BOL Conferences
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
Thread Options
#1233996 - 08/17/09 08:03 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans Ann
CalifDreamin Online
Diamond Poster
CalifDreamin
Far from Calif
Along with what Ann said....related to ODPs, and the thought being that if we don't charge late fees, don't report the account to the credit bureau for being late, and don't treat as late...ABA expert said that you still have to comply with sending the periodic statement at least 21 days prior to the due date. She said

Quote:
I do not agree. I do not think your charging a late fee or reporting to the credit bureau changes anything. The Commentary provides that the payment due date "is the due date according to the legal obligation between the parties - not the end of the additional period of time." If you wish to provide a ‘grace period' (or courtesy period) following the due date before a late fee is assessed (or are required to do so by state law) you cannot add that period to the mailing date to determine when the 21-day period expires: you must still allow the full 21 days between mailing the statement and the contractual date the payment is due.

Also, Reg Z defines open-end line of credit as:

Open-end credit means consumer credit extended by a creditor under a plan in which:
(i) The creditor reasonably contemplates repeated transactions;
(ii) The creditor may impose a finance charge from time to time on an outstanding unpaid balance; and
(iii) The amount of credit that may be extended to the consumer during the term of the plan (up to any limit set by the creditor) is generally made available to the extent that any outstanding balance is repaid.

If your Ready Reserve meets this definition then I believe it is covered by section 106 of the CARD Act and the 21-day period applies. Unless and until we get clarification from the Fed contradicting this, you should proceed with caution.

crazy
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1234176 - 08/18/09 01:19 AM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans CalifDreamin
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If there is no impact to the customer, i.e., Late fees, grace period, reporting to the credit bureau, then the bank is free to deliver statements with whatever due date they choose. The regulation reads:

(ii) Creditors must adopt reasonable procedures designed to ensure that periodic statements are mailed or delivered at least 21 days prior to the payment due date and the date on which any grace period expires. A creditor that fails to meet this requirement shall not treat a payment as late for any purpose or collect any finance or other charge imposed as a result of such failure. For purposes of this paragraph, “grace period” means a period within which any credit extended may be repaid without incurring a finance charge due to a periodic interest rate.

You are allowed to "fail to meet this requirement" as long as you meet the other requirements.

Return to Top
#1236382 - 08/20/09 07:17 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans rlcarey
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
IF we have established procedures that statements are generated (printed) and mailed the same day (21 days prior to due date) will this satisfy the "mailed or delivered at least 21 days prior to the payment due date"?

They don't have to be received 21 days prior to the due date confused

It was mentioned earlier that the safe harbor standard is +3 days, but I did not see that in the reg.

Return to Top
#1236450 - 08/20/09 07:53 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans DD Regs
Dolly Nugent Offline
Diamond Poster
Dolly Nugent
Southern California
No, it's not in the reg, but if you sit down and figure this out on paper, you will see why everyone is adding an additional 3-5 days. Factor in a three day weekend. Your statement may cutoff on a Friday, but it won't be printed until Tuesday if there is a three day weekend. Some of us are adding a 4-5 days to allow time for processing and getting the statements into the mail.

The number of days you add will depend on how you do things in your bank. smile

Return to Top
#1236488 - 08/20/09 08:10 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans Dolly Nugent
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
I have been assured that it will cut and be in the mail 21 days prior to the due date.

Return to Top
#1236553 - 08/20/09 09:07 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans DD Regs
Dolly Nugent Offline
Diamond Poster
Dolly Nugent
Southern California
Personally, I would want supporting documentation to evidence how this will be accomplished. I have a detailed memo and action plan that I will be showing to our auditors and examiners if/when I am asked about how we are complying with this requirement.

