Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Anyone watch last night?

Return to Top
#1219073 - 07/20/09 01:23 PM Re: Food Network Star Bagweaver
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
Yes, I watched. I'm not surprised that Jamika went home, but I am amazed that they keep giving Deb more and more chances when she shows such a lack of integrity week after week. I am guessing that the fact that no one on the network currently (that I can think of, anyway) has a strong Asian slant to their cooking may have something to do with how she is sticking around. I think Jamika's attitude was her downfall last night. She did not handle the curveballs thrown at her very well.

I am very much rooting for Melissa. Hers is definitely the only show I'd watch of those remaining.

Return to Top
#1219101 - 07/20/09 02:03 PM Re: Food Network Star Hoosierland
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
I agree with everything you said. I liked Jamika, but I think her attitude last night did bring her down.

Melissa would be great for the "normal" cook with a lot going on in their lives.

Return to Top
#1219103 - 07/20/09 02:06 PM Re: Food Network Star Bagweaver
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I was so proud of Melissa last night, particularly when she explained why she, as a working mother who knows how to cook will have instant credibility with other mom's out there.

Frankly, I'm not a mom, but she's got credibility with me, and she's the only one left I'd watch regularly.

Return to Top
#1219105 - 07/20/09 02:06 PM Re: Food Network Star Bagweaver
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I don't like that Deb chick either. She should go.

Return to Top
#1219121 - 07/20/09 02:28 PM Re: Food Network Star Retired DQ
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Reading Bob's blog, he definitely agrees with those of us that think Debbie should leave. I hope Susie & Bobby agree with him soon.

I would probably give Melissa's show a try - and I definitely had no interest in watching Amy's or "Big Daddy"'s shows.

Return to Top
#1219167 - 07/20/09 03:21 PM Re: Food Network Star E.E.G.B
ApacheBelle72 Offline
Platinum Poster
I'm ready for Debbie to go - she just will not tell the truth - I think Bobby Flay see right thru her.

Return to Top
#1219542 - 07/20/09 10:42 PM Re: Food Network Star ApacheBelle72
SunnyT Offline
Diamond Poster
SunnyT
Sandy Beach - Florida
The looks on most of the judges faces show they see thru her, but they let her stay anyway - don't get that.

I agree with most posters, Melissa is the show I'd watch.

Return to Top
#1222703 - 07/27/09 12:44 PM Re: Food Network Star SunnyT
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
Last night's episode was interesting. Honestly, I thought Deb did a better job than Jeffrey at their task. However, the judges (especially Bob--or I think that is the male Food Network exec's name who is on the judging panel) have seemed to really like him from the very beginning. Surely some of Deb's less than shining moments from the past few weeks came into play in the decision last night.

At any rate, I am rooting for Melissa for the win.

Return to Top
#1222707 - 07/27/09 12:50 PM Re: Food Network Star SunnyT
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Who do you think will win, not necessarily who you might want to win . . .
And the winner is . . .
single choice

Votes accepted starting: 07/27/09 12:50 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Return to Top
#1222721 - 07/27/09 01:16 PM Re: Food Network Star Hoosierland
ApacheBelle72 Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By: Hoosierland
Last night's episode was interesting. Honestly, I thought Deb did a better job than Jeffrey at their task. However, the judges (especially Bob--or I think that is the male Food Network exec's name who is on the judging panel) have seemed to really like him from the very beginning. Surely some of Deb's less than shining moments from the past few weeks came into play in the decision last night.

At any rate, I am rooting for Melissa for the win.

I think they took the pass weeks into consideration...she was not truthful. I'm glad it's between Jeffery and Melissa. I will be happy with either one to win.

Return to Top
#1222766 - 07/27/09 02:50 PM Re: Food Network Star ApacheBelle72
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
So do a lot of folks. wink

I am just glad that Deb is gone, I like both of the remaining players.

Return to Top
#1222769 - 07/27/09 02:52 PM Re: Food Network Star Retired DQ
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I really think Melissa is getting the winner's edit. Notice how there were virtually no criticisms of her food from the celeb judges shown (and boy how scary would it have been to cook for THAT table. Except Anne Burrell, who does not impress me in the least and I'm ready for her to go away now.)

Go Melissa!!

Return to Top
#1222807 - 07/27/09 03:33 PM Re: Food Network Star E.E.G.B
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Ditto Gangsta E. I think Melissa sold them with her anagram for the ratatoui (sp?) The final comments she made to the judges table were well thought out and highlighted her strengths...and weaknesses...and sold her.

Jeffrey may have a good presence but his food has been all over the place and a couple of times, a total bomb.

