#1222515 - 07/24/09 08:47 PM Re: Stupid Police! QCL
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Originally Posted By: QueenChop'dLiver
CNN again:
[i][snip]
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Obama said Friday he spoke with the police officer who arrested a Harvard professor and told the officer he did not mean to malign the Cambridge Police Department when he said police acted stupidly.

So "acted stupidly" = a poorly calibrated compliment. Got it. wink

Return to Top
#1222519 - 07/24/09 08:52 PM Re: Stupid Police! Bobby Boucher
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
So did the President speak "stupidly"? Oh yes he did.

Return to Top
#1222520 - 07/24/09 08:52 PM Re: Stupid Police! Bobby Boucher
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
The arrest report painted quite a different picture than Mr. Gates had been portraying.

Return to Top
#1222526 - 07/24/09 09:02 PM Re: Stupid Police! QCL
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
blocked!

Return to Top
#1222579 - 07/24/09 09:59 PM Re: Stupid Police! QCL
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
It's interesting to note from the incident report that, once Prof. Gates was handcuffed, no action was taken to verify that the residence was 'clear' or free of intruders. The only discussion was who would lock or secure the door.

Return to Top
#1222600 - 07/24/09 10:43 PM Re: Stupid Police! Hrothgar Geiger
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Did you miss (or just ignore) the part before that in the report where it then said:

"Gates told me that the door was unsecurable due to a previous break attempt at the residence."

I find it interesting that you found the above interesting but did not find this so.

Return to Top
#1222613 - 07/24/09 10:58 PM Re: Stupid Police! QCL
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
I wonder when the last break-in was attempted? Unless I missed it, did Gates ever state he was home alone? Sorry, but I had trouble deciphering some of the text on this monitor.

Either way, I think this is getting blown way out of proportion.

Return to Top
#1222618 - 07/24/09 11:01 PM Re: Stupid Police! Bacon Boy
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
I can see how some on the left think this is getting blown out of proportion, just as others thought some of Bush's gaffes were blown out of proportion, but they'll never admit that what was sauce for the goose is now sauce for the gander -
If folks can't take the beating Obama is taking, then they should rethink the beating they give the guy they don't support.

Return to Top
#1222626 - 07/25/09 12:36 AM Re: Stupid Police! QCL
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: QueenChop'dLiver
Did you miss (or just ignore) the part before that in the report where it then said:

"Gates told me that the door was unsecurable due to a previous break attempt at the residence."

No, ma'am I did not miss that statement. It is irrelevant, though, to the volume of posts in this thread asserting the officer's desire and responsibility to clear the residence for the safety of Prof. Gates. From the incident report, apart from asking Mr. Gates if there was anyone else in the house, there was no effort described to actually do so, even once the homeowner was restrained.

But I'm glad you found it interesting.

Return to Top
#1222646 - 07/25/09 02:01 PM Re: Stupid Police! Hrothgar Geiger
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
At an impromptu appearance at the daily White House briefing, Obama said he spoke with Crowley over the phone, and said he wanted to share a beer with Crowley and Gates at the White House.

"Because this has been ratcheting up and I helped contribute to ratcheting it up, I want to make clear that in my choice of words I unfortunately gave an impression that I was maligning the Cambridge Police Department or Sgt. Crowley specifically and I could have calibrated those words differently."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this is as close as an apology one can expect from the One...

Return to Top
#1222648 - 07/25/09 02:31 PM Re: Stupid Police! Pale Rider
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Do you think they'll be drinking a Shiner?

Obama overstepped and should come out and say "I'm sorry" to the entire police department. I've had to eat crow before and it takes a stronger person to admit you messed up--and that's what needs to happen here.

Return to Top
#1222680 - 07/26/09 07:30 PM Re: Stupid Police! Bacon Boy
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I thought this was a very interesting article on the subject:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jNB2UIYUUjAgKgBwiQ44eO6TDJEQD99MACLG0

Essentially it analyzes the event from the respective perspectives of Crowley and Gates.

I'll probably risk being eviscerated for posting this, but here are a few items from my perspective:

I've have gone to lunch with white male colleagues and also with black male colleagues - same restaurants - vastly different levels of service. With white male colleagues, the service was prompt, courteous and efficient. With black male colleagues, the service was poor, rude and slow. I am not talking about an isolated incident, this was a consistent pattern. After several different visits with the same results, I no longer go to those restaurants.

The same media talking heads that seem to be whipping up a fervor about Obama taking away guns and installing a police state don't seem to see an issue when police arrest a man who has entered his own home.

Suppose authorities question a man in his home after neighbors complain about large gatherings held at the home because the cars are blocking the street and their own cars are being hit by guests at the gatherings. Would that be considered outrageous? (Bonus points to anyone who can recall what that was about.)

