Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1224721 - 07/30/09 02:44 PM Weird or creepy stuff?
buggs Offline
Power Poster
What is the weirdest or creepiest thing you've encountered while on the job with a bank?

I'll start...

Several years ago I was involved with a flood insurance review of a loan portfolio. I was reviewing a file for a loan to a funeral home. I always enjoy looking at real estate appraisal reports, so I began purusing this one. I got to the photos section and saw the usual stuff. Pictures of the outside of the building, pictures of the offices inside the building. But then I see a photo of the embalming room and there is body on a table covered by a sheet with the feet sticking out. I couldn't beieve that the appraiser actually took the photo, much less put in the report.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1224729 - 07/30/09 02:46 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? buggs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
What is the weirdest or creepiest thing you've encountered while on the job with a bank?

I'd have to say this thread... wink

Return to Top
#1224731 - 07/30/09 02:48 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? HappyGilmore
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Fingle's avi! eek

Return to Top
#1224732 - 07/30/09 02:48 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? HappyGilmore
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Patty eek

Return to Top
#1224745 - 07/30/09 03:04 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? 'Lil Freak!
Buccs Offline
Power Poster
Ohio
Back when I was an Assistant Branch manager (aka glorified teller who gets all of the problem customers) I had a guy dispute a debit card charge. The charge had been levied against his account not more than an hour before he got into the bank.

At that bank, the charges showed up realtime, so much so that if I ordered something online it was on the account within a minute of my recieving the confirmation.

The man was sweating, looked slightly nervous but relaxed. He explained that he logged onto his online banking and saw this charge and didn't recognize it, and wanted to dispute it. I traced it back and got a 1-800 number. While I dialed up the number, I asked the guy where he'd been an hour ago.

"At home, doing some stuff on my computer."

Just then, the line connects.
(read this part in your best sultry female voice)
"Hi, thanks for calling www dot(rhymeswiththorny)vixens dot com*. We hope your visit to our website is pleasureable. Press 1 for account problems, 2 for account disputes, or 3 for a listing of our other websites."

*I can't remember if this was the actual name, but it was very obviously an *ahem* adult site.

I hang up and tell the guy I got disconnected. I don't have the heart to tell him to his face that I'm sorry he regreted paying for the subscription to that site. It took 19.99 out of his account, which only had 23.86 at the time, so it left him just south of four bucks until payday.

I let him write a dispute form, and called the debit card department to explain the situation. I called him the next day and he seemed to know that I knew. He was in a hurry to get off the phone.

Return to Top
#1224768 - 07/30/09 03:14 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? Buccs
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
This actually happened to my coworker (because I can't think of anything in my career that would constitute weird or creepy at the moment):

A non-customer entered her branch and requested to use the bathroom. Since the facilities were behind the BRG teller line, he was denied access. He disputed this, feeling that banks should have an open bathroom door policy apparently, but after a while left the bank. He used the ashtray in front as a toilet! Right out in sight of everyone. Well, Dani called the police who arrived after the guy left and the cleaning crew was put on alert about the bio-hazard. Gross!

Return to Top
#1224789 - 07/30/09 03:28 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? Bacon Boy
Miss Chee Offline
Platinum Poster
Miss Chee
Very similar...

Found a "deposit" in the night drop.

Return to Top
#1224796 - 07/30/09 03:34 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? Miss Chee
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Panty hose in the trash can of the room the examiners were using while doing a safety and soundness exam.

Return to Top
#1224800 - 07/30/09 03:36 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? Miss Chee
A_G Offline
10K Club
A lady that drove through the drive thru topless! eek

Return to Top
#1224802 - 07/30/09 03:38 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? A_G
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
A lady giving a guy oral pleasures (Green Tea, don't freak) in one of our remote drive through lanes... I am guessing the didn't realize the cameras worked both ways.

Return to Top
#1224806 - 07/30/09 03:39 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? #Just Jay
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
we're supposed to be talking about "weird and creepy" stuff

Return to Top
#1224808 - 07/30/09 03:39 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? Miss Chee
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
OK, I have several in this same vein. Found the rather huge "deposit" on the floor in front of the ATM in our vestibule as we were locking up for the evening. Obviously I had to remove this before anyone else tracked it around everywhere.

Once had a customer that was being assisted at the teller line. The person accompanying the customer backed up a foot, slightly squatted and "made water" right on the floor of the lobby.

As a CSR, I was assisting two customers who were sitting in the chairs in front of my desk. One, an elderly customer, looked right at me, then swiveled slightly in the chair for a few moments with a strange look on her face, and then swiveled back. I asked if she needed any assistance but she shook her head no. We continued the transaction, they got up and left and there was a huge brown stain on the chair.

