Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#12396 - 08/15/01 06:36 PM Advertising -- FDIC membership and portal pages
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am looking for guidance on whether or not the FDIC logo should be on a bank portal page. I know what FDIC has said about home pages, but portal pages are somewhat different. We have a frame on our portal page that has the bank's name and links to all of our pages. But within this frame are links to news articles, sports, weather, stock market information, etc. At the end of the page is the Member FDIC logo.

Originally I thought we needed to put the FDIC logo on this page, because it is an advertisement for the bank (since our name and logo are plastered across the top of the screen). But in looking at the result every page accessed from this page is still "part of the portal" and includes the FDIC logo. This may be misleading. The customer could be reading a news article on investing in the stock market, etc.

Has anyone else encountered this situation and if so what did you decide to do?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#12397 - 08/15/01 07:20 PM Re: Advertising -- FDIC membership and portal pages
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The logo should be on the home page and pages that solicit deposit accounts.

If it is on those deposit pages, and they could appear in the portal page, it would not be necessary to show it twice, once on the page in the main-frame and once on the top or left frame (as is a common setup). Also, you are assured of disclosure if the user selects "open in new window". In this case they get only the selected page, no frames. If only the frame had the logo disclosure, that could be a problem.

If it is on the portal page and a page can be brought up in the main-frame of the portal that has (as an example) stocks, I could see a problem there. I have heard differing opinions, but would lean more towards a cleaner separation of insured and non-insured products. So I agree with you.

I would lean towards having it on the individual pages that could be accessed instead of on a master frame that could add confusion.

One other area to look at is your Internet banking demo page. Is "Member FDIC" there? That is an advertisement for accounts. Often it is omitted from there and it shouldn't be.

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z