BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1223820 - 07/29/09 12:54 PM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL B_F
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I grew up in state that had legal dog fights for years, as well as rooster fights. Many other states had this as well, and it was part of many peoples lives, like it or not. I have to agree with J-man that many people seem more upset about Vick re-entering society than they do the horrible attrocities commited on humans by humans - and I'm not just talking about people on BOL. News shows, newspaper columns, blogs, etc. go on and on about this. But the great thing about America is that he paid his debt to society and he is free to pursue life, just as people are free to criticize him. If he was Joe Schmoe from Paducah, he probably would not have even seen jail time, much less made any news other than the local paper. It's time to let it go people, time to move on...

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1223846 - 07/29/09 01:18 PM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL HappyGilmore
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
I don't see what the big deal is. I'm sure the Commissioner will have him on a short leash!

Return to Top
#1223856 - 07/29/09 01:23 PM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL B_F
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By: B_F
My bet is that the commish talked to teams about who might sign him, discovered noone would, and reinstated him to teach him a lesson. He has no career in the NFL. Any team foolish enough to sign him will LOSE money, not make it. There are enough people out there who will boycott the franchise to sign him to make a dent in their profits.

IMHO, you are way off here. Someone will sign him, and the stadium will be filled 16 times. There will be those that boycott, but whether right or wrong, they will sell tickets, hot dogs and shirts.

Return to Top
#1223868 - 07/29/09 01:35 PM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL TB 12
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
The six game suspension is actually a bigger deterrant than you may think. I team would have to play short-handed for six games, as they would have to hold that spot open. In a sport like the NFL where they use virtually the entire roster every week and there is the threat of injury on every snap, teams would be hesitant to play short-handed. And if someone waits until after week 6 to sign him, he will have had no training camp or practice time.

Did someone on here actually say soccer fans are intelligent and soccer players are smart??? Don't these idiots riot weekly, use racial taunts regularly, and threaten death to players that have bad games? And every poor, un-educated, illiterate country in the world plays soccer. You only need to know two things to play soccer, kick the ball that way, and fall down writhing in pain as though you've been shot if someone so much as brushes against you.
Last edited by DSchrute; 07/29/09 01:36 PM.
Return to Top
#1223873 - 07/29/09 01:37 PM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL Bankster
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: DSchrute
The six game suspension is actually a bigger deterrant than you may think. I team would have to play short-handed for six games, as they would have to hold that spot open. In a sport like the NFL where they use virtually the entire roster every week and there is the threat of injury on every snap, teams would be hesitant to play short-handed. And if someone waits until after week 6 to sign him, he will have had no training camp or practice time.

Did someone on here actually say soccer fans are intelligent and soccer players are smart??? Don't these idiots riot weekly, use racial taunts regularly, and threaten death to players that have bad games? And every poor, un-educated, illiterate country in the world plays soccer. You only need to know two things to play soccer, kick the ball that way, and fall down writhing in pain as though you've been shot if someone so much as brushes against you.

don't bring college football in to this...

Return to Top
#1224131 - 07/29/09 05:15 PM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL B_F
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
Here's a thought. Why is it that this nut can be re-instated but Pete Rose can't be in the stinking Hall of Fame? confused

Return to Top
#1224164 - 07/29/09 05:56 PM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL Mrs. Rizzo
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
because he lied about betting on the sport he played and coached for, which is a huge no-no. If he would have 'fessed up from teh get go, he'd already be in...

of course, one has no bearing on the other...

Return to Top
#1224200 - 07/29/09 06:34 PM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL HappyGilmore
swjw519 Offline
swjw519
kentucky
i am right there with you Rizzo! i understand what that betting on baseball is the cardinal sin, but he did it when he was a manager. i know that doesn't make it any better but the Hall of Fame is for individuals who excelled at the sport and he did just that. he was a great baseball player. it's not the moral police. there are people in there who have had addictions and gambling is considered one. ty cobb even killed someone. it is such a tough thing because i definitely see both sides but i wish they would just let him in.

Return to Top
#1224201 - 07/29/09 06:36 PM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL swjw519
A_G Offline
10K Club
So do you think it's okay for OJ to be in the Hall of Fame as well?

Return to Top
#1224204 - 07/29/09 06:38 PM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL A_G
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
The difference with Rose is that he bet on the team he was managing...It wasn't like he was at the track. His managing could effect the outcome.

Return to Top
#1224207 - 07/29/09 06:45 PM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL TB 12
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Sox, did Rose bet for or against his team? I imagine he bet for his team because I don't know who would take a bet from a manager betting on losing. I don't see how that could affect the outcome since he is playing and betting to win, unless he was betting specifics or betting a spread.

Return to Top
#1224208 - 07/29/09 06:45 PM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL A_G
swjw519 Offline
swjw519
kentucky
nah, murder is a bit different. i am just saying that ty cobb IS in the hall of fame and he DID kill someone. Pete bet on baseball, didn't slice up his ex wife and her boyfriend.

Return to Top
#1224217 - 07/29/09 06:53 PM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL swjw519
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
GD:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2798498

He claims he bet on them to win, but I think the main reason he has been banned is that he denied he bet on his team for 15 yrs. As others have said, if he had fessed up at the time, he'd probably be in by now.

Return to Top
#1224244 - 07/29/09 07:11 PM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL TB 12
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
come on guys, it's feaking baseball, the only sport that is more boring than golf to watch on TV...

Return to Top
#1224250 - 07/29/09 07:14 PM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL HappyGilmore
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Who did Ty Cobb kill?

Return to Top
#1224304 - 07/29/09 08:10 PM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL MB Guy
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
wiki wiki wiki says that Cobb's mother killed her husband, Cobb's father, but has no mention of Cobb killing anyone. it does mention numerous fights and that he even stabbed someone, but that teh man survived and it was settled out of court.

Return to Top
#1224398 - 07/29/09 10:05 PM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL FBH
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Originally Posted By: FBH
Originally Posted By: ButterOps
blahblahblahBLAH.

MY problem with this whole scenario is that people who sell meth to kids get less prison time (at least in my neck of the woods) than folks who dog fight.

Vick doesn't owe us an apology, anyways.

And yeah.. soccer blows.

At least the meth buyer can make a choice to buy or not. Animals can't. I think you can tell a lot about a person's character in how they interact with animals. Vick's done his time, and I'm satisfied with the justice aspect of it...but I still don't have to like him.

This is why I specified kids. While they do choose to buy it, depending on the kid, he or she may not understand the consequences. It's my opinion that drug dealers who sell to kids should be penalized more harshly than dogfighters. Now my opinion on drugs being illegal.. that's for a whole new thread. grin

Return to Top
#1224399 - 07/29/09 10:07 PM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL Ops
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
So, you're saying double standards are world wide? Not just on BOL? whistle wink

Return to Top
#1224483 - 07/30/09 03:28 AM Re: Vick cleared to re-enter NFL Mrs. Rizzo
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Zorn said no to Vick todays. ::saying prayers of gratitude right now::

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3