BOL Conferences
Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19
Thread Options
#1246879 - 09/09/09 01:16 AM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 misha
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
There is no prohibition from splitting a large loan up into two transactions. What concerns do you have? However, if you are selling the first liens, you are basically assuming all of the transaction risk.

Presumption of compliance will (in theory) only come into play if challenged in court. If you choose not to comply with a specific requirement, as they are all affirmative requirements, you will be cited for regulatory violations by the regulators.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1247070 - 09/09/09 02:17 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 rlcarey
drpackrat Offline
The issue my bank has and probably Misha too is that we are a small community bank that does not sell its loans and even bigger issue is that we don't escrow and don't want to. We have jumbo loans we do now but they will be HPMLs with the current rates we have. We are trying to figure out what we can do rather than just lower the rate since we portfolio 100% and don't want jumbo risk at standard loan pricing. So we figured we could offer the loan amounts in two products which both combined be 80%LTV or less but which would not put us in HPML category. Would we have any issues with the new regs if we were to struture our jumbos in this manner? I am not sure if we would still have the issues of compliance you mentioned. It is all too confusing for my old brain and an upcoming FDIC exam next month!

Return to Top
#1247293 - 09/09/09 05:21 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 RR Joker
jlroberts Offline
Diamond Poster
jlroberts
Ohio
I tested all my AML APRS that we quote on our rate sheet and they are all considered HPML. We use the National Monthly Median Cost of Funds Ratio for OTS Regulated Institutions with a 3% margin. I took the rate as low as 1% and still HPML, then I took the margin from 3% to 2% and they were fine. Is anyone else having this problem? All of our fixed rates were fine.

Return to Top
#1247317 - 09/09/09 05:38 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 jlroberts
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:
Would we have any issues with the new regs if we were to structure our jumbos in this manner?

I see no problem as long as the home equity loan you referenced is a closed-end home equity and not a HELOC. If you structure them using a HELOC then you would be construed as structuring a closed-end product as an open-end product for the purpose of evading the restrictions of HPMLs.

However, that is my opinion and I urge you to discuss the scenario with your regulatory authority for their opinion.

Return to Top
#1247358 - 09/09/09 05:56 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 drpackrat
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By: drpackrat
The issue my bank has and probably Misha too is that we are a small community bank that does not sell its loans and even bigger issue is that we don't escrow and don't want to. We have jumbo loans we do now but they will be HPMLs with the current rates we have. We are trying to figure out what we can do rather than just lower the rate since we portfolio 100% and don't want jumbo risk at standard loan pricing. So we figured we could offer the loan amounts in two products which both combined be 80%LTV or less but which would not put us in HPML category. Would we have any issues with the new regs if we were to struture our jumbos in this manner? I am not sure if we would still have the issues of compliance you mentioned. It is all too confusing for my old brain and an upcoming FDIC exam next month!

I'm not getting this scenario...if you lower the loam amount enough to give the standard interest rate (rather than jumbo), but you have to then create a junior lien to get it down low enough to do that...I don't see where you have lowered your risk any, so why not just lower your rates on the jumbo's? Your exposure is the same either way!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1247383 - 09/09/09 06:11 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 RR Joker
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
RRJ...they could lower the rate on the first lien to avoid the escrow requirements of a HPML. They could charge a higher rate on the closed-end second to offset the adjustment on the first and although it (the 2nd) may hit HPML status they would not be required to escrow because it's a subordinate lien.

I don't see a problem with this, however keep in mind this is new territory and would the examiners consider it to be "structuring" to avoid the HPML limitations. That's why I urge discussion with your regulatory authority. Until the first exam and feedback none of us really knows what to expect, we can only speculate based on our readings and past experiences.

