Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1219190 - 07/20/09 03:47 PM mandatory escrow under HPML
Ski Offline
Platinum Poster
South Louisiana
One of our LO's was attempting to explain about the mandatory escrow for HPML loans to a customer. The customer's loan will be a HPML loan subject to escrow on/after 4/1/2010.

Customer stated that he would rather just pay us the amounts that we would have to escrow for at the time the loan is refinanced. LO did not know how to respond to this.

I think that the proper response would be "Unfortunately, the Bank will still have to escrow in the usual manner for at least the first year, since the revised regulation requires this.".

Any thoughts?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1219208 - 07/20/09 04:21 PM Re: mandatory escrow under HPML Ski
MadMax Offline
MadMax
Cleveland, OH
Escrow for HPMLs only applies to applications taken on or after 4/1/2010. The escrow requirements are not retroactive for loans made before the effective date.

Return to Top
#1219225 - 07/20/09 04:36 PM Re: mandatory escrow under HPML MadMax
Ski Offline
Platinum Poster
South Louisiana
Thank you.

As I clearly stated, this customer's loan will be an HPML covered loan when it refinances on/after 4/1/2010. When this occurs, this customer is stating that he wants to simply pay us the amounts which would be subject to escrow instead of having us calculate the additional amounts that he would be required to pay in addition to the P & I payments when he refinances his loan on/after 4/1/2010.

Return to Top
#1219239 - 07/20/09 04:45 PM Re: mandatory escrow under HPML Ski
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
If it is a HPML, you MUST escrow. Not an option. There are very strict escrow rules under RESPA. I'm not understanding what your customer wants. If he was to pay you the additional amount, isn't that the same as escrowing?

Return to Top
#1219385 - 07/20/09 07:44 PM Re: mandatory escrow under HPML Ski
MadMax Offline
MadMax
Cleveland, OH
I am not sure I understand the situation. If the loan has already been made (or will be made in the very near future), the HPML requirements do not apply, since the application date is obviously before 4/1/2010.

If the customer plans to refinance the loan on or after 4/1/2010, you will need to make the HPML determination based upon the APOR rate that applies to the loan at the time the rate is set on the new application. It may turn out that the new loan is not an HPML.

However, as was pointed out in the previous post, if an HPML is made (with an application date on or after 4/1/2010), there is no option, either on the part of the customer or the lender, to not escrow.

Return to Top
#1219398 - 07/20/09 07:52 PM Re: mandatory escrow under HPML David Dickinson
Ski Offline
Platinum Poster
South Louisiana
David, thanks for your response.

I also don't know what the customer is getting at. I think he may just be contrary or possibly did not like the idea of the Bank telling him that he was going to have to pay amounts over and above P & I monthly so that his taxes and hazard insurance could be paid by the Bank at a later date.

I think that there is going to be a long "learning curve" for some customers just as there will be for some bankers.

Return to Top
#1219447 - 07/20/09 08:41 PM Re: mandatory escrow under HPML Ski
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Originally Posted By: Ski
I think that there is going to be a long "learning curve" for some customers just as there will be for some bankers.

You are so right! Tell them to write the Representatives.

Return to Top
#1223151 - 07/28/09 01:05 PM Re: mandatory escrow under HPML David Dickinson
agent99 Offline
100 Club
Is escrow required for both tax and insurance or can a bank just escrow for taxes? I'm not clear on that. Oh, I see that escrow is for property tax and mortgage related insurance premiums required by the lender.
Last edited by agent99; 07/28/09 01:08 PM.
Return to Top
#1223163 - 07/28/09 01:17 PM Re: mandatory escrow under HPML agent99
Ski Offline
Platinum Poster
South Louisiana
My understanding is that we MUST escrow for City & County property taxes along with hazard and, if applicable, flood insurance. No "if's, and's or but's".

Hope this helps.

Return to Top
#1223499 - 07/28/09 06:02 PM Re: mandatory escrow under HPML Ski
Wore Out Offline
Platinum Poster
Wore Out
Kentucky
I'm too confused on the escrow requirment. At this time, we are only escrowing with regard to property taxes. The section 35 requirement is a little unclear:

(3) Escrows--(i) Failure to escrow for property taxes and insurance. Except as provided in paragraph (b)(3)(ii) of this section, a creditor may not extend a loan secured by a first lien on a principal dwelling unless an escrow account is established before consummation for payment of property taxes and premiums for mortgage-related insurance required by the creditor, such as insurance against loss of or damage to property, or against liability arising out of the ownership or use of the property, or insurance protecting the creditor against the consumer's default or other credit loss.

When it says "premiums for mortgage related insurance....such as insurance against loss of or damage to property"...is that meaning home owners insurance? Does this also cover PMI IF we required it? If this does mean home owners insurance...then can someone tell me plainly where to find it in the official commentary or rules?

Return to Top
#1223534 - 07/28/09 06:31 PM Re: mandatory escrow under HPML Wore Out
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:
, such as insurance against loss of or damage to property, or against liability arising out of the ownership or use of the property,

That is homeowner's insurance.

Quote:
or insurance protecting the creditor against the consumer's default or other credit loss.

That is PMI.

Return to Top
#1223545 - 07/28/09 06:39 PM Re: mandatory escrow under HPML Dan Persfull
Wore Out Offline
Platinum Poster
Wore Out
Kentucky
Thanks Dan.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z