Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#1221809 - 07/24/09 12:30 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
But, if we create more affordable options for health insurance, then more people can pay for coverage, and if more people are putting money into the system, wouldn't that help to reduce costs across the board?

But the plan as proposed does not call for more people to pay for coverage, it calls for increased taxes so that insurance can be given to those who don't have it. So not only will I be paying over $7,000 per year to insure my family (current rates, company paying another $22,000), I will have increased taxes to pay for someone elses...makes me grrrrrr mad

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1221810 - 07/24/09 12:31 PM Re: Health Care HappyGilmore
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
::pats future hubby on the head:: It's OK dear, I got a raise. smile

Return to Top
#1221821 - 07/24/09 12:42 PM Re: Health Care Retired DQ
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
well, with the increase in minimum wage today, I would hope so...

Return to Top
#1222081 - 07/24/09 03:55 PM Re: Health Care HappyGilmore
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: future mrdeekles
Quote:
But, if we create more affordable options for health insurance, then more people can pay for coverage, and if more people are putting money into the system, wouldn't that help to reduce costs across the board?

But the plan as proposed does not call for more people to pay for coverage, it calls for increased taxes so that insurance can be given to those who don't have it. So not only will I be paying over $7,000 per year to insure my family (current rates, company paying another $22,000), I will have increased taxes to pay for someone elses...makes me grrrrrr mad

I'm sorry, I just don't see where anyone has said that uninsured people are going to get it for free. What I keep hearing about is an effort to reallocate resources to create affordable coverage options so that more people can pay for their own insurance (or more employers provide it for their employees) - based on the assumption that health insurance is something people want and would be willing to pay for if they could (so it's not a mandate). The major tax issue I recall is the suggestion to help pay for the plan by limiting deductions for the wealthiest people - probably just one of several options being debated.

Return to Top
#1222091 - 07/24/09 04:01 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
well, if everyone will be "buying" healthcare, why do we need a tax increase to fund it?

Return to Top
#1222115 - 07/24/09 04:17 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Originally Posted By: Becka Marr
I'm sorry, I just don't see where anyone has said that uninsured people are going to get it for free. You do realize that the reason the vast majority of these uninsured people are uninsured is because they're unemployed or cannot afford insurance. What I keep hearing about is an effort to reallocate resources reallocate what resources? If there are resources laying around to be reallocated, how about lowering my insurance premium? Seriously, if there are resources to reallocate, why the need for the huge tax increase? to create affordable coverage options so that more people can pay for their own insurance (or more employers provide it for their employees) - based on the assumption that health insurance is something people want and would be willing to pay for if they could (so it's not a mandate). We're back to the need for people to have JOBS before they can deal with health insurance. How about putting health care on the back burner and letting smarter heads than ours have time to come up with a realistic health plan that is affordable for us as taxpayers now and 10 years from now. Focus on fixing the economy and getting the unemployment numbers down before you forge ahead with higher taxes for something that large numbers of Americans have voiced disapproval of. The major tax issue I recall is the suggestion to help pay for the plan by limiting deductions for the wealthiest people - probably just one of several options being debated.

Return to Top
#1222175 - 07/24/09 05:00 PM Re: Health Care Truffle Royale
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
I'm sorry, I just don't see where anyone has said that uninsured people are going to get it for free. You do realize that the reason the vast majority of these uninsured people are uninsured is because they're unemployed or cannot afford insurance. Yes.

What I keep hearing about is an effort to reallocate resources reallocate what resources? If there are resources laying around to be reallocated, how about lowering my insurance premium? Seriously, if there are resources to reallocate, why the need for the huge tax increase? Reallocating subsidies to Medicare & Medicaid - money we're already paying, but not benefiting from. I have no idea what this "huge tax increase" is that you keep referring to - the suggestion to limit deductions for the wealthiest Americans certainly doesn't affect people like you and me. As far as needing the additional revenue, I can only imagine there would be some intention to expand existing services in order to improve quality. But really, who knows...

to create affordable coverage options so that more people can pay for their own insurance (or more employers provide it for their employees) - based on the assumption that health insurance is something people want and would be willing to pay for if they could (so it's not a mandate). We're back to the need for people to have JOBS before they can deal with health insurance. How about putting health care on the back burner and letting smarter heads than ours have time to come up with a realistic health plan that is affordable for us as taxpayers now and 10 years from now. Focus on fixing the economy and getting the unemployment numbers down before you forge ahead with higher taxes for something that large numbers of Americans have voiced disapproval of. Sorry, you lost me - you want them to put health care on the back burner and also come up with a plan? confused

Return to Top
#1222225 - 07/24/09 05:40 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
The CBO stated the current proposal will costs an additional 1.5 TRILLION dollars to current spending. Do you think we can just keep borrowing or at some point do we need to actually pay for it.

That, coupled with the President saying the changes must be deficit neutral, and you can do the math. 1.5 trillion in additional spending must be accompanied by a tax increase, and a big one.