Return to Top
#1247452 - 09/09/09 07:32 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 RR Joker
CO Officer Offline
100 Club
USA
226.35(a)(3) states:
the term ``higher-priced mortgage loan'' does not include a transaction to finance the initial construction of a dwelling, a temporary or ``bridge'' loan with a term of twelve months or less, such as a loan to purchase a new dwelling where the consumer plans to sell a current dwelling within twelve months, a reverse-mortgage transaction subject to Sec. 226.33, or a home equity line of credit subject to Sec. 226.5b.

I'm stuck on "does not include a transaction to finance the initial construction of a dwelling"....do they mean construction loans that include permanent financing or loans for construction only, where a new vehicle will be put in place to cover the permanent financing?

Return to Top
#1247498 - 09/09/09 08:06 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Where are the instructions for the FFIEC calculator?

Return to Top
#1247512 - 09/09/09 08:18 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 Tesla
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN

Return to Top
#1247527 - 09/09/09 08:33 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 Dan Persfull
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:
I'm stuck on "does not include a transaction to finance the initial construction of a dwelling"....do they mean construction loans that include permanent financing or loans for construction only, where a new vehicle will be put in place to cover the permanent financing?

Your construction permanent loan would be for the initial construction of the dwelling, therefore I would opine it would be exempt.

Return to Top
#1247559 - 09/09/09 08:54 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 Dan Persfull
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Dan Persfull

How did I miss that? crazy

Thanks!

Return to Top
#1247633 - 09/09/09 10:08 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 RR Joker
jlroberts Offline
Diamond Poster
jlroberts
Ohio
Is it possible to have a loan that is a HMPL but it is not a HOEPA loan and visa versa?

Return to Top
#1247645 - 09/09/09 10:32 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 jlroberts
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Yes. It could be a HOEPA loan because of high fees (credit insurance) and the APR is not high enough to be a HPML. You could have a loan subject to HPML at 1.6% over the APOR which will not be a HOEPA loan.

Return to Top
#1247734 - 09/10/09 12:56 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 David Dickinson
CompDat Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
Originally Posted By: David Dickinson
Yes. It could be a HOEPA loan because of high fees (credit insurance) and the APR is not high enough to be a HPML. You could have a loan subject to HPML at 1.6% over the APOR which will not be a HOEPA loan.

Im not sure I follow you here. I believe both HPML and HOEPA need to use the APR. Thus I do not see it as possible to have a HOEPA loan that is not a HPML. Can you give me an example?

I realize they both use two different indices’ but both are actually tied (not a perfect regression). The price of treasury securities is in some way correlated to loan interest rates. I bet there is a scenario I just cant fathom it.

smile Thanks
Last edited by CompDat; 09/10/09 01:03 PM. Reason: To add second paragraph
Return to Top
#1247745 - 09/10/09 01:08 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 CompDat
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
All fees and charges that are used in the HOEPA calculation are not finance charges that affect the APR therefore you could have an APR that is not over the 1.5/3.5% (for HPML) but the fees and charges could exceed 8/10% (for HOEPA). I agree it would be a rarity but it is possible.

Return to Top
#1247750 - 09/10/09 01:18 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 Dan Persfull
CompDat Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
Originally Posted By: Dan Persfull
All fees and charges that are used in the HOEPA calculation are not finance charges that affect the APR therefore you could have an APR that is not over the 1.5/3.5% (for HPML) but the fees and charges could exceed 8/10% (for HOEPA). I agree it would be a rarity but it is possible.

Are you referring to the second trigger: (ii) The total points and fees payable by the consumer at or before loan closing will exceed the greater of 8 percent of the total loan amount, or $400; the $400 figure shall be adjusted annually on January 1 by the annual percentage change in the Consumer Price Index that was reported on the preceding June 1.

The reason that I usually exclude this scenario is it is very hard for the total of points and fees to exceed the greater of 8% or $400 (usually the 8%). If you are then I agree there are probably scenrios that there could be a HOEPA loan and not HPML, but it would be pretty unlikely.