Return to Top
#1222690 - 07/27/09 07:27 AM Re: Stupid Police! Princess Romeo
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Now why couldn't this officer have been the one to show up at Gates house?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRRTlrfTw0s

(Notice - no arrest was made even though the driver is angry, abusive and perhaps a bit crazy)

Return to Top
#1222699 - 07/27/09 12:30 PM Re: Stupid Police! Hrothgar Geiger
HappyGilmore Online
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Hrothgar Gieger
It's interesting to note from the incident report that, once Prof. Gates was handcuffed, no action was taken to verify that the residence was 'clear' or free of intruders. The only discussion was who would lock or secure the door.

it's also interesting to note that they don't mention giving Mr. Gate's his cane to allow him to keep from falling, and they also don't mention that he was transported to the police station, but both of those events occured as well.

Return to Top
#1222702 - 07/27/09 12:41 PM Re: Stupid Police! HappyGilmore
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
and they initially cuffed his hands behind his back per procedure, but then recuffed him in the front.

Return to Top
#1222704 - 07/27/09 12:46 PM Re: Stupid Police! HappyGilmore
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: future mrdeekles

it's also interesting to note that they don't mention giving Mr. Gate's his cane to allow him to keep from falling, and they also don't mention that he was transported to the police station, but both of those events occured as well.

Actually, the incident report does mention that. Not that I expect you to have actually, you know, read it.

Return to Top
#1222705 - 07/27/09 12:46 PM Re: Stupid Police! Princess Romeo
waldensouth Online
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Bonnie, I don't think that anyone is saying that racist, sexist, any other "ist" incidences never occur in our country. That would be foolish. From all statements made by the police commissioner (black) and the mayor (black) - the officer in question was following standard procedure for their department. To my way of thinking - perhaps it would be better to focus on the procedure and whether or not it needs to be continued than to constantly focus on the officer and the other elements of this case. They apparently need to rethink some of their policies and procedures. I believe that the city has appointed a commission to review that practice.

Every unpleasant incident that occurs in our country is NOT related to race - although we seem to hear it a lot.
Last edited by waldensouth; 07/27/09 12:49 PM.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1222710 - 07/27/09 12:55 PM Re: Stupid Police! waldensouth
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Even the Governor of Mass, Deval Patrick threw gas on the fire, saying this event was "every black mans nightmare". Unbelievable.

Return to Top
#1222713 - 07/27/09 01:03 PM Re: Stupid Police! Hrothgar Geiger
HappyGilmore Online
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: future mrdeekles

Actually, the incident report does mention that. Not that I expect you to have actually, you know, read it.

actually, it reports that a cane was secured for Mr. Gates, but not that it was given to him...not that I expect you to read it or anything...

but then again, you're right, all cops are race-baiters...and eagerly await the opportunity to give it to the black man
Last edited by future mrdeekles; 07/27/09 01:04 PM.

Return to Top
#1222714 - 07/27/09 01:04 PM Re: Stupid Police! Princess Romeo
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Originally Posted By: Bonnie QoR
Now why couldn't this officer have been the one to show up at Gates house?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRRTlrfTw0s

(Notice - no arrest was made even though the driver is angry, abusive and perhaps a bit crazy)

Yeah, but this officer is obviously on drugs. No one is that calm. wink

Return to Top
#1222715 - 07/27/09 01:05 PM Re: Stupid Police! The OG Zaibatsu
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Quote:
Gates told the Boston Globe in an e-mail late Friday that he spoke to Obama and said he would meet with Cambridge Police Sgt. James Crowley. Gates said he hoped his arrest by Crowley leads to greater sensitivity on racial profiling and that it was time to "move on."

Gates' arrest surely is bringing greater sensitivity on racial profiling. After Professor Gates cried wolf, I will now be even more sensitive to those who are being accused of racial profiling, and I will be more suspicious of those saying they were the victims of racial profiling. I hope he is happy.

Return to Top
#1222719 - 07/27/09 01:11 PM Re: Stupid Police! The OG Zaibatsu
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
they reported on NBC this morning that the 3 (Obama, Gates and Crowley) were entertaining the idea of meeting at a bar for a drink to "bury the hatchet"

i smell a joke:

"so a President, a police sgt and a professor walk into into a bar...."

Return to Top
#1222720 - 07/27/09 01:13 PM Re: Stupid Police! The OG Zaibatsu
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
My outlaw, who is Candian, tells a fine off-color joke about how they ended up with the french, and we did not.

Return to Top
#1225055 - 07/30/09 06:01 PM Re: Stupid Police! #Just Jay
Blessed Offline
Diamond Poster
Blessed
USA
You all will be happy to know that the Beer of choice for the summit is Bud Light..

Return to Top
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5