Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#122601 - 10/15/03 01:00 PM I am being harassed by a creditor!
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
This would be funny if it were happening to someone else! I have received 2 calls in the past week (one of which was late in the evening) from a major automotive finance company. The woman is not looking for me, but wants me to help her locate someone with the same last name. The first time she called I told her I had no clue who that person was, I have honestly never heard of the guy. Yesterday she called and left me a message to call her. Since I also have an account with this company I called to make sure they hadn't lost my payment or something. She told me she needed me to tell her how to get in touch with my "brother". I told her that my only brother passed away 13 years ago and that I do not know this guy. I told her that I work for a bank and I understood her needing to find this guy but I really did not know him. She assured me that she would make a note to not call me again.

This just seems really off the wall for a major finance company to use this type of collection habits. Even though I don't know the guy they are looking for, I know that he has an account with them and that he is delinquent.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#122602 - 10/15/03 01:18 PM Re: I am being harassed by a creditor!
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
I received phone calls in the past actually asking about my brother. They too were creditors and collection agencies. I would not give them the information they were asking for and rather opted to take their information assuring them that I would let him know that they were trying to reach him. I'm glad I did because he had been the victim of identity theft. None of the bills were his and his attorney was promptly notified thus helping to clear him on those accounts.

It is horrible that people call giving out information that is not relevant to the person they are speaking to. In the past I even had a liason officer calling me to remind me of a meeting at juvenile court with my soon to be ex-husband over our child that had been missing school. Needless to say the child and potential ex were not mine but being as it is a small town I found out a lot of information on another family that should never have been released. In this case I notified the school and they contacted the officer in question. I don't believe his services are in use here any longer.

Return to Top
#122603 - 10/15/03 01:34 PM Re: I am being harassed by a creditor!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Could this be a FDCPA issue?

Return to Top
#122604 - 10/15/03 01:36 PM Re: I am being harassed by a creditor!
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
If the collector is working for a company that is not the creditor, then the answer is yes.

Return to Top
#122605 - 10/15/03 05:08 PM Re: I am being harassed by a creditor!
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i have this happen often, since who ever had my phone number before me must have horrid credit. they call at least twice a week... and since i'm a female and it's woman they're looking for they never seem to understand that i am NOT they lady they are looking for... i think these companies live for the fact that most people do not know their rights when it comes to collections...!!! don't even get me started...

Return to Top
#122606 - 10/15/03 09:31 PM Re: I am being harassed by a creditor!
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
I had a similar situation but too a higher level than just bad credit. Years ago I moved to Michigan and I was working a new job so I was barely home. I would work 7am-11pm 7 days a week. Well one night about 30 minutes after I got home there was a knock at my door. This was really weird because the only people I knew in town were my employees and they didn't know where I lived. Anyway I looked out the peep hole and realized it was a state trooper. Now I'm really confused. I opened the door and he asked who I was and how long I lived there and a few other questions. Then he asked if he could come in. I had nothing to hide but my messy apartment so I said sure. Then 8 other police officers hiding around the corner followed him in. I don't know who had the apartment before me but they wanted this person really bad. Freaked me out.

Return to Top
#122607 - 10/15/03 09:41 PM Re: I am being harassed by a creditor!
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

i have this happen often, since who ever had my phone number before me must have horrid credit. they call at least twice a week...

I've had the same problem. I was even getting messages left on my answering machine from an attorney for this person. I never was able to talk to the attorney, only his answering machine, but after I left my fifth message about me not being the person he was looking for and if I heard from him again, I would take the information he had left concerning the account to my attorney and let the two of them discuss the matter. I haven't had a phone call in about 6 months now. (I've also destroyed the information. )

Return to Top
#122608 - 10/15/03 11:15 PM Re: I am being harassed by a creditor!
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I have had someone in my general area with the same last name but no relation use my telephone number and address for credit. After a few calls, I assured them I was no relation to this person, had never met them, and that I did not wish to be bothered at my home any longer. They finally stopped after that little heart to heart. The firm did tell me they were holding an application in their hands with my phone number and address!
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#122609 - 10/16/03 03:32 PM Re: I am being harassed by a creditor!
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
This actaully happened to me once before my current number... i changed my answering machine to say hi you have reached "me", i am not "person x" i have never been "person x" nor do i know who they are or where they live. have a nice day... i think it worked...

Return to Top
#122610 - 10/16/03 06:04 PM Re: I am being harassed by a creditor!
Walleye Woman Offline
Platinum Poster
Walleye Woman
I've had the same problem - messages on the answering machine for a woman with a name not even close to mine. I called one of the companies, who had left a number, and informed them that I was not so-and-so, did not know her and would they please leave me alone. Her reply was that I would be receiving a lot of these calls. Here it is six months later and I still occassionally get one. I'll think I'll try the answering machine trick.

I'd rather be fishing.

Return to Top
#122611 - 10/16/03 07:21 PM Re: I am being harassed by a creditor!
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
My phone number used to belong to a doctor's office at Kaiser Medical. You can only imagine the phone calls I get.

The amazing thing is - my answering machine message was recorded by my daughter at a very young age. You'd think people would realize that a doctor's office wouldn't have a 5 year old answering the phone....but no.

Return to Top
#122612 - 10/16/03 09:26 PM Re: I am being harassed by a creditor!
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
We were gone for over a week and when we returned, there were several messages from one of those satellite dish companies that went like this.

First few wanted to set up installation,
--They were coming in the morning,
--2-3 calls needing someone to meet them at the house,
--3-4 calls needing someone to call them because they could not find the mobile home,

I guess they did get the dish installed while we were gone, but they sure were persistant. BTW, I did call that company to make sure that they understood that the phone number on their records was wrong.

Return to Top
#1970127 - 10/17/14 01:22 PM Re: I am being harassed by a creditor! thomasj
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
did they ever stop calling it has been 11 years

CAMS

Return to Top
#1970133 - 10/17/14 01:45 PM Re: I am being harassed by a creditor! edAudit
Peepers Offline
10K Club
laugh

Return to Top
#1970597 - 10/20/14 07:13 PM Re: I am being harassed by a creditor! thomasj
Beagles22 Offline
Power Poster
State of confusion
You know, until I read this thread I didn't understand why son tells me how my ex-husband keeps changing his home phone number and it is hard for him to remember...this may answer that question!

Return to Top
#1970673 - 10/20/14 09:52 PM Re: I am being harassed by a creditor! thomasj
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Also remember that firms buy charged-off paper for $0.10 on the dollar, and will use every bit of coercion to collect. Anything over $.10 is pure profit. Many times they get kids out of law school, who had practice in moot courts to intimidate people into paying or reconfirming a debt that is well past the statute of limitations.

Return to Top