Return to Top
#1247757 - 09/10/09 01:32 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 CompDat
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
HOEPA has 2 triggers where HPML only has one. The fees and charges trigger is the one David and I are referring too and you should never automatically exclude that trigger, especially if you still do single premium PMI and/or credit insurance.

As I said earlier I agree it would be a rarity but it is possible.

Return to Top
#1247786 - 09/10/09 01:57 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 Dan Persfull
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I think Dan has explained this well, but I'll add to it. I see more HOEPA loans triggered by selling credit/disability insurance then the high APR trigger. This loan will be subject to HOEPA (because of the fees test - or the 2nd trigger, as you stated), but no to HPML.

As I stated in my last post, there will be LOTS of loans that meet the HPML test (because the APR threshold is so low), bu they won't meet the HOEPA APR threshold.

Return to Top
#1247811 - 09/10/09 02:12 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 David Dickinson
CompDat Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
OK I agree. We look for loans that trigger the credit life/ disability test, but everything else is fairly hard to catch befoer loan closing... or it just doesnt trigger the fee. I wonder about the VA funding fee on secondary market loans now. That should often hit the trigger for fees for HOEPA.

Until I thought better about it I thought the insurances increased APR more than they would as a pure % lof loan amount. That is why I was getting hung up with that. My bad.
Last edited by CompDat; 09/10/09 02:15 PM.
Return to Top
#1247955 - 09/10/09 03:31 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 Dan Persfull
drpackrat Offline
"Your construction permanent loan would be for the initial construction of the dwelling, therefore I would opine it would be exempt."

Dan you said the above in refernce to CO OFFICER's question....we only do our construction perms as 2x closings, therefore we are thinking our perm portion could fall under HPML qualifying since it is a seperate closing....again, we don't escrow and are looking at lowering rates to not fall into a "Have To" escrow scenario. Am I correct in thinking these 2x closing CPs would have the perm rates not be exempt from HPML inclusion? thanks.

Return to Top
#1247983 - 09/10/09 03:43 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 CompDat
dsaj Offline
Pennsylvania
Forgive me if this question is redundant, but most of the focus has been on balloon loans.

For a regular 5/1 ARM that does not have a discounted initial rate but is a HPML - what interest rate is used for qualifying the customer since the rate/payment will change in the first seven years?

If the annual change is capped at 2%, should the initial rate plus 4% (the highest possible rate changes in the fifth and sixth years) be used?

This is the last issue in our implementation of these dreadful changes. smile

Return to Top
#1247988 - 09/10/09 03:45 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 dsaj
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Go with what you know. Don't assume the worst case scenario. Just like the TIL payment stream, use the highest P&I (based on today's index) to determine their repayment ability.

Return to Top
#1247990 - 09/10/09 03:46 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 drpackrat
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Take this as "my opinion".

A construction/permanent loan is for the purpose of the initial construction and long term financing of the dwelling. IMHO I don't think it matters whether you have a 1 phase or a 2 phase construction/permanent loan. I think both scenarios are for the initial construction of the dwelling and therefore would be exempt.

Again, "my opinion".

Return to Top
#1248368 - 09/10/09 08:36 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 Dan Persfull
SpaceNeedle Offline
Is the 7 year balloon rule applicable to Sec 32 loans as well as HPMLs? I attended a seminar in May that indicates both are subject to the rule but Supervisory Insights only mentions HPMLs.

Thanks

Return to Top
#1248402 - 09/10/09 09:01 PM Re: Regulation Z changes - 10-01-09 SpaceNeedle
EmilyAnn Offline
Gold Star
I believe that a Section 32/HOEPA loan would also be a Higher-Priced Mortgage Loan, as the APR that triggers Section 32 status would certainly be high enough to qualify as HPML. Perhaps the fees test could result in a Section 32 loan that is not HPML - I haven't done the math, but it seems like it would be a very rare possibility.

Return to Top
Page 5 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19

Moderator:  Andy_Z