I wouldn't take a verbal "be assured" from anyone in this environment. smile Expecially if you are responsible for your bank's compliance program. smile

Return to Top
#1238109 - 08/24/09 09:27 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans Rosie O'Grady
Compliance Heifa Offline
100 Club
Up on the Roof in Texas
Does anyone have language that they would be willing to share for a statement message or letter regarding changing the date the payment will be debited from 10 days after the billing or statement date to 25 days? Our agreements for our ODP program states that your payment will be deducted 10 days after your billing date (statement date). The statement cycles are throughout the month, so we are going to change the # of days to debit the payment to 25 so they will have at least 21 days from the statement date. I was just wondering if someone had wording to share.

Thanks!

Return to Top
#1238119 - 08/24/09 09:39 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans DD Regs
#Just Jay Online
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: DD Regs
I have been assured that it will cut and be in the mail 21 days prior to the due date.

Has your processor considered weekends and holidays?

Our vendor is suggesting and offering 25 days.

The extra 3ish days is discussed in the accompanying(sp) guidance with the rule, and specifically given as an example.

Return to Top
#1238386 - 08/25/09 01:53 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans #Just Jay
ahou Offline
Power Poster
ahou
When do the following apply?
For rate increases, the increase cannot be applied to existing balance. The bank must allow the cardholder to repay based on a minimum 5 year amortization period, with a minimum payment not more than twice the percentage required before the cardholder canceled.

Effective Aug 21st, 2009 or Feb 22, 2010?

Return to Top
#1238575 - 08/25/09 04:00 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans ahou
dg Offline
Platinum Poster
Pacific NW
I seemed to be confused on what is a credit card account. I have looked at the Reg Z definitions. We have a personal line of credit that will be accessed by either a debit card or a check. Is this a credit card account?

Return to Top
#1239023 - 08/25/09 10:57 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans rlcarey
travelgirl Offline
100 Club
Minnesota
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
"Can a customer request the setup of an automatic draft from their DDA account before the due date of the 25th."

They can setup it up on any day on which you will allow and can accommodate.

But in agreeing to their request, would we be out of compliance if the payment came out less that 21 days from the statement date? Our system and procedures are to give 24 days from statement to payment due date but they are changing it at their own free will so wouldn't that be ok?

How do we comply and still maintain service to our customer? Would / could we have something in writing from them make it ok?

Return to Top
#1239141 - 08/26/09 01:06 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans travelgirl
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
You are allowing the proper time the law requires. If your customer chooses to pay at a different time...say the 15th of each month, that is their perogative. It does not change the due date, so there is no problem with your compliance.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1239477 - 08/26/09 03:56 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans RR Joker
travelgirl Offline
100 Club
Minnesota
Thanks for the reply. I may be getting into more semantics here than necessay but in these cases, the payment due date on the system is what the customer requested not the 24 day window. Payments will automatically come out on this date (if a payment hasn't already been made). Without something in writing from the customer to prove what they want (some the accounts are old and good records weren't maintained), how can I prove compliance on these 100 or so accounts?

I was considering changing everyone to the 24 days, sending them a letter about the change and indicating if they want a different payment due date then they need to request it in writing. Your response seems to indicate I'm ok - which would be great, but I have no documentation of the customers wishes. Our loan agreements just say the payment due date is what's listed on the periodic statement.

Return to Top
#1239527 - 08/26/09 04:29 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans Compliance Heifa
Ann Offline
Platinum Poster
South Carolina
This is what we used on our statements:

Important Statement Message For Accounts With CreditLine: We are pleased to let you know that we are making changes to your payment due date to give you more time to pay. You will now have 25 days from the statement date to submit your payment. Please review your CreditLine statement for your extended due date in the event the payment due is debited from your checking account.

Return to Top
#1239553 - 08/26/09 04:46 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans Ann
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
This is what we used....

We want to take this opportunity to inform you that under new regulations, the payment due date for your home equity line of credit has been extended from the 11th day of the month to the 25th day of the month, commencing iwth your September payment. We hope that this additional time will assist you in making timely payments.

Return to Top
#1243690 - 09/02/09 05:10 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans Queen Mum
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
One more question on this topic...and I have searched and searched...

"APPLICATIONS FROM UNDERAGE CONSUMERS"

The act states - the following, but I can't find discussion on it... is there any?

