Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#123345 - 10/17/03 03:18 PM Bank Name & Address on checks
BeachGirl Offline
100 Club
Myrtle Beach, SC
I know this is going to sound like a dumb question, but I'm in a crunch for time to give marketing an answer on this one. Are we required to print the bank's address on our customer's checks, or is the routing number sufficient? The marketing dept. wants to eliminate the address to allow room for some other wording. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#123346 - 10/17/03 03:43 PM Re: Bank Name & Address on checks
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA
I think there is a state law issue. If memory serves me, at least in CA, if the branch address is on a check, you may be able to require the payee to present the check at the branch of account. If not, then you cannot, and the payee can go to any branch.

Return to Top
#123347 - 10/17/03 08:25 PM Re: Bank Name & Address on checks
William Offline
Gold Star
William
In a location
As Al pointed out, state law should be checked (no pun intended).

In Maryland, if the checks are provided through the bank, the state law requires the month and year of when the account was opened to be printed on the face of the check.

Return to Top
#123348 - 10/18/03 04:26 PM Re: Bank Name & Address on checks
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You also need to refer to 229.36(b)(3:

(b) Receipt at bank office or processing center. A check is considered received by the paying bank when it is received:
(1) At a location to which delivery is requested by the paying bank;
(2) At an address of the bank associated with the routing number on the check, whether in magnetic ink or in fractional form;
(3) At any branch or head office, if the bank is identified on the check by name without address; or
(4) At a branch, head office, or other location consistent with the name and address of the bank on the check if the bank is identified on the check by name and address.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett