Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1246316 - 09/08/09 04:44 PM Electronic Debits & Passbook Accounts
reknab Offline
Gold Star
not where I want to be
Do you allow electronic debits from passbook accounts. If not, how do you prevent them from occuring?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1246825 - 09/08/09 10:03 PM Re: Electronic Debits & Passbook Accounts reknab
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
If it's truly a passbook account, you CAN'T allow electronic debits.

Return to Top
#1247437 - 09/09/09 07:07 PM Re: Electronic Debits & Passbook Accounts David Dickinson
Nancyod Offline
New England
This may be a stupid question, but why not?

Return to Top
#1247449 - 09/09/09 07:26 PM Re: Electronic Debits & Passbook Accounts Nancyod
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Sure, you can allow e-debits, but that will mean you have to provide periodic statements under Regulation E, and that means you won't have a true passbook account any longer.

If you want to keep the passbook accounts, you have to block and return any ACH debits, which means you need to have a customer-relations campaign to advise them why they can't be authorizing debits against their savings accounts.

Your bank presumably knows its customer base. If it thinks it has to keep savings passbook accounts, it can't allow ACH debits to post to them. The trade-off is that customers may perceive that as an inconvenience.
Last edited by John Burnett; 09/09/09 07:27 PM.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1247539 - 09/09/09 08:44 PM Re: Electronic Debits & Passbook Accounts John Burnett
LynnH Offline
100 Club
LynnH
NH
Besides FDIC told me I couldn't!

When we were examined earlier this summer we had 'grandfathered' passbooks accounts, but they informed me you can't grandfather debits, they just were not allowed.

I had to run reports to show we hadn't actually received any debits on these accounts in the last 6 months and then put an ach debit block on those grandfathered accounts (all others get a debit and credit block upon account opening) and then they were happy again!

Return to Top
#1247541 - 09/09/09 08:48 PM Re: Electronic Debits & Passbook Accounts LynnH
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
In today's electronic world, I am amazed that customers still want to bring a passbook to the bank for updating. It just seems so simple to convert to statement savings. But, as John said, you know your customer base.

Return to Top
#1247542 - 09/09/09 08:49 PM Re: Electronic Debits & Passbook Accounts LynnH
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Passbook accounts are becoming increasingly outmoded as the rest of the world moves toward more electronification.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1247591 - 09/09/09 09:15 PM Re: Electronic Debits & Passbook Accounts John Burnett
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
Years ago when we converted an acquired bank's passbook savings to statement savings, we had to teach our tellers what a passbook was. We went ahead and updated them if they were brought in by the customer. Some of the customers were really happy to get a statement, but some still held on to the passbooks for a little while. They eventually all went away.

Return to Top
#1248224 - 09/10/09 06:22 PM Re: Electronic Debits & Passbook Accounts BrendaC
reknab Offline
Gold Star
not where I want to be
I wish we could get rid of the passbooks....not my decision though. What about ACH credits to a passbook? Should we block those also?? We send out the annual reg e error resolution notice to all passbook customers with ACH credits...does that cover us?

Return to Top
#1248352 - 09/10/09 08:20 PM Re: Electronic Debits & Passbook Accounts reknab
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Preauthorized EFT credits to a passbook don't trigger a statement requirement if they are the only EFTs that can post to the account, and you can provide transaction details (amount and date) in a passbook update on request. The exception for passbooks is set out in Reg E, section 205.9(c)(1)(i).
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1249328 - 09/12/09 01:36 AM Re: Electronic Debits & Passbook Accounts John Burnett
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
We still promote passbooks like they are the best thing since canned beer and sliced bread crazy

The blue-haireds love us laugh

Return to Top
#1886894 - 01/15/14 03:57 PM Re: Electronic Debits & Passbook Accounts reknab
reknab Offline
Gold Star
not where I want to be
John - you stated that Preauthorized EFT credits to a passbook don't trigger a statement requirement if they are the only EFTs that can post to the account, and you can provide transaction details (amount and date) in a passbook update on request.

I'm reading the following in the reg:

Exceptions to the periodic statement requirement for certain accounts -- (1) Preauthorized transfers to accounts. For accounts that may be accessed only by preauthorized transfers to the account the following rules apply:
Passbook accounts. For passbook accounts, the financial institution need not provide a periodic statement if the institution updates the passbook upon presentation, or enters on a separate document the amount and date of each electronic fund transfer since the passbook was last presented.

This line is throwing me off: For accounts that may be accessed only by preauthorized transfers to the account the following rules apply.

If the customer can access in person, does this exception still apply? I'm not sure I'm understanding this correctly.

Return to Top
#1887239 - 01/15/14 09:54 PM Re: Electronic Debits & Passbook Accounts reknab
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Preauthorized transfers to accounts include SSA or VA benefits payments, payroll direct deposit, etc. Those sorts of EFTs don't need to trigger a statement requriement for a passbook account.

However, if the customer has personal EFT access - an ATM card or debit card, for example, that exception disappears.

The fact that the customer can make an in-person withdrawal with the passbook doesn't kill the exception; the fact that other types of EFTs (ACH debits, ATM or debit card transactions, for example) are allowed to hit the account would eliminate the exception.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1887778 - 01/16/14 09:54 PM Re: Electronic Debits & Passbook Accounts reknab
reknab Offline
Gold Star
not where I want to be
Got it...Thank you, John!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z