Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#125408 - 10/24/03 06:17 PM Geomagnetic Storm
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Looks like CubDave left the office just in time to miss the storm. (the caps are not mine, they are from the Emergency Network.)

A POSSIBLE STRONG GEOMAGNETIC STORM IS HEADED TOWARDS THE EARTH AND IS EXPECTED TO REACH EARTH FRIDAY AFTERNOON OCTOBER 24, 2003. THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF OUTAGES AND INTERRUPTIONS OF CELL PHONE AND PAGER SERVICE BECAUSE OF ELECTROMAGNETIC INTERFERENCE. SATELLITES ARE ALSO VERY VULNERABLE TO SOLAR ACTIVITY. SOLAR ACTIVITY IS RATED ON A SCALE OF 1 TO 5 WITH 5 BEING THE MOST INTENSE. THE STORM APPROACHING IS EXPECTED TO BE A 3, OR MODERATE.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#125409 - 10/24/03 06:23 PM Re: Geomagnetic Storm
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
And for those who don't know about geomagnetic storms:

Geomagnetic storms are major disturbances of the magnetosphere that occur when the interplanetary magnetic field turns southward and remains southward for an prolonged period of time. During a geomagnetic storm's main phase, which can last as long as two to two and a half days in the case of a severe storm, charged particles in the near-Earth plasma sheet are energized and injected deeper into the inner magnetosphere, producing the storm-time ring current. This phase is characterized by the occurrence of multiple intense substorms, with the attendant auroral and geomagnetic effects. (The nature of the relationship between magnetic storms and substorms is a matter of some controversy.) When the interplanetary field turns northward again, the rate of plasma energization and inward transport slows and the various loss processes that remove plasma from the ring current can begin to restore it to its pre-storm state. In the case of a great storm, such as the one of 6 February 1986, the ring current can take over a month to fully return to its quiet state. The drop in the surface magnetic field strength during the main phase of a geomagnetic storm is typically preceded by a brief rise in the field strength (see the entry for Dst index). This increase is caused by an intensification of the magnetopause current that occurs as increased solar wind dynamic pressure drives the magnetopause inward by as much as four Earth radii. This phenomenon, which is known as the storm sudden commencement (SSC), marks the beginning of the initial phase of the storm.

Recurrent vs. non-recurrent storms

Geomagnetic storms are classified as recurrent and non-recurrent. Recurrent storms occur every 27 days, corresponding to the Sun's rotation period. They are triggered by the Earth's encounters with the southward- oriented magnetic field of the high-pressure regions formed in the interplanetary medium by the interaction of low- and high-speed solar wind streams co-rotating with the Sun. Recurrent storms occur most frequently in the declining phase of the solar cycle. Non-recurrent geomagnetic storms, on the other hand, occur most frequently near solar maximum. They are caused by interplanetary disturbances driven by fast coronal mass ejections (CMEs) and typically involve an encounter with both the interplanetary shock wave and the CME that drives it.
courtesy of: http://pluto.space.swri.edu

Return to Top
#125410 - 10/24/03 06:31 PM Re: Geomagnetic Storm
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Geomagnetic storms are major disturbances of the magnetosphere that occur when the interplanetary magnetic field turns southward and remains southward for an prolonged period of time. During a geomagnetic storm's main phase, which can last as long as two to two and a half days in the case of a severe storm, charged particles in the near-Earth plasma sheet are energized and injected deeper into the inner magnetosphere, producing the storm-time ring current. This phase is characterized by the occurrence of multiple intense substorms, with the attendant auroral and geomagnetic effects. (The nature of the relationship between magnetic storms and substorms is a matter of some controversy.) When the interplanetary field turns northward again, the rate of plasma energization and inward transport slows and the various loss processes that remove plasma from the ring current can begin to restore it to its pre-storm state. In the case of a great storm, such as the one of 6 February 1986, the ring current can take over a month to fully return to its quiet state. The drop in the surface magnetic field strength during the main phase of a geomagnetic storm is typically preceded by a brief rise in the field strength (see the entry for Dst index). This increase is caused by an intensification of the magnetopause current that occurs as increased solar wind dynamic pressure drives the magnetopause inward by as much as four Earth radii. This phenomenon, which is known as the storm sudden commencement (SSC), marks the beginning of the initial phase of the storm.

