Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#123278 - 10/17/03 05:59 AM CA Drivers License for Illegals and USA PATRIOT AC
MissionViejoBanker Offline
New Poster
I'm a brand new poster. I am the operations compliance officer for my branch in Mission Viejo, CA - (hopefully soon to relocate to RSM, CA).

I question is this: With the USA Patriot act and the identification standards to establish citizenship requirements for US residents, what do we do about the pending SB60 in CA? After January 2, 2004 ANYONE CAN GET A CA DRIVERS LICENSE WITH NO DOCUMENTATION!!!! (I think Grey Davis is just STUPID and was trying to get the Latino vote before kicked out of office!)

Anyways, there are 2 issues - National Security and Identity Theft. I can (after Jan 2) get any DL that I want WITH ANY NAME THAT I WANT TOO!

http://www.dmv.ca.gov

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#123279 - 10/17/03 06:18 AM Re: CA Drivers License for Illegals and USA PATRIOT AC
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I don't think there is much we can do. We still need to get a Social Security Number, but the government won't allow us to very the SSN unless we are opening an account that requires interest reporting.

We have a law created by the federal government that demands one thing, and a law created by a state government that countermands it.

We are only bankers - mere pawns in a political game of one-up-manship.

Return to Top
#123280 - 10/17/03 06:32 AM Re: CA Drivers License for Illegals and USA PATRIOT AC
New Poster
I was afraid of that.

I'm getting a passport ASAP! At least that is a FEDERAL ID and not a state ID (that the general public and other states may lose faith in).

Return to Top
#123281 - 10/17/03 06:35 AM Re: CA Drivers License for Illegals and USA PATRIOT AC
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
So my next question is... why the #$%% are we up after 11 p.m. worrying about this stuff?

Return to Top
#123282 - 10/17/03 07:17 AM Re: CA Drivers License for Illegals and USA PATRIOT AC
New Poster
Because talking about banking helps me put the baby to sleep!

Return to Top
#123283 - 10/17/03 07:23 AM Re: CA Drivers License for Illegals and USA PATRIOT AC
New Poster
Quote:

I don't think there is much we can do. We still need to get a Social Security Number, but the government won't allow us to very the SSN unless we are opening an account that requires interest reporting.

My bank requires a SSN no matter what type of account is being opened (for Chex Verification). Also used for KYC and CIP. IF the customer is non-resident alien, then they fill out the W8-BEN form that establishes their foreign address.

Return to Top
#123284 - 10/17/03 07:32 AM Re: CA Drivers License for Illegals and USA PATRIOT AC
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I forgot to say - Welcome MissionViejoBanker! Hope you get that baby to sleep. I'm calling it a night...er - morning!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z