Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1224333 - 07/29/09 08:38 PM Definintion of Local Check with the closing of FED
cheeverj Offline
New Poster
Has the definition of a Local Check changed with the closing of so many Fed depositories and insititions using VIE?

We still use in our REG CC procedures that a local check is only from a small area of our state?

Thanks for your comments.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1224343 - 07/29/09 08:46 PM Re: Definintion of Local Check with the closing of FED cheeverj
Kelsey D Offline
Platinum Poster
Ohio
Several check processing regions have been consolidated, so there's a good chance that if you haven't updated your procedures for awhile, they're probably out of date. The list of routing numbers in each check processing region that remains is here.

Return to Top
#1224346 - 07/29/09 08:46 PM Re: Definintion of Local Check with the closing of FED cheeverj
ktac MITCH Offline
Diamond Poster
ktac MITCH
Giant side of TX
The definition of what is local has certianly changed for much of the country - given The Fed closing locations and merging check processing into other locations.
ie. For the Dallas region, local now covers areas from La. to N.M. and Wyo. frown
You need to check Appendix A of Reg CC to get information on what routing numbers are local for your area.

Return to Top
#1224356 - 07/29/09 08:54 PM Re: Definintion of Local Check with the closing of FED cheeverj
Noah Wiseman Offline
100 Club
No it has not changed yet. And it seems that soon enough all banks will have to consider ever check as local (at least that his how it looks to me).

To my understanding, you should look at Reg. CC's Appendix A to be determining what is local for you. It depends on the first four routing numbers.

Return to Top
#1226174 - 08/03/09 02:03 PM Re: Definintion of Local Check with the closing of FED Kelsey D
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Originally Posted By: Kelsey D
Several check processing regions have been consolidated, so there's a good chance that if you haven't updated your procedures for awhile, they're probably out of date. The list of routing numbers in each check processing region that remains is here.

That's the perfect place to look. I just got through posting an informational update to that page that indicates the Fed plans to complete consolidation of check processing into the Cleveland office by the first quarter of 2010.

One of the offices whose check processing will be moved to Cleveland is Los Angeles, which is a "scan and print" office already. That suggests strongly that, by the end of this year (according to the Fed's 7/31/09 announcement) there will be only two "local" areas -- centered in Cleveland and Atlanta, and by 3/31/10, there will be only one -- centered in Cleveland. That will mean that all checks other than qualifying next-day items will considered local for Reg CC purposes.

It's interesting that the Fed also said that banks will have to make their own check transportation arrangements beginning in 2010, and made some pretty strong suggestions that banks that are still hanging on to paper item exchange had better think about going to image and electronic.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett