Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1237441 - 08/22/09 02:38 PM oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!!
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
CHICAGO (Reuters) – A woman is suing a Chicago-area zoo for a 2008 fall near a dolphin exhibit, accusing zookeepers of encouraging the mammals to splash water and then failing to protect spectators from wet surfaces, local media reported on Thursday.

In her suit filed earlier this week, Allecyn Edwards said she was injured while walking near an exhibit at Brookfield Zoo, where a group of Atlantic bottlenose dolphins were performing, media said.

Officials "recklessly and willfully trained and encouraged the dolphins to throw water at the spectators in the stands, making the floor wet and slippery," but failed to post warning signs or lay down protective mats or strips, the suit said, according to the reports.

Edwards is demanding more than $50,000 for lost wages, medical expenses and emotional trauma from the Chicago Zoological Society and the Forest Preserve District of Cook County, which operate the zoo in Chicago's southwest suburbs.

The suit was filed in Illinois' Circuit Court of Cook County.

I tell ya... it's getting more and more embarrassing to live in Cook County all the time. Ugh.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1237442 - 08/22/09 02:42 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! BurntSienna
Buccs Offline
Power Poster
Ohio
Wow. Just wow.

Return to Top
#1237443 - 08/22/09 02:44 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! Buccs
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
That's the Brookfield Zoo, and I've seen the dolphin show. As I recall, not only are there signs to indicate you'll get wet and the floors may be slippery, the benches and floor are painted a different color to make it clear where the "splash zone" is, AND I recall them announcing that you could move out of the areas or in to the areas if you wanted or didn't want to get wet because my nephew wanted us to move into the splash zone!

Return to Top
#1237451 - 08/22/09 07:06 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! B_F
SunnyT Offline
Diamond Poster
SunnyT
Sandy Beach - Florida
Really? I think the judges need to throw these frivilous law suits out of court.

Return to Top
#1237455 - 08/22/09 09:41 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! SunnyT
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
Emotional trauma? Seriously? The word pathetic comes to mind.

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1237502 - 08/24/09 03:36 AM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! Tigg
Spivol Offline
Power Poster
Spivol
Tulsa, Ok
The "emotional trauma" comes from the dophins giving her that "come hither" look.

Return to Top
#1237507 - 08/24/09 10:35 AM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! Spivol
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Oh! Now that makes more sense. grin

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1237508 - 08/24/09 10:46 AM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! Tigg
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Some people are so asinine. eek

Return to Top
#1237523 - 08/24/09 12:45 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! Spivol
Lisa_Bates Offline
Power Poster
Lisa_Bates
Originally Posted By: Spivol
The "emotional trauma" comes from the dophins giving her that "come hither" look.

laugh laugh laugh

Return to Top
#1237536 - 08/24/09 01:16 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! Lisa_Bates
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Throw the frivolous ones out, and charge the person bringing the frivolous suit with court costs.

Return to Top
#1237537 - 08/24/09 01:17 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! MB Guy
A_G Offline
10K Club
Something seems quite tainted about this lawsuit.

Return to Top
#1237538 - 08/24/09 01:19 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! MB Guy
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Amen to that! A few idiots have the potential to ruin a good time for the masses...it just irks all heck out of me to see something like this!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1237545 - 08/24/09 01:33 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! B_F
Erl of Baltimore Offline
Platinum Poster
Erl of Baltimore
Memorial Stadium
Originally Posted By: B_F
That's the Brookfield Zoo, and I've seen the dolphin show. As I recall, not only are there signs to indicate you'll get wet and the floors may be slippery, the benches and floor are painted a different color to make it clear where the "splash zone" is, AND I recall them announcing that you could move out of the areas or in to the areas if you wanted or didn't want to get wet because my nephew wanted us to move into the splash zone!
The National Aquarium in Baltimore have the same kinds of signs and warnings.

This is my oldest daughter's dream is to be a marine bioligist and train either dolphins or orcas. She has told me she really wants to move to San Antonio and work at Sea World. Right now her college of choice is the University of Maryland. Now I just need enought time to save up because she is smart enough to do it. If she moves to Texas I'm coming with her.

Return to Top
#1237585 - 08/24/09 02:16 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! Erl of Baltimore
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
The one thing I'd like to see in terms of legal reform is this:

If you sue, and lose, you pay defendant's costs to defend. I think that would cut down on frivolous lawsuits like this.

Shame on the attorney that took this case too!

Return to Top
#1237639 - 08/24/09 03:07 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! FBH
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Yes, we all know that there's no water at an aquarium, right????!!!!! What a nut case! She should be banned for life from Sea World and all other such places.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1237663 - 08/24/09 03:20 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! waldensouth
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Joker and FBH, I couldn't agree more. It's just getting out of hand what people will think up to sue. But I guess it keeps lawyers and judges employed...

Return to Top
#1237737 - 08/24/09 03:55 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! Bacon Boy
buggs Offline
Power Poster
I think what you'll see next is someone suing a ski resort because there are trees on the mountain and it probably causes someone distress. You know?

Return to Top
#1237742 - 08/24/09 04:02 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! buggs
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
<---- Gonna be a bit of downer here, but.....

"Officials "recklessly and willfully trained and encouraged the dolphins to throw water at the spectators in the stands, making the floor wet and slippery," [color:#3366FF]that is a major part of the show [/color] but failed to post warning signs or lay down protective mats or strips, the suit said, according to the reports."

As crazy as this is, IF and it's a big IF, IF They Did Not Post Signs, unfortunately, they will most likely be held accountable. Yes, we all know to be careful, but in today's litigious atmosphere, you gotta do it, or else.....

Return to Top
#1237845 - 08/24/09 05:07 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! Snow Bunny
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Don't you know that people need to be protected from themselves? People are no longer able to accertain how potentially dangerous a situation may be and must rely on others to keep them safe at all times and at all costs. They can no longer be held accountable for their own actions or stupidity. mad Everytime I hear about someone suing another due to their own carelssness it makes me: sick

Return to Top
#1237862 - 08/24/09 05:20 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! bOaty
Lisa_Bates Offline
Power Poster
Lisa_Bates
Why, oh why, would you serve me HOT coffee???

Return to Top
#1237864 - 08/24/09 05:21 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! Lisa_Bates
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I shoulda sued when I tripped in the parking lot, slipped on ice, tripped over a crack in a sidewalk, I coulda sued my son for cutting me off on his bike so I took a header...

Return to Top
#1237865 - 08/24/09 05:21 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! Retired DQ
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Oh, and my mother for breaking my finger... eek

Return to Top
#1237870 - 08/24/09 05:27 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! Retired DQ
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
^^ laugh

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1237872 - 08/24/09 05:30 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! Retired DQ
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: Random AA Name
I shoulda sued when I tripped in the parking lot, slipped on ice, tripped over a crack in a sidewalk, I coulda sued my son for cutting me off on his bike so I took a header...

And what, force the parent company of Tanqueray into bankruptcy?

Return to Top
#1237874 - 08/24/09 05:32 PM Re: oh those reckless dolphin trainers!!! let's sue!! Tigg
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Sad - but I bet there are many out there who would frown

A few years ago I tripped on a curb at a hotel. I got a nasty cut on my nose, that healed fine, and damaged my glasses. The hotels insurance company called me the next day, and insisted on paying to replace the glasses and wanted me to see a doctor for the cut, which I refused. I was happy for the new glasses.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2