Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1255818 - 09/23/09 08:27 PM Reg Z and Loans to Trusts
80's Lady Offline
Gold Star
We have been tossing this question around in the Loan Department and I think we have totally confused ourselves! Since the MDIA changes to Reg Z on 7/30 do you have to do a TIL on a loan to a Trust secured by a dwelling? Example: Couple buys a second home in their Trust name - I know the Trust is not a natural person and this was clear to us no TIL was needed before the Reg Z changes, but since it is a "consumer dwelling" they are buying would the TIL be necessary?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1255823 - 09/23/09 08:28 PM Re: Reg Z and Loans to Trusts 80's Lady
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
It's not a consumer's dwelling if the trust owns it. The trust is not a consumer.

Return to Top
#1255890 - 09/23/09 09:05 PM Re: Reg Z and Loans to Trusts Dan Persfull
80's Lady Offline
Gold Star
As always, thank you Dan! With all of these changes the most basic things have become confusing.

Return to Top
#1255917 - 09/23/09 09:31 PM Re: Reg Z and Loans to Trusts 80's Lady
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Not to muddy the waters, but we do the loan to the trust and the borrowers as individuals in case they decide to take it out of the trust during the life of the loan. We do disclosures to the individuals.

Return to Top
#1256102 - 09/24/09 01:30 PM Re: Reg Z and Loans to Trusts Truffle Royale
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
In that case you would only have to do a TIL at closing because you are now making the loan to a "natural person". The dwelling however is still not a consumer's dwelling because it is owned by the trust at the time you made the loan, therefore 226.19(a) would not apply.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z