Return to Top
#1222243 - 07/24/09 06:04 PM Re: Health Care straw
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
I still don't understand why it will cost more money if everyone will be paying for it...

Return to Top
#1222262 - 07/24/09 06:15 PM Re: Health Care straw
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
So, $1.5 trillion is the 1/3 they're currently debating how to cover?

Perhaps we should just eliminate insurance altogether and we can just pay our doctors directly out of pocket for health care services? Of course, that would mean everyone currently working for the insurance industry would be unemployed... crazy

Return to Top
#1222290 - 07/24/09 06:31 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
as opposed to creating government healthcare that will put all the insurance companies out of business and ending with all the insurance employees unemployed??? end result is the same.

again I ask...why will we need to fund this with tax increases (or reductions in tax deductions) of $1.5 trillion if everyone will be paying? Something here is not adding up...

Return to Top
#1222296 - 07/24/09 06:36 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
So, $1.5 trillion is the 1/3 they're currently debating how to cover?

Perhaps we should just eliminate insurance altogether and we can just pay our doctors directly out of pocket for health care services? Of course, that would mean everyone currently working for the insurance industry would be unemployed... crazy

Or perhaps we stop the illusion that we can cover everyone for less money. Bottom line is covering everyone will cost more money, period. If as a society we agree to that, so be it, but to pretend that it will not cost more, and to convince people like yourself that we can do all these things without any negative consequences, is outrageous.

Return to Top
#1222301 - 07/24/09 06:38 PM Re: Health Care HappyGilmore
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
as opposed to creating government healthcare that will put all the insurance companies out of business and ending with all the insurance employees unemployed??? end result is the same.

again I ask...why will we need to fund this with tax increases (or reductions in tax deductions) of $1.5 trillion if everyone will be paying? Something here is not adding up...

Because that many more people will be getting medical services. What has been seen in other countries, and in Mass., is when people have insurance, they use medical services that they may foregone if they had to pay for it themselves.

That is why it is critical insureds have some skin in the game. Small co-pays do not provide any insentive for the insured to shop for cheaper services or to forego services for minor ailments.

Return to Top
#1222449 - 07/24/09 08:11 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
[quote=Becka Marr]
Reallocating subsidies to Medicare & Medicaid - money we're already paying, but not benefiting from. Who's the 'we' that isn't benefitting? My mom who just had knee replacement that Medicare paid for? My autistic niece who gets some government $$? The anchor baby children of my former sil who get all their medical needs met for free? YOU may not be benefitting but you're not suppossed to be. You're banking money into Medicare against the day when you'll need it. And just like a bank uses your savings account to fund loans, the government uses your Medicare money to pay my mother's surgery bills.

I have no idea what this "huge tax increase" is that you keep referring to - the suggestion to limit deductions for the wealthiest Americans certainly doesn't affect people like you and me. As far as needing the additional revenue, I can only imagine there would be some intention to expand existing services in order to improve quality. But really, who knows...
I think everyone else has addressed this fact already. Logic dictates taxes will go up...and various members of Congress have agreed that it will as well.

We're back to the need for people to have JOBS before they can deal with health insurance. How about putting health care on the back burner and letting smarter heads than ours have time to come up with a realistic health plan that is affordable for us as taxpayers now and 10 years from now. Focus on fixing the economy and getting the unemployment numbers down before you forge ahead with higher taxes for something that large numbers of Americans have voiced disapproval of. Sorry, you lost me - you want them to put health care on the back burner and also come up with a plan? confused The 'back burner' concept means that people will keep working on cooking up a solution but it's not on the front burner where they have to watch it every moment and keep it at a full boil. Translated that means, yes, the Finance Committe should work with the Health Department and the INsurance industry to hammer out revisions to what already exists. This isn't anything that's going to happen in August, September or even this year. It's simply too complicated. However, a lot can be done to slow up and reverse job loss. THAT is what BO should be focusing on now. If people have jobs they have money and we can go back to your "assumption that health insurance is something people want and would be willing to pay for if they could"

Return to Top
#1222456 - 07/24/09 08:16 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I'm sorry, I just don't see where anyone has said that uninsured people are going to get it for free. You do realize that the reason the vast majority of these uninsured people are uninsured is because they're unemployed or cannot afford insurance. Yes.

You know, I used to believe this, until the company I have worked for for over a decade and had EXCELLENT insurance just decided to cancel our group policy and leave us to all get individual insurance, not seeming to care that someone with rheumetoid arthritis cannot purchase individual insurance in our fine nation....

Return to Top
#1222502 - 07/24/09 08:38 PM Re: Health Care B_F
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
my sister in law has rheumetoid arthritis and has no issues getting insurance on her own...try blue cross/blue shield

Return to Top
#1222504 - 07/24/09 08:39 PM Re: Health Care B_F
A_G Offline
10K Club
::places call to WHA-mbulance::

Return to Top
#1222511 - 07/24/09 08:43 PM Re: Health Care Truffle Royale
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Who's the 'we' that isn't benefitting?