We've had our share of "creepy" customers as well. Such as the guy who will only whisper to you because he is extremely paranoid. He also keeps changes of clothes in the Safe Deposit box and goes down to change clothes periodically.

Unfortunately I could go on and on... eek

Return to Top
#1224814 - 07/30/09 03:40 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? Mocha's Mom
A_G Offline
10K Club
Mocha those are both hilarious and creepy! eek

Return to Top
#1224817 - 07/30/09 03:41 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? A_G
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
A brick of pot on the seat of the car next to the driver at the drive up window.

Return to Top
#1224825 - 07/30/09 03:44 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? Snow Bunny
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
<----- is "missin' out" by having never worked at a branch!

Return to Top
#1224829 - 07/30/09 03:45 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? A_G
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
Originally Posted By: A G
Mocha those are both hilarious and creepy! eek

An even creepier part of the first one was when my staff member nominated me for going "Above and Beyond" for dealing with the mess and the nomination was read out loud to a large gathering. It was rather embarassing that that was the reason I was nominated. Not what I would like inscribed on the plaque or read at the award ceremony. eek

Return to Top
#1224832 - 07/30/09 03:46 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? A_G
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Once had an older gentleman fall asleep on the sofa in the lobby. He was wearing shorts and kinda of slouched backwards, causing his shorts to ride up and reveal his…uh…participle. The female employees were all abuzz about the flasher in the lobby. They got Diana to go over and wake up the poor guy.

Return to Top
#1224834 - 07/30/09 03:48 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? Snow Bunny
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Back in my CSR days, the alcoholic customer who pulled down her pants at my desk to prove she was a "real" redhead.

Return to Top
#1224837 - 07/30/09 03:48 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? RebekahL CRCM
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
laugh

Wait, how does that prove anything? confused

Return to Top
#1224843 - 07/30/09 03:51 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? #Just Jay
A_G Offline
10K Club
we had a really old customer go into the safe deposit box room one time and he was in there for more than two hours.

we thought he might have died.

Return to Top
#1224847 - 07/30/09 03:53 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? RebekahL CRCM
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Originally Posted By: RebekahL CRCM
Back in my CSR days, the alcoholic customer who pulled down her pants at my desk to prove she was a "real" redhead.

shocked

and what did you do????

Return to Top
#1224855 - 07/30/09 04:00 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? Miscuit
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Had a cross-dresser at one new account station, and the 'lady of the evening' at the one next to him - our LOE told me after 'he' left that someone needed to tell him how to match his nail polish to his accessories - Can't tell you how that cracked me up - only on a college campus in IL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*** I"m sure folks at this company would have found this weird ****

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32211539/?GT1=43001
Last edited by R Banker; 07/30/09 04:04 PM. Reason: Add link

Return to Top
#1224872 - 07/30/09 04:08 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? A_G
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
Originally Posted By: A G
we had a really old customer go into the safe deposit box room one time and he was in there for more than two hours.

we thought he might have died.

As a Branch Manager my office was right outside the Safe Deposit area. We had this little old lady who went to her box several times a week. Each time she went into the viewing cubicle, five minutes later I would hear her snoring very loudly. She would stay in there for a couple of hours at a time. It was funny to watch the expressions on the faces of customers that I would wait on when they would hear her snoring. I'd pretend I didn't hear a thing.

Return to Top
#1224878 - 07/30/09 04:12 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? RBanker
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Miscuit may not consider this weird or creepy but is was certainly eye-opening - First bank I worked in - was working as a teller. Walked down the stairs to go to lunch, found a loan officer an his apparent mistress having sex standing up against that cold brick wall! I backed out very slowly & quietly and walked to the lunchroom the other way!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1224917 - 07/30/09 04:33 PM Re: Weird or creepy stuff? waldensouth
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
I don't have any 'bodily function' incidents to share, but one of the strangest collection cases I handled was for a loan co-signed by the parents with their daughter. It was chronically delinquent, and nearing the point of repossession, but the parents were making a huge fuss about how the daughter made the payments and the CU must've just "lost" them. We repeatedly asked the parents to please provide evidence of the payments (copies of cleared checks, etc.) so that we could check our records to see if they had been misapplied. Well, they brought in copies of several checks from the daughter's account at WFB, claiming that these were the missing payments. I looked at the copies and immediately saw that they hadn't been encoded, so there was no way they could've cleared the daughter's account. I got on the phone with an investigator at WFB and confirmed that none of the copies we were given matched their records. We told the parents to go with their daughter and get the information directly from WFB (the daughter had even doctored a letter from a WFB representative; when I called the rep to ask about the it, and faxed her a copy, she called back and said, 'I didn't write that!'). The parents threatened legal action, and didn't back down until one of our VPs sent them a notice from our attorneys. grin
Last edited by Becka Marr; 07/30/09 04:40 PM. Reason: parenthetical

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4