Most importantly, as Rachel Ray has proven, people want to be able to cook what they see without having to buy fancy ingredients or worrying that their family won't eat chipotle. If Melissa continues in the Julia Child tradition which she seems to be doing, I'll watch her show. Bon Apetite! smile

Return to Top
#1222826 - 07/27/09 03:58 PM Re: Food Network Star Truffle Royale
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
One thing I did find interesting is they kept focusing on how much Jeffrey spent on groceries (granted it was pitiful - risotto is a poor choice for that situation) but they never mentioned how much the others spent. I don't believe that Melissa's chicken nor Debbie's shortribs came up to $1000 either. None of them used really expensive ingredients.

On another note, I am glad that Debbie's gone. She really had no integrity at all and loved to play the martyr card. I do think Jeff has the personality - unfortunately he doesn't have the cooking skills consistently. I think Melissa is the best one left...

Return to Top
#1222878 - 07/27/09 05:08 PM Re: Food Network Star Mocha's Mom
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
None of them could have spent the full $1000. In fact, with his mussels and stuff, I would have thought he was one of the higher spenders.

That said, I think the money was part of the challenge. Do you go high end caviar and lobster but not stay true to cooking a three course meal that stays true to you or do you do what Melissa did and cook things like a potatoe tart and an amazing dessert showing good food in your style? She won the top pastry chef in the country's kudos for doing what she really knows how to do and serving it with easy baked chicken. I would have loved that meal! I hope the recipes are online.

Return to Top
#1222882 - 07/27/09 05:18 PM Re: Food Network Star Truffle Royale
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10

Return to Top
#1222884 - 07/27/09 05:22 PM Re: Food Network Star Truffle Royale
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
I agree, TR. I just thought it was funny that they kept focusing on him not spending the $1000. Bobby Flay said he should have bought six lobsters to flavor the seafood risotto so I think they were hoping that they would spend more than they did. I think they showed their culinary point of view better by staying true to them.

I would have loved to had Melissa's meal - I thought it looked and sounded delicious!!

Return to Top
#1222886 - 07/27/09 05:23 PM Re: Food Network Star Retired DQ
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I knew Bobby was going to hit him on that - he's done it in past seaasons before. It was supposed to be a "luxury" meal and while you certainly can make luxurious food without spending a fortune, I knew Bobby wasn't going to like that he spent only a 3rd of the money.

Return to Top
#1222889 - 07/27/09 05:27 PM Re: Food Network Star E.E.G.B
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I don't see Melissa's recipes there. frown Maybe soon?

Return to Top
#1226126 - 08/03/09 12:36 PM Re: Food Network Star Truffle Royale
Hoosierland Offline
Platinum Poster
Way to go, Melissa! I'm happy she was the winner.

I did think they both did pretty well on their "pilots" although I don't think Jeffrey spent enough time (if any?) discussing what his ingredient was. I have no idea, except that it was a red paste and apparently spicy. Where would one purchase it? If it is not available, is there a substitute? That type of info was severely lacking, IMO.

I was actually a little surprised that Melissa pulled out the win. Bob Tuschman has seemed to have a sort of "man crush" on Jeffrey from the very beginning, and the female judge seemed equally enamored of him last night. My guess is they realized who their viewers are, and that more of them could relate to Melissa and her food than to Jeffrey's and his (probably) hard to acquire in many areas of the country ingredients.

Return to Top
#1226133 - 08/03/09 12:52 PM Re: Food Network Star Hoosierland
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
I'm assuming that the pilots were edited way down for the finale show and that he actually would have spent more time describing his ingredient. He sure made me want to know more!

I thought both Jefry and Melissa were way better than any of last year's finalists. I would have been happy to see either win - but would be more likely to watch Jeffrey's show, since I don't have to actually produce meals for a family every day.

Return to Top
#1226180 - 08/03/09 02:07 PM Re: Food Network Star Hoosierland
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
Hoosierland, he mentioned that the paste came from North Africa and he had brought it back on a trip. Which is what the whole premise of his "show" was. Bringing back ingredients from foreign places and encompassing them into typical "american" cuisine. The problem with this is where would the rest of us buy them and he never mentioned what a substitute could be so no one would be able to duplicate his recipes. Another problem could be I thought you were not supposed to be bringing foodstuff from other countries to this country.

BTW I am glad that Melissa won. She had recipes for the rest of us.

Return to Top
#1226184 - 08/03/09 02:12 PM Re: Food Network Star Mocha's Mom
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
His sandwich did look tasty though....

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3