Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1230330 - 08/10/09 06:57 PM Debit Card Authorization Help
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
I have several disputes of the same type and not sure how to proceed: The customer is going on the internet and authorizing a purchse for that "free trial" product that is never free. The terms and conditions agreement states that you have 10 days (some say 12) to cancel or your card will automatically be charged monthly and product will ship on a monthl basis thereafter. I understand these people are most likely not reading the agreement. So then these charges appear b/c they didn't cancel with the specified time frame. Is the customer liable for the charges that they are claiming as unauthorized because they failed to read the agreement? Once they click submit, they are authorizing the charges correct?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1230404 - 08/10/09 08:02 PM Re: Debit Card Authorization Help Carly Girl
bsarockstar Offline
In these types of cases, we are not refunding back the money since they authorized by clicking submit. We are telling the customer to contact the company and try to get a refund. In some cases they were able to.

In my opinion, we lose enough money (as an FI) with unauthorized transactions. I don't think we should have to lose more just because the customer didn't read the fine print.

Return to Top
#1230468 - 08/10/09 09:01 PM Re: Debit Card Authorization Help bsarockstar
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
We have the same customers! laugh

They Authorized the transactions by clicking the "I Agree" button & submitting the transaction.

They need to deal with the company directly to get their money back.

We've then had some "savvy" customers who abuse the system & tell us they never do any purchases online and have never given their number out. We credit their the money back ... but then remove their debit card privileges.

Return to Top
#1230502 - 08/10/09 09:43 PM Re: Debit Card Authorization Help WonderWoman
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
I'm thinking the same thing. It's not our fault they didn't read the terms and conditions agreement OR that they didn't see/read the Risk Free Guarantee that was on the left side of the page in a BIG black box!

Return to Top
#1230505 - 08/10/09 09:46 PM Re: Debit Card Authorization Help Carly Girl
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
I am just needing a confirmation from someone like Andy or Randy so I guess I should've just emailed one of them directly. Thanks!

Return to Top
#1230530 - 08/10/09 10:23 PM Re: Debit Card Authorization Help Carly Girl
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
You already have good advice. One caveat -- be satisfied that the website you're looking at today is the same as the website the customer saw. That's hard to demonstrate. So hard that at least one of the two card associations' rules won't accept a merchant's "proof" that the website included the disclosure as a valid representment attempt.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1230627 - 08/11/09 12:52 PM Re: Debit Card Authorization Help John Burnett
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
Thank you everyone. That's a big help to me.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z