creates such resistance to these ideas.

Return to Top
#1221663 - 07/23/09 08:56 PM Re: Health Care RR Becca
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
I think I'm going to expand my herb garden and buy some books on traditional medicine. Kitchen chemistry has got to be less painful than trying to figure this mess out.

<<<---- already has an herb garden... laugh

Return to Top
#1221683 - 07/23/09 09:15 PM Re: Health Care Retired DQ
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
I know this is a purposely outrageous example...

You're right, bad example. Logan's Run would have been a much better one smile

Return to Top
#1221694 - 07/23/09 09:29 PM Re: Health Care TB 12
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Sox in 07
And for what it is worth, how many of these "uninsured Americans" are illegally here? Lets drop that number right from eligibility-that should save billions.

No, it won't. Not as long as they are still able to see a doctor. The only way the rest of us are spared the extra expense of their care is if a)they pay for the services out of pocket, or b)have insurance.

Return to Top
#1221696 - 07/23/09 09:37 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
suicide at 65!?!?!?!?

I missed my appointment!

what a nightmare !

Return to Top
#1221708 - 07/23/09 09:47 PM Re: Health Care Miscuit
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Originally Posted By: Miscuit
"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
Official Motto of the State of Californeeya.

Return to Top
#1221762 - 07/24/09 12:56 AM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Originally Posted By: Sox in 07

No, it won't. Not as long as they are still able to see a doctor. The only way the rest of us are spared the extra expense of their care is if a)they pay for the services out of pocket, or b)have insurance.
I'll try really hard not to go off on this topic. It's not aimed at you, Becka. I have personal experience with this and let me tell you, it stinks.

One of the reasons illegals come here is to get free medical care. The stories I could tell you about this would curl your hair. They're not paying for anything. They work in places that either don't offer insurance or require identification that they cannot provide. Trust me, the majority of this group will just continue to use up services that many of us believe should be reserved for Americans who pay for it or, at the very least, are entitled to it by birth/citizenship.

Sorry...as many of you know. I have a strong opinion on illegals.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6