Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1248276 - 09/10/09 07:10 PM Lost cat - need some positive thoughts
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
My daughter's cat has gone missing for 3 days now. We have tried to keep him an Indoor cat, but when he wants to go outside, it's very difficult to keep him in. He can run from the other side of the house and through an open door in mere seconds.

Up until now, the longest he has been gone is less than a day. This cat is really a special buddy to my daughter, and she is heartbroken and so am I.

Please keep a good thought for Elliott that he comes home safe and sound. Thank you.

Return to Top
#1248282 - 09/10/09 07:14 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts Princess Romeo
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Prayers that Elliott makes it home safely.

Return to Top
#1248305 - 09/10/09 07:36 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts Skittles
Search_Me Offline
Power Poster
Search_Me
In my Strappy Heeled Sandals!
I've two indoor cats...of which...they both love to be outside...but are not allowed as they'd be very defenseless since I had their front claws removed.... anyhoos... one nite my older cat escaped and I didn't realize it til the next morning.... I was so heart broken...the other cat was mooping around...meowing as if he'd lost his best friend. Needless to say... every chance I got... I was out calling for him...but never got a clue as to what could've happened. I was thinking the worst... the dog or worse had gotten him. It was late... nearly 11PM that nite and I just decided to give him one last call... strangely I thought I had heard him meow back... then thought.. I was just wishing him so much that I was making it up... but... he continued to meow and cry... so I grabbed a light... headed out to the back of our 3 acres and low and behold... he was hiding up in a flower bed.... so glad I didn't give up on him... guess he was so scared and decided that nite time was the best time to move around. I say all that to say... don't give up on ur baby... keep looking and calling... surly he'll appear like mine did.

Return to Top
#1248420 - 09/10/09 09:22 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts Search_Me
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Thanks - I've gone to the lengths of hiring a Pet Finding Service. The lady uses Bloodhounds that are especially trained to scent cats.

No promises, and the the lady said that more than likely they won't locate him unless he is trapped somewhere or dead, but they can pinpoint where he went and if he is staying in one particular area.

The lady is supposed to be at my house first thing Saturday morning. I am heartsick about this, and I also feel so bad for my daughter. She got him as a kitten when she was going through some very tough times, so he is very special to her.

Return to Top
#1248427 - 09/10/09 09:30 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts Princess Romeo
hmdagal Online
Power Poster
hmdagal
I hope Elliott returns home soon.

Return to Top
#1248536 - 09/11/09 11:59 AM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts hmdagal
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Bonnie, I hope Elliott returns safely.

My declawed Baby cat got out one time, and I looked high and low for her, I had no choice to go to work, when I got home I frantically started to look for her again. And I heard a meow and she was in a window well, scared to death.

Good luck, I hope he's found, safe and sound.

Return to Top
#1248538 - 09/11/09 12:11 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts Retired DQ
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
Bonnie - I hope Elliott makes it home safe and sound!

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1248589 - 09/11/09 01:32 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts Tigg
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I'm so sorry your family is going thru this too. I hope Elliott is found soon. Sending many good thoughts your way..

Return to Top
#1248729 - 09/11/09 03:17 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts HRH Okie Banker
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Don't give up hope, at the shelter we have found cats that have been missing for weeks. Sometimes they just get out of their area and don't know where to go. Have you checked with your local animal shelter?

Return to Top
#1248751 - 09/11/09 03:30 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts MichelleDawn
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We had an outside cat 'run away' a few years ago. We didn't see Sam for four weeks. Then one day my husband and I walked with one of our dogs around the neighborhood. We walked out of one entrance and back in through another. We were just walking - not looking for Sam. When we got to the other entrance I stopped. My husband asked what was going on and I told him I thought I had heard Sam. Never saw anything; however the next day Sam was back at the house - skinny as a rail - but back. I think he had gotten lost <we had only lived there for about a month> and then found his way home by following us.

Return to Top
#1248821 - 09/11/09 04:24 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts Skittles
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Thank you everyone. I am trying to keep a good thought on this, but I can't help but worry about coyotes, especially since the fires nearby may have driven some of them further into neighborhoods looking for prey.

Los Angles Animal Services has an arrangement with a non-profit group where you can go on-line and register your lost pet - description, microchip number, contact info, location and date of disappearance, and photo. I've done that, and I check the lost animal listings on-line, and I will be going to the shelters this weekend as well.

The searcher and her Bloodhound will be here at 6:30 a.m. tomorrow to see if we can figure out which direction he went.

I was working on the LOST CAT posters last night, and upon seeing them, my daughter broke down crying again. **sigh**

Return to Top
#1248930 - 09/11/09 05:38 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts Princess Romeo
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
Prayers for you and your daughter. Pets are members of the family.

Return to Top
#1248974 - 09/11/09 06:15 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts East Texas
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I know how much a cat can help a troubled child. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your daughter. Hope Elliot finds his way home.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1249343 - 09/12/09 05:44 AM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts waldensouth
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Thank you for the good thoughts and prayers. Keep 'em coming! I got a message on my cell phone this evening from someone about 2 blocks away who came across our LOST CAT flyer. He saw a cat matching Elliott's description the other night. He traps and feeds the local strays and had never seen this cat before.

