Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1232136 - 08/13/09 03:48 PM Fire Drill
Black66 Offline
PA
Does anyone have a recommendation as to how to pull off a fire drill in a main branch with 60+employees. For a drill to be effective, it should include as many people as possible but there just isn't any time during the day that won't cause major interruptions to several departments.

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#1232423 - 08/13/09 07:59 PM Re: Fire Drill Black66
OpsTrainer Offline
Midland, Texas
We have 90+ employees at our main branch. Our Compliance Department coordinates the drill. We usually do it in the middle of the week. Our lobby hours are 9-4. The drill usually takes place, just after 4, when the doors are locked.

We have "Security Police" who go check areas on their designated floor, either a day before, or the morning of the fire drill, they are informed of a fire drill to take place at a 4:02 PM.

At 4:02 PM, they inform the employees on their floor that there is a fire.

Then, evacuations begin to happen. Once the area's clear, the security police inspect their areas to make sure confidential information isn't left out, to make sure drawers are locked (if it was safe to do so). While this is happening, the President of the bank is speaking to the employees about the importance of fire drills. Once everything has been inspected, they get a clear signal to come back in.

In the end, we see who's aware of procedures, who leaves information out, department heads should have a list of their employees and make sure they are all accounted for.

Unfortunately, one person stays behind, the receptionist to answer phones.

Hope this kind of helps out.

Return to Top
#1233314 - 08/14/09 09:54 PM Re: Fire Drill OpsTrainer
Black66 Offline
PA
Yes it did. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Return to Top
#1233370 - 08/15/09 02:05 PM Re: Fire Drill Black66
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
How frequently do you hold fire drills? Also, do you perform any other sort of drills? For example, tornado drill? Thanks.

Return to Top
#1233601 - 08/17/09 03:23 PM Re: Fire Drill BurntSienna
Black66 Offline
PA
I intend to hold a fire annually and this would be the only kind of drill that we would perform.

Return to Top
#1252356 - 09/17/09 07:45 PM Re: Fire Drill Black66
Black66 Offline
PA
There is no convenient time to conduct a drill at my bank because of our hours. Our lobby is open until 5:00 and most employees are leaving at 4:30. No matter when I try to pull it off, I can't be sure that I won't be interrupting some important business. Any ideas on a work around?

Return to Top
#1252574 - 09/18/09 02:45 AM Re: Fire Drill Black66
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Morning before you open?

One day mandated by management where all stay to 5:00?

By individual departments/floors/groupings(1 or two from each department i.e. a mini bank) throughout the day?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z