There are plenty of people pouring their money into health insurance (or work for employers who provide coverage) only to discover that it won't help them when they need it. My grandmother had insurance, but for one reason or another it didn't cover the in-home care she needed, so my aunt wound up paying out of pocket. I'm sure stuff like that happens all the time - people wind up in situations that either aren't covered at all, or only covered to a certain amount, so they're left to pay the bill or go bankrupt (which my grandmother certainly would've without my aunt's help).

If people have jobs they have money and we can go back to your "assumption that health insurance is something people want and would be willing to pay for if they could"

My first year or two out of college I didn't have health insurance. I was working - I went through several different jobs, none of which either provided me with insurance benefits or paid me enough to afford my own. So, I didn't go to the doctor unless it was ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY (like needing oral surgery to remove an impacted wisdom tooth) because I knew I would have to pay out of pocket. I might also add that my dad is self-employed. He's been the sole proprietor of his own business since I was in high school - works very hard, and has done very well. But he still depends on my mother's employment for health benefits.

Return to Top
#1222514 - 07/24/09 08:47 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Who's the 'we' that isn't benefitting?

There are plenty of people pouring their money into health insurance (or work for employers who provide coverage) only to discover that it won't help them when they need it. My grandmother had insurance, but for one reason or another it didn't cover the in-home care she needed, so my aunt wound up paying out of pocket. I'm sure stuff like that happens all the time - people wind up in situations that either aren't covered at all, or only covered to a certain amount, so they're left to pay the bill or go bankrupt.

If people have jobs they have money and we can go back to your "assumption that health insurance is something people want and would be willing to pay for if they could"

My first year or two out of college I didn't have health insurance. I was working - I went through several different jobs, none of which either provided me with insurance benefits or paid me enough to afford my own. So, I didn't go to the doctor unless it was ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY (like needing oral surgery to remove an impacted wisdom tooth) because I knew I would have to pay out of pocket. I might also add that my dad is self-employed. He's been the sole proprietor of his own business since I was in high school - works very hard, and has done very well. But he still depends on my mother's employment for health benefits.

Bingo. It's amazing how when it is your own money (not you personally, you generally), you are more judicious in how it is spent. That is why the current plan increases costs 1.5 trillion dollars and why current health care costs increase on average 7% per year.

Return to Top
#1222530 - 07/24/09 09:08 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Becka, you do realize you're arguing my case, don't you? Medicare needs to be revamped. I do agree that people should have to pay as much as possible before Medicare steps in. The loopholes that some people crawl through while leaving your grandmother needing her daughter's help are what need to be closed.

Revamp Medicare and Medicaid. Get insurance companies to provide realistically priced policies for self-employed people like your dad.

Universal Health might make life easier for your dad but, as I understand it, all your aunt's money would not have been able to by your grandmother care becasue the managers would deny her due to age.

Return to Top
#1222531 - 07/24/09 09:09 PM Re: Health Care straw
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: straw
It's amazing how when it is your own money (not you personally, you generally), you are more judicious in how it is spent.

Personally, I was lucky to be young enough and my body healthy enough so that it wasn't a big deal to forego check-ups and preventive care. The older we get, the less true that becomes; and I know several others have touched on the very important point that many people simply do not take care of themselves (smoking, poor exercise and/or dietary habits, etc.) in order to prevent the need for frequent visits to the doctor. And having reasonably good habits is still no guarantee that you won't wind up in the ER with some horrible virus...crazy

Return to Top
#1222534 - 07/24/09 09:12 PM Re: Health Care Truffle Royale
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
The loopholes that some people crawl through while leaving your grandmother needing her daughter's help are what need to be closed.

Get insurance companies to provide realistically priced policies for self-employed people like your dad.

TR, you do realize Obama is attempting to accomplish these things, don't you? smile

Return to Top
#1222550 - 07/24/09 09:26 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
The loopholes that some people crawl through while leaving your grandmother needing her daughter's help are what need to be closed.

Get insurance companies to provide realistically priced policies for self-employed people like your dad.

TR, you do realize Obama is attempting to accomplish these things, don't you? smile

Bwahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........dang, almost spit my soda through my nose....

Return to Top
#1222590 - 07/24/09 10:15 PM Re: Health Care Becka Marr
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Wait. Where did I miss him saying that, Becka? I know I listened to the speech on Wednesday. And I've read tons on this too. Nowhere do I recall seeing anything about reform of insurance companies as part of Universal Health Care.

All I've heard and read says BO wants to set up an ALTERNATIVE to current insurance. That's the whole thing of being able to keep your current insurance or go to the government's.

Seriously, Becka. He's not interested in reforming. His plan will eventually do away with private insurance, just like Canada. You do realize that Canadians come here to get the health care they cannot get under their universal plan.

Return to Top
#1222593 - 07/24/09 10:21 PM Re: Health Care HappyGilmore
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
my sister in law has rheumetoid arthritis and has no issues getting insurance on her own...try blue cross/blue shield

I did. I was denied outright.

Return to Top
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6