‘‘(A) PROHIBITION ON ISSUANCE.—No credit card may
be issued to, or open end consumer credit plan established
by or on behalf of, a consumer who has not attained the
age of 21, unless the consumer has submitted a written
application to the card issuer that meets the requirements
of subparagraph (B).
‘‘(B) APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS.—An application to
open a credit card account by a consumer who has not
attained the age of 21 as of the date of submission of
the application shall require—
‘‘(i) the signature of a cosigner, including the
parent, legal guardian, spouse, or any other individual
who has attained the age of 21 having a means to
repay debts incurred by the consumer in connection
with the account, indicating joint liability for debts
incurred by the consumer in connection with the
account before the consumer has attained the age of
21; or
‘‘(ii) submission by the consumer of financial
information, including through an application, indicating
an independent means of repaying any obligation
arising from the proposed extension of credit in
connection with the account.

Return to Top
#1243991 - 09/02/09 08:02 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans QCL
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Anyone?
Is this effective now?

Return to Top
#1244038 - 09/02/09 08:24 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans QCL
Reads Regs Offline
Diamond Poster
My bank doesn't offer credit cards but I did a search on google and came across the following article.

http://www.paulhastings.com/assets/publications/1328.pdf?wt.mc_ID=1328.pdf

It indicates that this provision takes effect in February 2010.

Return to Top
#1244084 - 09/02/09 08:43 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans Reads Regs
JGo Offline
New Poster
The Credit Card Accountability Responsibility & Disclosure Act (say that 3 times fast!) is being implemented in 3 waves.

8.20.09 (hope you've already got this one covered.)

Return to Top
#1244100 - 09/02/09 09:04 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans JGo
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Phew. Thanks to you both.
We just had an application for a CC from an 18 year old; and suddenly went - ummmm...did this become effective 8.20.09 too?

Return to Top
#1244321 - 09/03/09 02:07 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans QCL
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Re-read the above cite. You are not prohibited from issuing a credit card to an 18 year old applicant if they can demonstrate independent means of repaying the debt.

Return to Top
#1244583 - 09/03/09 03:54 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans travelgirl
Happy Offline
Gold Star
Happy
Originally Posted By: travelgirl
Thanks for the reply. I may be getting into more semantics here than necessay but in these cases, the payment due date on the system is what the customer requested not the 24 day window. Payments will automatically come out on this date (if a payment hasn't already been made). Without something in writing from the customer to prove what they want (some the accounts are old and good records weren't maintained), how can I prove compliance on these 100 or so accounts?

I was considering changing everyone to the 24 days, sending them a letter about the change and indicating if they want a different payment due date then they need to request it in writing. Your response seems to indicate I'm ok - which would be great, but I have no documentation of the customers wishes. Our loan agreements just say the payment due date is what's listed on the periodic statement.

I have the same question. If the customer chooses to have a payment date of say "the 5th of the month" (since that is when the customer gets their paycheck) and the statment is cut on the 27th of the prior month, the payment due date would not be shown on the statment as 21 days after the statement date. In this scenerio the customer would not receive notice 21 days prior to payment due date. Does the regulation allow for that if that is the customers choice?

Return to Top
#1244757 - 09/03/09 05:33 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans Happy
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
You can allow the customer to choose their payment due date if you want but the regulation still requires the statement to be provided or mailed at least 21 days before the payment due date. If you do not want to do this then your alternative is not to charge late charges, have no grace period for when additional finance charges can be assessed and do not report the accounts to the credit reporting agencies. You must do all three to avoid the 21 day rule.

Return to Top
#1244967 - 09/03/09 08:08 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans Dan Persfull
Sage Offline
Platinum Poster
I may be searching under the wrong term, but what do you do about the 21 day notice on bi-weekly pay loans?

Return to Top
#1245185 - 09/03/09 10:47 PM Re: Credit Card Reform Act/OE Loans Sage
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You send periodic statements bi-weekly.

Return to Top
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderator:  Andy_Z