He couldn't get too close because the cat ran away from him. That sounds EXACTLY like how Elliott behaves around people he doesn't know.

The searcher and her dog will be here early tomorrow. I got large posters and small flyers ready to go. Here's hoping.....

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/Exceller/Cats%20and%20Dogs/Picture003.jpg

Return to Top
#1249351 - 09/12/09 03:16 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts Princess Romeo
Happy2BHere Offline
100 Club
Alabama
My kitty, Abner, was gone for 7 days one time. I have no idea where he went but he came back home without a scratch. I pray the same will happen for your family. My kitties are my children since I'm not able to have my own. Cats are amazing creatures and hopefully yours is fine.

Return to Top
#1249364 - 09/13/09 05:04 AM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts Happy2BHere
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I've really been on a roller coaster ride. I talked to the man who said he may have seen my cat, and he identified Elliott out of a "line up" of photos of different but somewhat similar cats. This man does trap-neuter-release and keeps an eye on the local feral colony so he knows cats.

He said he saw the cat either Wednesday or Thursday evening. BUT, I also got a call from a gal who said they found a dead cat in their front yard on Tuesday, and city picked it up. I went to see her, and she had be talk to her neighbor who had a better look at the cat. He too identified Elliott from the photos. He said it was a big cat with a ringed tail - both of those could describe Elliott.

So either Elliott was seen alive on Wednesday or he was already dead by Tuesday.

On Monday I can call the city to find out if Elliott's microchip was scanned from the dead animal pickup. And no, I haven't told my daughter yet.

**sigh**

Return to Top
#1249502 - 09/14/09 02:36 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts Princess Romeo
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
frown

Return to Top
#1250065 - 09/15/09 01:47 AM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts Retired DQ
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Okay - the roller coaster continues.... LA Sanitation said that if the cat picked up on Tuesday was Elliott, I would have been contacted already through the microchip information. So it wasn't him.

BUT - someone else called to say they are certain they saw Elliott Saturday morning in the middle of a busy intersection near where he was sighted on Wednesday - but that he was quite dead after being run over. It's too soon for the city to have processed that microchip information. OTOH - the Bloodhounds were very close to that location Saturday morning, so if it WAS Elliott, they should have alerted the handler but they didn't. They did not seem to pick up his scent any closer to the busy street from where he had been seen.

So we are going to continue with flyers, posters, and walking around the area calling him.

Return to Top
#1250091 - 09/15/09 10:56 AM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts Princess Romeo
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
I hope there's a happy ending here Bonnie. Give your daughter a hug.

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1250244 - 09/15/09 03:34 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts Tigg
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Thank you!

Return to Top
#1250400 - 09/15/09 06:50 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts Princess Romeo
Big Sis Offline
I'm still praying that Elliott will come home safe and sound. Don't give up on him. Loved cats know where the food and love are and will return to that place.

Return to Top
#1250632 - 09/15/09 10:52 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts Big Sis
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
Can't wait to hear from you....praying you have good news!!!

Return to Top
#1251823 - 09/17/09 01:01 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts KTMiteComply
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
Another tale - one of ours lost her way in an unexpected snowstorm and returned 7 days later, skinnier and very glad to see us. I know it's not the same as what you're experiencing now, but I hope it's comforting to know that that pets' attachments to their owners are very strong, and many will find their way back as they can...

Return to Top
#1252099 - 09/17/09 04:06 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts Phoenix
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I'm praying this all turns out well, but remember if the worst does happen that shelters are bursting at the seams with cats looking for a loving home. Just judging by your posts, I can't imagine a more loving home for a little kitty in need.

Return to Top
#1252451 - 09/17/09 08:47 PM Re: Lost cat - need some positive thoughts MichelleDawn
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Thank you everyone. No sign yet of Elliott. We've had a couple of "false positives" (who ever thought looking for a lost pet could resemble OFAC compliance in any way shape or form?) but they have not turned out to be Elliott.

City animal services says his microchip has not been scanned from any animals picked up or brought into the shelter, or any dead animals picked up by the sanitation department.

We'll keep looking and also hoping he turns up and praying that he's okay. Right now, as far as getting another cat, that will be up to my duaghter. Elliott was her cat, so I'm not going to suggest anything that might resemble "replacing" him.

I still have my Romeo (he's the cat I've had for the last 14 years) and we also rescued another little kitty earlier this year. She belonged to a friend of my daughters whose mom didn't like the cat, so the mom turned it into the shelter and said it had a "behavior problem."

Daughter's friend was devastated because that's like a death sentance at the shelter. So we adopted her. She's a funny little thing, very tiny and very, very shy. Over the last 6 months she's come out of her shell a bit and is very affectionate. However any sudden noise of movement and she's flying under the furniture to hide.

I'll let you guys know of any developments. Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett