Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1225445 - 07/31/09 04:05 AM New GFE
VRV Offline
100 Club
If, during the course of the loan process, the borrower decides he wants a balloon loan, but this will not change the amount of his costs/fees, does the lender need to reissue the GFE changing the answer to the question in the Summary section regarding whether or not the loan has a balloon payment? In other words, if the borrower's fees are not changing, does a new GFE have to be issued just to change the answer to the balloon question?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1225453 - 07/31/09 11:09 AM Re: New GFE VRV
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
3500.7(f)(3) Borrower-requested changes. If a borrower requests changes to the mortgage loan identified in the GFE that change the settlement charges or the terms of the loan, the loan originator may provide a revised GFE to the borrower. If a revised GFE is to be provided, the loan originator must do so within 3 business days of the borrower’s request.

In typical HUD fashion they used the word "may" in a regulation. IMHO - why bother writting regulations that indicate that the a creditor "may" do something.

However, I would bet dollars for donuts that the regulators will read that as "must".

Return to Top
#1225600 - 07/31/09 02:45 PM Re: New GFE VRV
VRV Offline
100 Club
Thanks so much for the reply. That was very helpful. I too have been wondering what the whole "may" thing was about, so I really appreciate your thoughts.

I am desperate for help because I have to provide directions to our Systems people now about how to program for these changes, and I can't figure some of this out. I have put out several questions on here, but haven't received any responses, and I watched the Lending Compliance Triage video, but still didn't get all the answers I need.

I really need help with another aspect of the GFE. We charge an loan fee (origination fee) with our home equity loans but we pay all the third-party costs (appraiser, flood determination, etc.) Because of the loan fee, it's not truly a no-cost loan, so I'm not sure that the instructions for "no-cost" loans apply.

I can find no instructions to use P.O.C. on the GFE, even though you are to use them on the HUD. So I'm thinking that I need to disclose all the third-party fees in the Borrower's column on the GFE and then show a credit for the total of these third-party fees in line 2 at the top of page 2, resulting in a negative number for Adjusted Origination Charges (A). This amount would then be set off against the total fees shown in B. For example, $250 loan fee (line 1), $400 as a credit or negative number (line 2), would leave line A with a negative $150. The total of fees in line B would be $400, which when set off against A (negative $150) would leave Total Estimated Settlement Charges as $250.00. Of course, when you have to disclose insurance premiums in Line 11, it's not going to be this clean, but am I on the right track?

The only other option I can see is simply not to disclose fees on the GFE at all if we are paying them. That would make the form very simple and clean (just show the $250 origination fee in Line 1 and Line A and for Total Estimated Settlement Charges, except for insurance). But if I do that, how do I match it up with the HUD? Do I just put the third party fees on the HUD as P.O.C. Lender, even though they didn't appear on the GFE at all?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z