Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1232051 - 08/13/09 02:40 PM Debit Card for Authorized Signers
GSB Training Offline
100 Club
Is there any reason why we can't offer a debit card to an authorized signer on an account?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1232194 - 08/13/09 04:46 PM Re: Debit Card for Authorized Signers GSB Training
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
It depends, in my opinion, on who requests the card. If the account owner authorizes the issuance of the card, I think it's fine. But the authorized signer should not get a card without the card owner's authorization (which may be part of the initial appointment of the authorized signer).
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1232501 - 08/13/09 08:50 PM Re: Debit Card for Authorized Signers John Burnett
pmoore Offline
New Poster
What is the person getting the debit card is not an authorized signer? And is a minor?

Return to Top
#1232599 - 08/14/09 12:00 AM Re: Debit Card for Authorized Signers pmoore
BetsyS Offline
Gold Star
Would you give an unauthorized signer checks on the account? I agree with John. I would also check your account/card agreements to make sure that there are provisions making the account owner liable for all card transactions on their account made by the agent.

As to a minor, depends on your bank's best practice. Minors can't be held responsible for most contractual obligations (read the bottom of a card signature sales receipt) We do issue cards with limited access in some cases. (Minors over 16 and owner and signer of the account, parent must be joint owner and co-sign the card application)

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z