Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#12252 - 02/14/01 07:13 PM Online Banking Access Passwords
Anonymous
Unregistered

Online Banking Access Passwords

Banks typically require customers to have a password to access their accounts through online banking.

Does anyone know of a law or regulation that requires banks to have customers periodically change passwords, or of any guidance on how frequently customers should be encouraged or required to change passwords?

I have heard one suggestion that customers be required to change their passwords every 90 days—this seems to frequent and an unreasonable inconvenience. Can anyone share how it’s done at his or her bank? I really appreciate any help.

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#12253 - 02/14/01 08:11 PM Re: Online Banking Access Passwords
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I know of no requirement, and agree that while it is a good practice, it is not practical.

I recommend urging customers to do this, but not to make it a requirement. It is difficult enough to remember all the passwords we have to now. By adding a revolving requirement we increase the likelihood that the user will put the password on a post-it note and stick it on the monitor or under the mouse pad.

Your password requirement should be somewhat difficult, not the users name, not a common word, etc. With this and the customer having a choice, security should be fine.

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z