Geomagnetic storms are classified as recurrent and non-recurrent. Recurrent storms occur every 27 days, corresponding to the Sun's rotation period. They are triggered by the Earth's encounters with the southward- oriented magnetic field of the high-pressure regions formed in the interplanetary medium by the interaction of low- and high-speed solar wind streams co-rotating with the Sun. Recurrent storms occur most frequently in the declining phase of the solar cycle. Non-recurrent geomagnetic storms, on the other hand, occur most frequently near solar maximum. They are caused by interplanetary disturbances driven by fast coronal mass ejections (CMEs) and typically involve an encounter with both the interplanetary shock wave and the CME that drives it.

And here I thought a giant magnet was heading our way! Your explanation makes more sense.

Return to Top
#125411 - 10/24/03 06:31 PM Re: Geomagnetic Storm
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
mmm...Corona

Return to Top
#125412 - 10/24/03 06:35 PM Re: Geomagnetic Storm
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Thank you very much for the explaination Maria. I just have one question for you..."HUH"???

Return to Top
#125413 - 10/24/03 06:40 PM Re: Geomagnetic Storm
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
I'm making a foil hat just in case.

Return to Top
#125414 - 10/24/03 06:45 PM Re: Geomagnetic Storm
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
You go, Ken! My co-worker just looked at me 'cuz I busted out laughing.

Return to Top
#125415 - 10/24/03 06:50 PM Re: Geomagnetic Storm
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Basically, don't worry if the power goes out, it's only temporary.
Oh and Ken H, don't forget the rubber shoes!
And Nikko, do a google search on it, there were lots of articles. Here is another, not so techhy one.

Return to Top
#125416 - 10/24/03 07:08 PM Re: Geomagnetic Storm
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Basically, don't worry if the power goes out, it's only temporary.
Oh and Ken H, don't forget the rubber shoes!
And Nikko, do a google search on it, there were lots of articles. Here is another, not so techhy one.

Thanks. That helped. I'm not much of an astronomy type person. So is this what the movie "Frequency" was playing off of?

Return to Top
#125417 - 10/24/03 07:42 PM Re: Geomagnetic Storm
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
For those of you in the North (or if you are relatively North), you might be able to see the Northern Lights. I'm not really sure when, I think just look north around midnight.

Return to Top
#125418 - 10/24/03 08:01 PM Re: Geomagnetic Storm
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Actually the forcast isn't that good today
(yes we forcast the aurora viewing opportunities here LOL)

http://www.adn.com/weather/index.html#aurora

On the other hand, we're expecting "sun spots" (much easier to say then "geomagnetic storm") today and tomorrow. We get them quite often here, cell phones die for a few mins, power goes out, etc.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#125419 - 10/24/03 08:13 PM Re: Geomagnetic Storm
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Maybe that explains what happened to the guy on CSI last night!

Did anyone else watch?

Return to Top
#125420 - 10/24/03 08:27 PM Re: Geomagnetic Storm
Gotwood Offline
Platinum Poster
Maria, you've won the Cliff Clavorn award for today!

Return to Top
#125421 - 10/24/03 09:00 PM Re: Geomagnetic Storm
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
Quote:

.. turns southward and remains southward for an prolonged period of time.

So that's why the Yankees suck!

Return to Top
#125422 - 10/27/03 01:31 PM Re: Geomagnetic Storm
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Maria, you've won the Cliff Clavorn award for today!

That's funny!

Return to Top
#125423 - 10/27/03 04:24 PM Re: Geomagnetic Storm
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
Maria, did you major in science or what????

Return to Top
#125424 - 10/27/03 04:45 PM Re: Geomagnetic Storm
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
No, waco, I majored in Google. Now, y'all know I ain't no genius!
But my head really is crammed with useless knowledge... lots of useless knowledge. I wish it would all clear out and make room for something important.

Return to Top
#125425 - 10/27/03 05:28 PM Re: Geomagnetic Storm
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

Maybe that explains what happened to the guy on CSI last night!

Did anyone else watch?

Yeah, my daughter has had to cheer every Thursday night since the middle of August, but this week the game was Tuesday, so I FINALLY caught the show. I've thought about recording them, but this way when everyone else is complaining about re-runs, they'll be new to me!

That would have been a great Grissom theory. Have you played the CSI computer game?

Return to Top
#125426 - 10/28/03 06:28 PM Re: Geomagnetic Storm
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
There was another solar flare, and this one was a lot bigger than last weeks. Possibly the third biggest EVER recorded. It is sheduled to hit tomorrow around noon (eastern time), and last for almost up to 2 days! The Northern Lights are supposed to be fantastic because of this. They are also worried about massive power failure and satelite disruption.....but the northern lights should be cool!

Return to Top