Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#124620 - 10/27/03 08:10 PM Re: Peeves
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Quote:

The problem is.... that not everyone should reproduce. I said it. Go ahead and rip my head off.

Instead of ripping your head off, I think I'll pat you on the back! You are absolutely right.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#124621 - 10/27/03 08:11 PM Re: Peeves
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

I don't agree with throwing money on a problem. I don't want be so concerned with the penny to miss the dollar either.

I know what the root of the problem is and it CAN NOT BE FIXED! You hit the nail on the head when you said classroom behavior of students. The problem is that parents depend on schools to teach them things they should learn at home. The problem is.... that not everyone should reproduce. I said it. Go ahead and rip my head off. That is the single reason that class size is more important today than it was 30 years ago. Teachers today are forced spend entirly too much time with trouble makers and attention seekers to teach the rest of the class. We made the problem, we will have to deal with it and it won't be cheap.

Can I get an AMEN! Teachers spend so much time with our children, yet we tie their hands when it comes to dealing with problems. I have always told my kids that I will back a teacher until I have a reason not to, so don't come home and tell me that "My teacher just doesn't like me." I know that happens, but I don't think it's the majority of the time. My kids also know that if they get in trouble at school that it's double trouble at home. I also think that we expect teachers to do what we as parents should do. Yes, they are at school to learn, but when they struggle with something that's when we need to put down the books,dishes,remotes....whatever...and help our children ourselves. Sometimes I have to read an entire algebra chapter just to help Tess with 1 problem, but it's worth it. It shows her that I care, and it shows the teacher that I care.
P.S. You have to have a license to do just about everything, except HAVE A BABY!!!
Last edited by elena; 10/27/03 08:13 PM.

Return to Top
#124622 - 10/27/03 08:15 PM Re: Peeves
obx nut Offline
Gold Star
obx nut
Midwest
OK...I'll bite too...

My "friend" is a school administrator. Just because our children arrive at 8:10 and leave at 2:50 doesn't mean that those responsible for their education have that same luxury. Teachers arrive early and stay late. Administrators arrive even earlier and stay even later! He has to work late (7 or 8 pm) 3 nights this week...he arrives at work at 7:15am. He also has to go in on Saturday this week for another function. Last week was a PTA meeting until 8pm one night....conferences until 7:30 on another. As to having summers off....summers are for continued education (a requirement) and sometimes teaching summer school. He worked 2 weeks past when the teachers did...and started 2 weeks before they did. And the majority of the summer that was left he worked on a curriculum mapping project with 20 other teachers/administrators.

I have a son who is ADHD. Helping him with his homework is a struggle. Multiply that by 25 students in a class for 6 or so hours in a day. You would want summers off too!

Our children are our future. Adequately compensating those who teach them to become productive citizens should be a no-brainer.

Return to Top
#124623 - 10/27/03 09:00 PM Re: Peeves
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is amazing how others peeves are my peeves.
Here are some of mine:
1. Telephone Customer Service Representatives who do not speak english and can't assist you. Why are you answering the phone!
2. Tailgaters - I usually wash my windows and the spray gets on their windshields and makes them slow down to put their wipers on.
3. Answering machines that have long messages that includes music and a message from all their kids.
4. People who ramble on when leaving a mesaage on the answering machine.
5. Making specific requests when ordering a meal only to have it come out wrong!

Thank you, I feel better now!

Return to Top
#124624 - 10/27/03 09:14 PM Re: Peeves
IUalum Offline
Platinum Poster
IUalum
Kentucky
How about adults who talk all through church? They're worse than the kids! The people that always sit behind us talk all through the hymns and "quiet" time. Dang, that gets on my nerves! Have some respect, people!! Nobody else CARES what you're having for lunch or how Sally's date went last night!

Return to Top
#124625 - 10/27/03 09:48 PM Re: Peeves
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
BTW - rather than picking on the garbage collectors, how about we compare a teacher's salary to that of star athletes and media celebrities?

There is something to be said when someone is paid several million dollars to provide entertainment, yet a teacher makes between $20,000 and $50,000 to provide an education.

Return to Top
#124626 - 10/27/03 10:06 PM Re: Peeves
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
That is a reflection of our culture. We would rather be entertained than educated.

Return to Top
#124627 - 10/27/03 10:15 PM Re: Peeves
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
I agree that the amount of money celebs does not seem to make sense. It is, however, supply and demand.

The way we pay teachers is actually a symptom of a priorty problem. The problem here where we place on education on the scale of priority with professional sports and other forms of entertainment. Great. Another problem without a solution.

Another point / peeve: If an individual is paid an ungodly amount of money to play a sport should not complain about being a role model. They should consider it part of the privalige of being able to play a game for a living. At the same time, parents that let their kids look to professional athletes for a role model should get a clue as to what being a parent is all about.

Return to Top
#124628 - 10/27/03 10:56 PM Re: Peeves
Michelle D Offline
Gold Star
Michelle D
Terminator Country
Carpool lanes - those that don't understand that the double yellow lines mean DO NOT CROSS either into or out of just because your lane is moving slow!

Return to Top
#124629 - 10/28/03 06:57 PM Re: Peeves
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
When someone posts a "where can I find..." question on these forums and a Google search points to the information sought within the first 10 hits.

Return to Top
#124630 - 10/28/03 07:01 PM Re: Peeves
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Hecklers! (just a hint for next week Jim) LOL

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#124631 - 10/29/03 04:20 PM Re: Peeves
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
New Peeve-
A certain BOLer trying to reincarnate himself as someone else and thinking we won't figure out it's him after a while.
Last edited by Pam1027; 10/29/03 04:29 PM.
Return to Top
#124632 - 10/29/03 04:23 PM Re: Peeves
LCM Offline
LCM
Never mind.
Last edited by LCM; 10/29/03 04:31 PM.
Return to Top
#124633 - 10/29/03 04:27 PM Re: Peeves
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was taught that I should not peeve in public.

Return to Top
#124634 - 10/29/03 04:59 PM Re: Peeves
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

New Peeve-
A certain BOLer trying to reincarnate himself as someone else and thinking we won't figure out it's him after a while.

BUSTED

Return to Top
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5